Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Blu Ray

Default Re: If you had to pick: Grizzly Bear vs. Silverback Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Should make them fight on a moving cruise ship
    There's so many possibilities. We got motherf*cking Silverback GO-rilla's fighting motherf*cking Grizzly bears on motherf*cking cruise ships!

i gotta take the bear, more powerful, and i dont think they are dumber when hunting and fighting

one bite would be a devasting to the gorilla, while the gorilla doesnt know how to knock out the opponent, whats the point

depends. Does Gorilla get prep time?

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Ok so i posted this in another thread and nobody knew, so maybe in this meeting of animal enthusiasts somebody will have an idea.

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?

It's like a cat mixed with a rabbit mixed with a squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by zabuza666
    have you ever seen a silverback gorilla's teeth?

Gorilla in a landslipe, infact i'm hard pressed to think of an animal that would beat a silverback in a fight
    IIRC from watching those shows and reading about this shit in the past, it goes: elephant > rhino > polar bear > maybe a hippo, but I don't quite remember at this point. A polar bear or grizzly would wreck a silverback. I don't know how anyone could take a silverback and especially a silverback in a landslide. That's silly.

i would bet that shaq could survive a grizzly bear attack

5-time NBA All-Star

Let's break it down.

Strength:
    -Grizzlies are reported to be able to swipe their paws enough to wipe a person's head clean off. That means demolishing the tension strength of the f*cking cervical vertebrate. Gorillas have awesome pulling strength, as extrapolated by the Chimps pulling power, but how often do they have to push things. You don't friggin pull someone towards u in a fight unless u into muay thai clinches nikka.

Defense
    - Fur thickness... GB again. Bear must sustain harsh winters in their natural location, and has thick skin alongside a good amount of fur. Gorillas are located in a thick Congo rainforest. Though it's got a nice covering around their body, it's neither as thick or voluminous. It'd be like comparing Hawker's helmet to Phar's untrimmed vaj. No contest!

Speed
    - Grizzlies can run up to 25 mph in small doses. Gorillas are quick for their size, but one's tackling power is far superior.

The gorillas only hope is to somehow target GB's gonads, or sink canines in the vulnerable area that is its throat. BUt the motherf*cker has two paws to defy this. Two pawz of death.

As previously mentioned a huge part of the equation is their mentality. ONE's a f*cking OMNIVORE, and the other strictly vegetarian. Gorillas have to mess around with wolverines, wolves, pumas, foxes, amongst other pesky critters that get in their way. We can safely assume that bears have superior sight, a strong killer instinct.

Btw, as an animal lover I much prefer the gorilla. I think they're far cooler and the chief silvyback in Tarzan is one of my childhood heroes. But Pete summed it up quite nicely in the beginning.

A better match-up would be Grizzly vs. hippo or buffalo or. Bears LITERALLY sh!t on Big Cats and non-ungulate herbivores.

Let the gorilla at a lion.
    Let the crocodiles attack the anacondas.
    Let the mongoose at the cobra.
    Hype up the wolf and jaguar fights.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

the bear wins hands down. they are natural predators, they are designed to kill other animals. gorillas are herbivores that mostly use their formidable appearance as a deterrent. ignoring the fact that the bear has all of the advantages (except higher intelligence), the gorilla is simply not designed to kill other animals. protect against and deter other animals maybe but not kill them.

apart from a giraffe kick, i don't think any herbivore could take down a grizzly on their own.

any land animal, possibly a siberian tiger, but even then they have the same weight disadvantage that a gorilla has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UztB1...ayer_embedded#!

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    the bear wins hands down. they are natural predators, they are designed to kill other animals. gorillas are herbivores that mostly use their formidable appearance as a deterrent. ignoring the fact that the bear has all of the advantages (except higher intelligence), the gorilla is simply not designed to kill other animals. protect against and deter other animals maybe but not kill them.

apart from a giraffe kick, i don't think any herbivore could take down a grizzly on their own.

any land animal, possibly a siberian tiger, but even then they have the same weight disadvantage that a gorilla has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UztB1...ayer_embedded#!
    Elephants are a significantly bigger threat (mass, tusks, hide, trunk) than a giraffe kick,but otherwiseI agree.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    I have heard that they are really smart and vengeful. I heard that a group of them attacked a village that had killed an elephant and were dragging people out of their huts and ripped them apart.
    Incredible. You can see the wisdom and unforgotten memories in their melancholic, seemingly peaceful eyes. Horton ain't a proper depiction of our ivory-blessed friends. I love how the baby elephant calf hangs onto the mother's tail too.. it's quite a site to behold.

Hornets and yellowjackets commit the same thing right? Like a certain Japanese wasp took down a bees nest with only twenty compadre.

ANd so do the Velociraptors in the Jurassic park 3 movie

Word on the street is that chimps participate in a bartering system with fleas in exchange for sexual favors. And birds will cheat on their monogamous partners if they're not caught.

