Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Egyptian Protests

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard
    Yeah, it is. There was an article about this but it has been taken down.
    Oh my gosh, this is madness. If we ignore this we'll be in the future talking about how it started with Egypt and we ignored it because it seemed unlikely to happen to us. But think of how helpless we really would be if all communication was cut off.

What do the people in Egypt want us to do? I saw some names listed in that link of ISPs and such, do we email them or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk
    Oh my gosh, this is madness. If we ignore this we'll be in the future talking about how it started with Egypt and we ignored it because it seemed unlikely to happen to us. But think of how helpless we really would be if all communication was cut off.

What do the people in Egypt want us to do? I saw some names listed in that link of ISPs and such, do we email them or something?
    Seems like they want us to boycott the companies listed in the letter, and spread the word I guess. I never heard of any of them.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Damn riots going on EVERYwhere..

Europe is getting riots daily(Italy, England, Portugal, Albania, Greece, etc)
    Middle East and I'm sure some East asian country under some tyrant is about to revolt aswell.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

The media just doesn't cover these stories. I check the news sites every day and I've barely seen any mention of this. I know Oprah has a long lost sister tho

Good to see the people fighting the power. I'd like to think I had the balls to do the same if it happened here.

He shoots, he bricks. Mr. Grieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    The media just doesn't cover these stories. I check the news sites every day and I've barely seen any mention of this. I know Oprah has a long lost sister tho

Good to see the people fighting the power. I'd like to think I had the balls to do the same if it happened here.
    Yeah I've only seen it covered on BBC World News and Jon Stewart's The Daily Show of all places.

just another thing for me to realize i don't know $hit about what's going on. then put it all in a spin cycle for political gains while nothing improves. repeat. yep, i'm pretty cynical about humanity at this point. i just hate researching something for hours and hearing opinions instead of events happening from the egytpian perspective. i'm not sure that can be replicated. i'm damn sure it will be politicized.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 01-28-2011 at 07:10 AM.

11.03am: Al-Jazeera reports that teargas has been fired at protesters in Alexandria.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grieves
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcMZQQPBcHo

Heavy sh*t is going down in Egypt right now.

good video.

Fresh protests erupt in Egypt

Protesters take to the streets demanding President Mubarak's ouster despite a security clampdown

"Egypt's Muslims and Christians will go out to fight against corruption, unemployment and oppression and absence of freedom," the page with more than 70,000 signatories said.

The Associated Press news agency reported that an elite special counterterrorism force had been deployed at strategic points around Cairo as Egypt's interior ministry warned of "decisive measures".

All politics. Somebody is provoking, paying for and organizing this mess. The government should deploy the military and declare rioters will be shot dead on sight.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

My friends are in Egypt and they cant use phones so their families are terrified.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    All politics. Somebody is provoking, paying for and organizing this mess. The government should deploy the military and declare rioters will be shot dead on sight.

Why do you feel that way?

An Icon Forever

An Icon Forever

Protests now in Jordan!!!

Thousands of people in Jordan have taken to the streets in protests, demanding the country's prime minister step down, and the government curb rising prices, inflation and unemployment.

In the third consecutive Friday of protests, about 3,500 opposition activists from Jordan's main Islamist opposition group, trade unions and leftist organisations gathered in the capital, waving colourful banners reading: "Send the corrupt guys to court".

The crowd denounced Samir Rifai's, the prime minister, and his unpopular policies.

Many shouted: "Rifai go away, prices are on fire and so are the Jordanians.''

Another 2,500 people also took to the streets in six other cities across the country after the noon prayers. Those protests also called for Rifai's ouster.

Members of the Islamic Action Front, the political wing of the Muslim Brotherhood and Jordan's largest opposition party, swelled the ranks of the demonstrators, massing outside the al-Husseini mosque in Amman and filling the downtown streets with their prayer lines.

King Abdullah has promised some reforms, particularly on a controversial election law. But many believe it is unlikely he will bow to demands for the election of the prime minister and Cabinet officials, traditionally appointed by the king.

Rifai also announced a $550 million package of new subsidies in the last two weeks for fuel and staple products like rice, sugar, livestock and liquefied gas used for heating and cooking. It also includes a raise for civil servants and security personnel.

Record deficit

However, Jordan's economy continues to struggle, weighed down by a record deficit of $2bn this year.

Inflation has also risen by 1.5 per cent to 6.1 per cent just last month, unemployment and poverty are rampant - estimated at 12 and 25 per cent respectively.

Ibrahim Alloush, a university professor, told the Associated Press that it was not a question of changing faces or replacing one prime minister with another.

"We're demanding changes on how the country is now run," he said.

He also accused the government of impoverishing the working class with regressive tax codes which forced the poor to pay a higher proportion of their income as tax.

He also accused parliament as serving as a "rubber stamp'' to the executive branch.

"This is what has led people to protest in the streets because they don't have venues for venting how they feel through legal means," Alloush said.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...157509196.html

An Icon Forever