Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Serious playground baller Monkey D Dragon's Avatar

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain said scoring 100 points in a game was "a fluky thing."

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    lol something Kobe would never say. Ofcourse Chamberlain had a big ego, like every superstar does, but unlike Kobe his ego didn't reach the "I'm gonna be a heroic superhero" level. Kobe's ego is at that ridiculous level. Allen Iverson's ego was even beyond that.

Even if AI had adapted his game for a long career would never have been able to reduce himself to a role player even if it was for the betterment of the team. MJ and Wilt could. Kobe? I'm not sure about him.
    shut up fan boy learn ur history b4 typing some dumb ssshiiiit

MJ has bigger ego then Kobe u retard. No doubt MJ is great and no reason for him to play 2nd option during his prime but we found out after he came back to the Wizards that HE wil not fucccking play 2nd option not even 3rd in his 40's.

Kobe started from 2nd option retard.

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain said scoring 100 points in a game was "a fluky thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Too bad for that theory that Wilt has actually made 10 game-winning shots in his career (yes, I did the research, because I know that almost anyone else never will), including 2 in the playoffs, which almost certainly puts him ahead of every center all-time except Kareem and Hakeem (I didn't look up for Moses Malone, but I doubt he has that many. Shaq certainly doesn't). BTW, I mean real game-winning shots, not just "scoring the points that sealed the win". Also, he's made 5 OT sending shots. Of course, these are only his offensive game-winners, since he's also made a bunch of game-saving blocked shots as well (including 3 winning blocked shots in a row after having scored the game winning basket during his career's 6th pro game), but that's beside the point.
    10 game-winners? can you list all of them?

I could be wrong, I'm not sure if KAJ can beat Wilt in that category, because as far as I know KAJ had only 6 game-winners.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Another thread to disparage Wilt.

How original.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Another thread to disparage Wilt.

How original.
    I liked the article in OP, shows an awareness and reflective side of Wilt which doesn't quite sit with the conception of him being stat-obsessed and full of bravado. Thread might not have been started in that spirit though

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhqueue
    I liked the article in OP, shows an awareness and reflective side of Wilt which doesn't quite sit with the conception of him being stat-obsessed and full of bravado. Thread might not have been started in that spirit though
    Yes, but the title uses the term "flukey" as if Wilt weren't worthy enough to have such a record.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandreben
    10 game-winners? can you list all of them?

I could be wrong, I'm not sure if KAJ can beat Wilt in that category, because as far as I know KAJ had only 6 game-winners.
    Yes, I can list them, and actually, it seems I made a mistake and that the actual number of GW's is 11. Here's what I got:

1. Nov 10, 1959 vs New York (and 3 GW blocked shots in a row)
    2. Nov 28, 1959 @ New York
    3. Mar 4, 1961 vs Syracuse (FT's)
    4. Feb 19, 1963 vs L.A Lakers
    5. Dec 8, 1963 @ L.A Lakers (FT's)
    6. Dec 28, 1963 @ Baltomore (interestingly, just one game later, he sank the OT basket)
    7. Feb 23, 1964 vs L.A Lakers (he played injured and scored his team's last 5 points)
    8. Mar 5, 1965 @ Cincinatti (scored 16 in 4th Q, blocked 2 shots in the last 18'', he scored the OT basket 3 games later)
    9. Mar 24, 1965 @ Cincinatti (Playoffs. Hits winning FT's, while playing in the last games with a stomach ailment)
    10. Dec 29, 1965 @ Detroit (FT)
    11. Apr 17, 1970 vs Atlanta (Playoffs. Hits winning FT's in the end of OT).

Kareem however is leading all centers, at 14 in the regular season and 3 in the playoffs. Hakeem had 11+1 and then follows Wilt with 9+2.

Magic Johnson

Good stuff.

Yes, I can list them, and actually, it seems I made a mistake and that the actual number of GW's is 11. Here's what I got:

6. Dec 28, 1963 @ Baltomore (interestingly, just one game later, he sank the OT basket)
    7. Feb 23, 1964 vs L.A Lakers (he played injured and scored his team's last 5 points)
    8. Mar 5, 1965 @ Cincinatti (scored 16 in 4th Q, blocked 2 shots in the last 18'', he scored the OT basket 3 games later)
    9. Mar 24, 1965 @ Cincinatti (Playoffs. Hits winning FT's, while playing in the last games with a stomach ailment)

Kareem however is leading all centers, at 14 in the regular season and 3 in the playoffs. Hakeem had 11+1 and then follows Wilt with 9+2.