Point is if any motherf*cker considers us sacred, we best be silencin their dumbazzes. Would u happen to know any other interesting social behaviors of any creatures anti-hero?

chimp wins

hand-to-hand

or strapped

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    What do chimps have to do with Silverback Gorillas? Other than that they're the same species? Do all dolphins act the same because they're the same species? Try again. Gorillas are strong animals that use brute force to fight whoever they have to fight. I highly doubt they've ever used their teeth in fights especially when they've probably never encountered another animal that they couldn't easily beat by not just using their strength and pummeling it to death.

People need to realize that these two animals have never faced each other, they aren't natural enemies. So to say one animal is going to do something against the other is pure guess-work. You have to gauge each others strength and weakness overall and judge from that.

And there's no such thing as home field advantage. It would have to be a neutral zone.
    Them not having met previously and having a feel for each other IMO is what allows the SB's intelligence to be utilized. [For the record, I am not informed on the intelligence of SBs, but it seems to be the consensus that they have a substantial advantage over the bears in this department(only from what I read in this thread, though, haha)]. So with that in mind, intelligence, IMO, is defined as the following- "Intelligence is what you do when you don't know." (I don't remember who said it). Intelligence isn't being able to read a book and remember facts- that is knowledge. Intelligence is the mental capability of being able to look at, absorb, analyze, and be able to think critically as to how to solve a problem that you have not encountered before. Or being able to figure out ways of dealing with something new.

So by that definition, I would say this give the SB a distinct advantage against the bear. Having never met and not knowing how to deal with each other plays into being able to think critically by absorbing the environment, assessing the situation, and using that to their advantage. The bear has been made out to be a simpleton (here) and as such, would use the strategy it knows and uses in general. The SB has been made out to be a critical thinker, so it would take into account the bear's size and how to use its (SB) physical attributes in the environment to give itself the advantage.

Personally, I think the grizzly would win. But I am just going off what I know about grizzlies, since I do not know anything about silverback gorillas specifically, other than what has been presented in this thread and a few other things I have seen (but definitely not enough to gauge its capabilities, physical or mental, in relation to a grizzly).

5-time NBA All-Star

Juge-Juge. Great post. But need some clarification.

I thought "being smart" was akin to being street smart, which meant using your intelligence to adapt, survive, and propser through your environment. Basically a rich man was smarter than a poor man, even if he was less educated than said poor guy. Application Like if you were to build something from scratch such as a hoverboard w/o the alotted Ikea instructions.. you would use past knowledge of motorcycles and whatnot and acknowledge the ELEMENTS behind it.

I thought intelligence was simply one's ability to cognitively function properly. Like Intelligence Quota measures ones aptitude against the modus tollens, analogies, mathematical problems, scrambled words, which one doesn't fit, deductive reasoning, inductive reasong. Like the "process" necessary to acquire knowledge. The How What you get out of a great education essentially. THe mental skillset.

And then knowledge was the accumulation of facts as you mentioned, and wisdom was something else.. quite similar to "smartness."

I confused, but I like where you're getting at. I just didn't know intelligence was the proper word behind it hmmm..

Plus you've got to remember that grizzlies can experienc ea variety of seasons.. from blazing summers catching salmon by a stream to ice-cold SNOW hibernating in the winter within a cave, to springtime where trees frolick around. The gorilla is pretty much in a tropical jungle his whole life lol.

some people are really over emphasizing the gorilla's intelligence. are they smarter then the GB? sure, but he's not gonna sit there, analyze the situation and come with some strategic tactic to defeat a physically superior opponent.

apes do use strategy, but that strategy is either taught or learned from trial and error. the gorilla will initially react on instinct when facing a GB, and lose..

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juges8932
    Them not having met previously and having a feel for each other IMO is what allows the SB's intelligence to be utilized. [For the record, I am not informed on the intelligence of SBs, but it seems to be the consensus that they have a substantial advantage over the bears in this department(only from what I read in this thread, though, haha)]. So with that in mind, intelligence, IMO, is defined as the following- "Intelligence is what you do when you don't know." (I don't remember who said it). Intelligence isn't being able to read a book and remember facts- that is knowledge. Intelligence is the mental capability of being able to look at, absorb, analyze, and be able to think critically as to how to solve a problem that you have not encountered before. Or being able to figure out ways of dealing with something new.

So by that definition, I would say this give the SB a distinct advantage against the bear. Having never met and not knowing how to deal with each other plays into being able to think critically by absorbing the environment, assessing the situation, and using that to their advantage. The bear has been made out to be a simpleton (here) and as such, would use the strategy it knows and uses in general. The SB has been made out to be a critical thinker, so it would take into account the bear's size and how to use its (SB) physical attributes in the environment to give itself the advantage.

Personally, I think the grizzly would win. But I am just going off what I know about grizzlies, since I do not know anything about silverback gorillas specifically, other than what has been presented in this thread and a few other things I have seen (but definitely not enough to gauge its capabilities, physical or mental, in relation to a grizzly).
    SBs aren't smart like therye some great critical thinkers and problem solvers where they'll be able to scope out the environment and make a plan to kill the bear in a few quick seconds.

They just use tools and have an advanced social structure in their communities.

A gorilla is like a really, really stupid human. It's not much of an advantage.