Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Egyptian Protests

Wow, this is getting crazy.

He shoots, he bricks. Mr. Grieves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    Wow. I don't see egyptians backing down at this point unless Mubarak steps down, or he kills thousands of them. Hopefully he steps down first. Crazy images.

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseOwnsACamry
    What the HELL is going on down there?

Keep fighting, Egyptian people- fight for your freedom!
    [COLOR="Black"]Fu[/COLOR]ck tyranny!
    It's a country where the government is allowed to do anything. Women are kidnapped on a daily basis and go missing and never return. Work places are burnt down, houses burnt, churches bombed, etc etc. It's like a civil war, without one side fighting back, so it's just straight bullying. Some Egyptian people got fed up with it I guess.

An Icon Forever

Protests now in Yemen:

Tens of thousands of people in Yemen have taken to the streets in the country's capital, calling for an end to the government of Ali Abdullah Saleh, the president.

Inspired by recent events in Tunisia and Egypt, opposition members and youth activists rallied at four different locations in Sanaa on Thursday, chanting for Saleh, who has been in power for 32 years, to step down.

"Enough being in power for [over] 30 years," protesters shouted during the demonstrations.

They also referred to the ouster of Tunisian president Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, saying he was "gone in just [over] 20 years".

"No to extending [presidential tenure]. No to bequeathing [the presidency]," they chanted.

An opposition activist said that the staging of the demonstration in four separate parts of the capital was aimed at distracting the security forces.

One area chosen for the protest was outside Sanaa University. Security measures at the demonstrations appeared relaxed, but were tight around the interior ministry and the central bank.

'Not like Tunisia'

Meanwhile, Saleh's ruling General People's Congress held counter marches attended by thousands of the government's backers.

"No to toppling democracy and the constitution," the president's supporters said in their banners.

In the southern provinces of Dali and Shabwa, riot police used batons to disperse anti-government protesters, while thousands took to the streets in al-Hudaydah province along the Red Sea coast.

In the southern port city of Aden, a 28-year-old unemployed man set himself on fire to protest the economic troubles in the country, an act that echoed that the sparked the uprising in Tunisia. Fouad Sabri was rushed to the hospital in critical condition, medical officials said.

However, Motahar Rashad al-Masri, the Yemeni interior minister, ruled out any resemblance between the protests in Yemen and the public outcry in Tunisia and Egypt.

"Yemen is not like Tunisia," he said, adding that Yemen was a "democratic country" and that the demonstrations were peaceful.

He told Al Jazeera that Yemeni authorities would not curb any demonstrations that are peaceful, regardless of their size.

'Right to protest'

The United States, which has played an increasingly active role in Yemen amid fears that al-Qaeda is using it as a base for attacks, said it backed the right to peaceful protest.

Washington supports the right of Yemenis to "express themselves and assemble freely," Philip Crowley, the US state department spokesman, said.

Saleh was re-elected in September 2006 for a seven-year mandate.

A draft amendment of the constitution, under discussion in parliament despite opposition protests, could allow him - if passed - to remain in office for life.

Saleh is also accused of wanting to pass the reins of power in the impoverished Arabian Peninsula state to his eldest son Ahmed, who heads the elite Presidential Guard.

But in a televised address on Sunday, Saleh denied such accusations. "We are a republic. We reject bequeathing [the presidency]", he said.
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...100660857.html

An Icon Forever

College star

its about time this is happening!!! Go Egypt!!

the worst thing that mubarak and his cronies can do now was to call in the military and try to shut down the protests via force. This probably led to more people hitting the streets and calling for his resignation.

I hope this happens in every fcking middle eastern country. Those guys need a revolution in every country. Enough of these dictators and Kings oppressing people and standing behind the support of the US. I hope this doesn't die down like the one in Iran. If Egypt goes down than watch out for a radical change in the entire middleeast.

so far it seems there are protests and clashes in Jordan, Yemen, and Algeria!

this is awesome.

College star

guns shot in Cairo. Gov't HQ in flames

i look at those live images and it seems this is going to lead somewhere. bunch of people and no police? they are up to something.

An Icon Forever

More information can be found at this thread:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...ge1341188/pg55

Some of the army and police are joining with the protestors!!!

College star

reportedly none of the armed forces is taking any actions against protestors, but rather are supporting them

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    It's a country where the government is allowed to do anything. Women are kidnapped on a daily basis and go missing and never return. Work places are burnt down, houses burnt, churches bombed, etc etc. It's like a civil war, without one side fighting back, so it's just straight bullying. Some Egyptian people got fed up with it I guess.
    I used to live there, as an American I was allowed to do anthing, snort lines infront of cops, buy alchohol as a 14 year old it was awesome. Hopefully the government that replaces Mubarak will keep letting this awesome shit happen.

THE TICKETS TO SHARM KEEP GOING LOWER AND LOWER HELL YES-Sharm el sheik spring break here I come!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
    i look at those live images and it seems this is going to lead somewhere. bunch of people and no police? they are up to something.
    The police are all armed with assault rifles, and though they work for the government, they all come from the small villages outside of cairo and alexandria I dont think they'd fire on their own people

An Icon Forever

UPDATES

-Protesters have stormed the Foreign Ministry Building and the State TV Building
    -The Military has been deployed to Cairo, Alexandria, and Suez
    -The Military is being welcomed with open arms by protesters
    -The Ruling Party Headquarters has been set on fire
    -More than 50,000 Protesters have taken to the streets in Cairo
    -Fires have broken out all over Cairo
    -Police and Security Forces have been overwhelmed in several locations
    -Curfew has been set for all of Egypt however remains entirely unenforced
    -The Internet has been completely shut off throughout Egypt, including mobile cell networks

Banned

I can't believe what I'm witnessing. Egyptian People finally unite & Revolt. Its been a long time coming (30years). Better late than never.

Bye Bye Hosni Mubarak.

You did Misr (Egypt). Congratulation.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

So once Mubarak is deposed how long will it be until the Muslim Brotherhood takes power and instills an Islamic Fundamentalist regime?