Banned

scrolled through saw that he was guarded by someone 6'7, stop reading and LOL'd, put any allstar center in the last decade in the same situation and they wouldve score 100 too, put shaq in that game and hed probably score 130, on 90%+

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by KB2clutch
    scrolled through saw that he was guarded by someone 6'7, stop reading and LOL'd, put any allstar center in the last decade in the same situation and they wouldve score 100 too, put shaq in that game and hed probably score 130, on 90%+
    Of course, Wilt had 24 40+ point games against 6-10 (and WORLD-CLASS high-jumper) Bill Russell. Included in those were FIVE 50+ point games (one in a must-win game of the playoffs), and even a 62 point game against him. He also had THREE 60+ point games against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy, including a high game of 73. How many 40 point games did Shaq hang on 6-7 240 lb. Ben Wallace?

I would counter that put Wilt in TODAY's NBA, and facing the vast majority of unskilled clods that man the pivot, and he would be feasting in THIS era. Houston is starting a 6-6 center. Kevin Love is a 6-9 white guy who is running away with the rebounding title. A couple of days ago Dwight Howard hung 33 points on the Knicks, who had the great 6-9 Rony Turiaf guarding him...for 19 minutes. They yanked that inept clown, and went withOUT a center the rest of the game. And does anyone honestly believe that 6-7 Ben Wallace would have won ONE rebounding title in the 60's, much less TWO? Or 6-8 Dennis Rodman outrebounding Russell, Thurmond, and Wilt (and even Lucas) in the 60's? In the playoffs Rodman shrank to a 9.9 rpg player, while Russell and Wilt had entire post-seasons of 30 rpg!

As for the OP, as unbelievable as scoring a 100 points was, the opposing team was stalling, and deliberately fouling Chamberlain's teammates in an effort to prevent it from occurring.

One of the more amusing side-notes to that 100 point game was brought up by 6-10 Darrell Imhoff. He was one of the three Knick centers who gave up the 100 points. A few days later, the two teams met again. Imhoff told the story that he played his heart out. He fronted Wilt. He backed him. He fought him all over the court. He played his heart out, and took a beating in the process. Late in the game he fouled out...and as he was leaving the floor, he received a standing ovation from the NY crowd. He had "held" Chamberlain to 54 points.
    Last edited by jlauber; 03-25-2011 at 09:30 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Repped.

well, you should be repped anyway.

3-time NBA All-Star

The 76ers trailed 110-109 with five seconds to go and called timeout to set up the game-winning play. In an exclusive interview for the book, coach Dolph Schayes recalled that he decided on a play to get Hal Greer a jump shot after Greer first passed the ball inbounds to Chet Walker and then took a return pass.

Of course, the inbounds pass never got to Walker as Havlicek anticipated well and deflected the soft pass to Sam Jones, securing victory for the Celtics.

But 76ers players Johnny Kerr and Al Bianchi revealed that Schayes made his play selection only after Chamberlain backed out as Schayes' No. 1 option.

Recalled Kerr, "Wilt said, 'no don't throw it to me, they'll foul me. They're going to foul me.' Here's a guy that had all kinds of problems being a winner and yet didn't want to take the onus on his shoulders and say, Give me the ball and I'll get it for you.'"

As for Wilt's free-throw fear, in this situation it was completely unfounded. Given the NBA's three-attempts-to-make-two format at the time, even a poor shooter such as Wilt (he shot 46.4 percent from the line in 1965) on average would have made at least one out of three nearly 85 percent of the time. Fouling would not have been a good strategy for the Celtics, who also had stalwart Bill Russell dug in to defend Chamberlain.
    This was an interesting post. Unfortunately, it didn't cover the previous two minutes of the game. The 62-18 Celtics, and with their FIVE HOFers, led the 40-40 Sixers, with their two HOFers, in a game seven, by a 110-101 score. Chamberlain proceeded to score six of his team's final eight points (and eight of their last ten), including going 2-2 from the FT line with 36 secs left, and then a thunderous dunk over Russell with five seconds left, which cut the lead to 110-109. Russell then hit the guidewire with his inbounds pass, which allowed the Sixers to run one more play. Of course, and as usual, one of Russell's teammates, Havlicek, stepped up with the game-ending steal. Russell did play well in that game, with 15 points, on 7-16 shooting, and 29 rebounds. But Wilt was sensational. He scored 30 points, on 12-15 shooting from the field, and grabbed 32 rebounds.

Just one of MANY examples of Wilt "the choker."

Good High School Starter

I didn't save the thread at the first place, it really took me a lot of time to find this thread back... ISH should've done a better job at "user friendly", like I couldn't search your posts by clicking your ID, etc..

This is a great effort in digging out Wilt's GWs!!! Thank you Psileas

KAJ had 3 game winners in Finals if that's what you were talking about those 3 GW the playoffs, or were you really just talked about playoffs only?

Of course it was, he only did it once and never came close to scoring even 90 points ever again...

PlowKing is back.. YES