Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Default Re: Magic Johnson vs. Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    Magic easily. came into the League with immediate impact, helped to take a struggling League to even greater heights while it was fighting to stay afloat. Was a part of the greatest Rivalry next to Wilt and Russell's, and stayed consistent as the Engine of the Laker's offense during his entire career.
    Has his own statue along with the Greatest NBA Nickname of all time. Accolades speak for themselves.

Kobe came into the league acting like MJ, but without the skill set, so he was forced to come off the pine until he developed his game. Made it a personal quest to become the Greatest Jordan Impersonator of all time, all the while shooting his team out of games and not following his coach's instructions.

Helped to run out of town the player responsible for putting him on the map in Shaq, along with inspiring his Hall of Fame, award winning coach to write a book explaining how uncoachable he was. Developed the most zealot filled, cult like following of Fans beyond any rational reasoning when it comes to his place in history or as a Star Player, only recently learning how to be a leader for his team after 15 years in the league.

Whatever happens this year, I'm sticking with Magic as the better Laker.
    Ouch!!! Truth

It'll be a close call by the time Kobe hangs them up. Very close.

NBA rookie of the year ashbelly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    It'll be a close call by the time Kobe hangs them up. Very close.
    we'll he better make good use of his opportunity this season, there will be a new sheriff in town beggining next season.

Quote Originally Posted by ashbelly
    we'll he better make good use of his opportunity this season, there will be a new sheriff in town beggining next season.
    I wouldn't worry about him. He'll be just fine.

If Kobe stays healthy, he should end his career as the longest tenured Lakers player ever and will have spent about half his life playing for the team. I don't know of another player you can say that about. If he wins this year, he and Fisher will also have the most championships as a Laker as well.

People can argue about his impact, his role with the team, his attitude, whatever. Just like with the Kobe all-time ranking debate, it will be very hard not to be impressed with how his career has turned out. It's different now that he's playing and the nostalgia hasn't kicked in. It'll start hitting around 2015. People will be looking around for 'ol 8/24 but he'll be long gone.
    Last edited by KenneBell; 02-07-2011 at 12:32 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    -Magic has more MVP's, and that's not going to change. And that's with '87-'90 Jordan and '87-'88 Bird being present, both among the best primes ever. He also finished second twice, once to peak Bird and once to peak Jordan.
    -He has more Finals' MVP's.
    -He was a better playoff and finals' performer.
    -He didn't have the scoring and long range shooting ability of Kobe, but he had a higher basketball IQ and made use of the whole team - and we are reminded of this every time Kobe tries to take every damn clutch shot and when he fails, people say "hey, his teammates did nothing to help him...".
    -Magic was not always a saint towards his teammates, but no incident in his team ever came close to Kobe's frictions with Shaq. Magic's influence to Westhead's and Nixon's removal didn't bring down the team's success. Shaq's move to Miami brought 3 years of mediocrity to Kobe's team.
    -He did all this up to the age of 31. Kobe is already about a year older than Magic was at the end of the '91 season.
    Hard to add to that. Well stated.

Magic was one of the best decisiion makers the sport ever had: And he was clear headed running at warp speed. Had great intuition to to along with the eyes he had behind his head. He could get a team on the same page and control pace unlike any other player. Knew how to keep players involved in the game. Even his turnovers could be classified as good, as they frequently woke people up or when the ball bounced off their head they became more aware. Never had their been a player so intertwined to the other four players on the court. He was a leader and an inspirational figure head. One of the greatest team players the sport had seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Who's the better Laker?

Has Kobe surpassed Magic at this point?
    Magic

You people do realise that if Kobe is a "better Laker" then he also has a better career already and is a better player than Magic? Which means Kobe is already top 2-4 greatest player of all time?

No, just no.. this is not even debatable, especially not for me who even have Magic at #1 on my top 10 list like i said on the other thread:

1. Earvin "Magic" Johnson
    One of my biggest problems with lists like these is that everyone and their mother puts Jordan on top of the list and shouts down everyone who has a differing opinion. MJ might be the best player ever. But in no way, shape, or form is he the hands down, undisputable number one. Which is why I submit to you, my choice: Magic Johnson.

Consider the following…Magic won his five championships during the best decade the NBA has ever seen. In addition, Magic led his team to the Finals four additional times. That’s nine Finals appearances in a 12 year career! (not including his comeback year, of course.) That’s domination from wire to wire.

And Magic achieved this greatness against far better teams than MJ faced. If you think the NBA wasn’t watered down by the expansion of the ‘90s, you’re flat out crazy. If you think any of the teams the Bulls faced in the Finals were better than the Celtics of the ‘80s, you’re flat out crazy.

In addition, Magic Johnson is often credited with the following: Resurrecting Kareem Abdul Jabbar’s career, being the best passer in NBA history, most versatile player in NBA history, redefining the point guard position and point-forward role, being the only non-center who could utterly dominate a game without scoring, and lest we forget, saving the NBA (along with Larry Bird).

