Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe Bryant vs Michael Jordan ( who was the better in game dunker )

Vince is number one.

The thing about Jordan is that since there was no 3 seconds defensive rule back then, he has an insane amount of face to face dunks on all the great centers in the 90s. That's what I call really dunking on someone, not like in this era where someone comes from the side, barely makes contact with Kobe or whoever is dunking, and they call it dunking on them. Not criticizing the era, but the 3 seconds defensive rule.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Good video and good question. To each his own, I guess. They are both very good and both less spectacular than Vince Carter.

MJ was more powerful, jumped higher, was quicker and more decisive. Kobe's ingame dunks are more creative though. If you want athletic ability, Jordan. If choreography, Kobe. If both, Vince.
    Last edited by elementally morale; 02-05-2011 at 11:19 AM.

You have to be kidding me?

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sh0wtime
    You have to be kidding me?
    After having watched the top10 windmill dunks by VC posted in this thread earlier, both MJ and Kobe look rather pedestrian.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

This thread turned into a who's homers are more obnoxious, Kobe's or Jordan's. So far Jordan's by a hair

I find it funny how posters say things like don't disrespect another player to promote your own. I defend Miller's statement against Griffin and I get told this, and yet a whole thread goes on about it and nothing said.

Typical

Quote Originally Posted by griffmoney1784
    kobes hangtime in slightly worse. while his creativity is 10 times jordans

how can someone say theyre the greatest dunker ever when they never even did a 360 in a game or a dunk contest

or a between the legs

or a legit windmill

jordans windmill is a steve francis like bent arm windmill motion. while kobe has done the full extended arm one mutiple times
    Lol too bad he was one of the most dull dunkers of all time in the dunk contest....

Banned

Top In Game Dunkers of Ever Times.

1. Blake Griffin
    2. Vince Carter
    3. Shawn Kemp
    4. Dominique Wilkins
    5. Kobe Bryant
    6. Michael Jordan
    7. Amare Stoudemire
    8. Kenyon Martin
    9. Dr. J
    10. LeBron James

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysus
    Top In Game Dunkers of Ever Times.

1. Blake Griffin
    2. Vince Carter
    3. Shawn Kemp
    4. Dominique Wilkins
    5. Kobe Bryant
    6. Michael Jordan
    7. Amare Stoudemire
    8. Kenyon Martin
    9. Dr. J
    10. LeBron James
    I respect your list but:

Vince by far and away is number 1.

I'd have Shaq in there.

Kenyon and Amare over Julius?

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Kobe could bring the ball back further on dunks(longer arms?), which gave his dunks more authority. Have no problem with people considering him a better dunker.

Banned

Jordan dunked more, got higher and was more graceful. Creativity goes to Kobe doe imo

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeezy
    I respect your list but:

Vince by far and away is number 1.

I'd have Shaq in there.

Kenyon and Amare over Julius?
    Blake is better my friend.

Shaq is good, but not my top 10 material. Dr. J is not a better in game dunker than Amare and Kenyon. Life tells us to respect the past, but don't go overboard my friend. Most of his dunks are really basic one hand jams, nothing special.

Local High School Star

Kobe Top 20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou9RzVSOdUQ
    I love the double pump dunks in traffic
    And who said Kobe can't do a real windmill?

And forget Kobe and MJ. Vince and Dominique were superior dunkers respectively anyways

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

I think Jordan was better at dunking on people, and making contested dunks. It's pretty obvious in the videos of Jordan's dunks, as with no three second rule, there was pretty much always a 7'+ big man contesting shots at the basket at all times except on fast breaks.

Kobe's dunks are more flashy though. The dunks in this era are more flashy in general than the 90's. Playersnow seem to look forward to cherry picking a flashy fast break dunk to make the highlights. There is also no three second rule, so you see more dunks in the halfcourt sets than in the past, since you aren't allowed to protect the paint as well as in the past.

I don't think that makes him a "better dunker" neccessarily, just a flashier one. Basically, Kobe in his prime pulled off flashier in game dunks, but Jordan could force in his dunks pretty much at will, and through more frequent REAL contests at the rim.

So Kobe's look a little better, but Jordan could dunk on people more, and did it more often. Imo, that makes Jordan the "better in game dunker". Taking nothing away from Kobe though, he had some cool-looking dunks.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    I think Jordan was better at dunking on people, and making contested dunks. It's pretty obvious in the videos of Jordan's dunks, as with no three second rule, there was pretty much always a 7'+ big man contesting shots at the basket at all times except on fast breaks.

Kobe's dunks are more flashy though. The dunks in this era are more flashy in general than the 90's. Playersnow seem to look forward to cherry picking a flashy fast break dunk to make the highlights. There is also no three second rule, so you see more dunks in the halfcourt sets than in the past, since you aren't allowed to protect the paint as well as in the past.

I don't think that makes him a "better dunker" neccessarily, just a flashier one. Basically, Kobe in his prime pulled off flashier in game dunks, but Jordan could force in his dunks pretty much at will, and through more frequent REAL contests at the rim.

So Kobe's look a little better, but Jordan could dunk on people more, and did it more often. Imo, that makes Jordan the "better in game dunker". Taking nothing away from Kobe though, he had some cool-looking dunks.
    You think he could dunk as much in todays game? Lebron is twice the athlete Jordan is and many guards that could match MJ yet no one can dunk as much he could? So whoever dunks the most is the best dunker?

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knightfall88
    You think he could dunk as much in todays game?[COLOR="Red"] Lebron is twice the athlete Jordan [/COLOR]is and many guards that could match MJ yet no one can dunk as much he could? So whoever dunks the most is the best dunker?
    Please tell me ur not serious