Without Magic there is no MJ. There may have been a basketball player named Michael Jordan, but he wouldn’t have been the household name and global icon we know MJ as today. For that to happen, Magic had to come first. Thus he is my number one.

2.Jordan
    3.Wilt
    4.Bill Russell
    5.Kareem
    6.Bird
    7.Oscar
    8.Shaq
    9.Duncan
    10.Kobe/Hakeem/Jerry West/Julius

You could even debate that Kobe was not a better Laker than Jerry West aswell.
    Last edited by sh0wtime; 02-07-2011 at 02:12 PM.

Banned

Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    Magic is the greatest Laker and Kobe won't catch him.

Magic was a leader from day ONE. According to Phil, Kobe didn't have good leadership qualities until he was in his 12th season. Actually this whole thing isn't even debatable, Magic's leadership is the best in the history of basketball imo. It's something Kobe has always struggled with.

Magic made ALL of his teammates better and the fact that 6'9" could bring the ball up, so versatile. It's not even a debate imo. Magic >>> Kobe. It's not even a debate.

There will never ever be another player like Magic Johnson. If you weren't around to watch him, you just missed out. Youtube highlights just don't do him justice, he was a floor general, a master of basketball with an INSANE level of ball IQ. He ALWAYS knew what to do and what the right play was. He was always talking basically controlling all the players, he was a coach on the floor.

You've got to remember what the old #8 used to play like. He didn't follow the system well, he was a selfish player and wasn't a good teammate. It's a shame it took him so long to understand things better because his skills are in the top 10-15 in NBA history.
    perfect post.
    Magic always knew what he had to do all the time. it was unbelievable to see someone taking the right decision everytime! when you are watching the game on tv, sometimes you see things that will happen or the guy alone in the corner. Magic played with such maturity that he was the type of player to see those things before everyone.

what you said on kobe is very accurate. he is a top 10 all time in terms of talent. but overall, he is the most overrated, especially here.

and as a Laker, Magic, KAJ, West and O'neal are all above him.

and Psileas has underlined something very interesting about Magic he got 3 MVP when Bird and Magic was in GOAT mode. Bird should have 97 and 88 MVP if there was not this magical season by Magic and MJ. Same for MJ he would be 89 and 90 MVP if Magic wasn't there.
    in fact, getting the MVP awad in 87, 88, 89, 90 was totally insane when you considered Bird Magic and MJ's level of basketball.
    Last edited by necya; 02-07-2011 at 02:43 PM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore SFMF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    Magic easily. came into the League with immediate impact, helped to take a struggling League to even greater heights while it was fighting to stay afloat. Was a part of the greatest Rivalry next to Wilt and Russell's, and stayed consistent as the Engine of the Laker's offense during his entire career.
    Has his own statue along with the Greatest NBA Nickname of all time. Accolades speak for themselves.

Kobe came into the league acting like MJ, but without the skill set, so he was forced to come off the pine until he developed his game. Made it a personal quest to become the Greatest Jordan Impersonator of all time, all the while shooting his team out of games and not following his coach's instructions.

Helped to run out of town the player responsible for putting him on the map in Shaq, along with inspiring his Hall of Fame, award winning coach to write a book explaining how uncoachable he was. Developed the most zealot filled, cult like following of Fans beyond any rational reasoning when it comes to his place in history or as a Star Player, only recently learning how to be a leader for his team after 15 years in the league.

Whatever happens this year, I'm sticking with Magic as the better Laker.

Quote Originally Posted by necya
    and as a Laker, Magic, KAJ, West and O'neal are all above him.
    No they aren't. Magic is the probably the only one you can really argue for at this point.

Shaq being higher on the list than Kobe is laughable at best.

High School Varsity 6th Man

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Kobe is a fine player, He is not even in the same sentence as the following:

Magic
    Bird
    MJ
    Wilt
    Russell
    Oscar
    Kareem
    By my count he is about the 4th best Laker. Magic, Kareem, West and Shaq were all either better or more dominate.

ISH' Muslim Community LEFT4DEAD's Avatar

Magic, and it's really not a debate.
    He was far better playoffs performer and I would take his career over Kobe's aswel.

When Kobe retires, he will stay to me just another poor Jordan version, and that's it.
    There will not be even one more "Magic", and that's what it's all about.

KingKobe
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

i love magic but kobes da greatest nig ever

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis
    The reason people criticize Kobe, is because he wasn't the leader on those Shaq led team, where as the day Magic and Bird stepped on the floor, they were the unquestioned leaders for their teams.

Last years finals hurt Kobe's legacy in my opinion, if he is top 5 like everyone claims, he sure hasn't proven it in the finals. Magic is the best Laker ever imo, when Kobe is done with his career its possible he can surpass him.
    Magic was the unquestioned leader of his team from day 1?