Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain said scoring 100 points in a game was "a fluky thing."

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    lol something Kobe would never say. Ofcourse Chamberlain had a big ego, like every superstar does, but unlike Kobe his ego didn't reach the "I'm gonna be a heroic superhero" level. Kobe's ego is at that ridiculous level. Allen Iverson's ego was even beyond that.

Even if AI had adapted his game for a long career would never have been able to reduce himself to a role player even if it was for the betterment of the team. MJ and Wilt could. Kobe? I'm not sure about him.
    this is the most absurd post I have ever read on this message board...

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain said scoring 100 points in a game was "a fluky thing."

Only for a limited time.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

da gawd is back

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Yes, I can list them, and actually, it seems I made a mistake and that the actual number of GW's is 11. Here's what I got:

1. Nov 10, 1959 vs New York (and 3 GW blocked shots in a row)
    2. Nov 28, 1959 @ New York
    3. Mar 4, 1961 vs Syracuse (FT's)
    4. Feb 19, 1963 vs L.A Lakers
    5. Dec 8, 1963 @ L.A Lakers (FT's)
    6. Dec 28, 1963 @ Baltomore (interestingly, just one game later, he sank the OT basket)
    7. Feb 23, 1964 vs L.A Lakers (he played injured and scored his team's last 5 points)
    8. Mar 5, 1965 @ Cincinatti (scored 16 in 4th Q, blocked 2 shots in the last 18'', he scored the OT basket 3 games later)
    9. Mar 24, 1965 @ Cincinatti (Playoffs. Hits winning FT's, while playing in the last games with a stomach ailment)
    10. Dec 29, 1965 @ Detroit (FT)
    11. Apr 17, 1970 vs Atlanta (Playoffs. Hits winning FT's in the end of OT).

Kareem however is leading all centers, at 14 in the regular season and 3 in the playoffs. Hakeem had 11+1 and then follows Wilt with 9+2.
    Wow great stuff! Great work Psileas!

Plowking is alive

el pollo loco siiiiiii

Wilt was smooth as f*ck with his words

Local High School Star

One of the greatest scoring performances of all time.

Nice piece

NBA rookie of the year

Really impressive.

Although I think Kareem, Hakeem and Shaq would have been able to do the same thing with that amount of shots and against that competition and era. Probably DRob too.

Tom Meschery (teammate): By the fourth quarter, the Knicks were waiting until the 24-second shot clock was about to expire before they shot. When we had the ball, they were fouling everyone except Wilt so he wouldn't get 100. So we would take the ball out-of-bounds and throw high lobs directly to Wilt near the basket. When Wilt wanted the ball, he was big enough and strong enough to go get it. Guys were hanging on his back, and he was still catching the pass and scoring. I knew it was going to happen when with about five minutes left Wilt dunked one and nearly threw two New York players into the basket with the ball, and Dave Zinkoff yelled over the PA, "Dipper Dunk for 86!"
    lol @ these lowly Knicks trying to prevent Wilt from setting a franchise record, this is so outrageous and shameful...

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    lol @ these lowly Knicks trying to prevent Wilt from setting a franchise record, this is so outrageous and shameful...
    If there's something I've learned reading old quotes and old reports is that you should take them with a grain of salt. And in the same reports it says that Wilt's own teammates fouled the Knicks player so the ball would come back to them.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    It would have to be a flukely thing, right? It only happened once. Any player scoring 60 or more is fluke.
    It was flukey, for the sole fact that he made 28 of 32 free throws.

Too bad for that theory that Wilt has actually made 10 game-winning shots in his career (yes, I did the research, because I know that almost anyone else never will), including 2 in the playoffs, which almost certainly puts him ahead of every center all-time except Kareem and Hakeem (I didn't look up for Moses Malone, but I doubt he has that many. Shaq certainly doesn't). BTW, I mean real game-winning shots, not just "scoring the points that sealed the win". Also, he's made 5 OT sending shots. Of course, these are only his offensive game-winners, since he's also made a bunch of game-saving blocked shots as well (including 3 winning blocked shots in a row after having scored the game winning basket during his career's 6th pro game), but that's beside the point.
    "Almost," indeed, seeing how I did this a long time ago. And your number doesn't match mine. When there's a discrepancy between myself and someone else, I trust myself more, because I know how thorough I am, while most people are less so.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandreben
    I could be wrong, I'm not sure if KAJ can beat Wilt in that category, because as far as I know KAJ had only 6 game-winners.
    Six? Kareem had far more than that. I don't know where that number came from.

Yes, I can list them, and actually, it seems I made a mistake and that the actual number of GW's is 11. Here's what I got:

1. Nov 10, 1959 vs New York (and 3 GW blocked shots in a row)
    2. Nov 28, 1959 @ New York
    3. Mar 4, 1961 vs Syracuse (FT's)
    4. Feb 19, 1963 vs L.A Lakers
    5. Dec 8, 1963 @ L.A Lakers (FT's)
    6. Dec 28, 1963 @ Baltomore (interestingly, just one game later, he sank the OT basket)
    7. Feb 23, 1964 vs L.A Lakers (he played injured and scored his team's last 5 points)
    8. Mar 5, 1965 @ Cincinatti (scored 16 in 4th Q, blocked 2 shots in the last 18'', he scored the OT basket 3 games later)
    9. Mar 24, 1965 @ Cincinatti (Playoffs. Hits winning FT's, while playing in the last games with a stomach ailment)
    10. Dec 29, 1965 @ Detroit (FT)
    11. Apr 17, 1970 vs Atlanta (Playoffs. Hits winning FT's in the end of OT).

Kareem however is leading all centers, at 14 in the regular season and 3 in the playoffs. Hakeem had 11+1 and then follows Wilt with 9+2.
    Your list is missing four that are in my database. So it seems you're still shortchanging Wilt. Kareem has more than the number you've listed for him as well.
    Last edited by ThaRegul8r; 01-27-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: After re-checking, it seems I was mistaken. Your list is missing four of Wilt's game-winners, not six.

Your list is missing four that are in my database. So it seems you're still shortchanging Wilt. Kareem has more than the number you've listed for him as well.
    I'm interested to know which games they are. Yes, I should have written "at least 11 game winning shots", since there were a few games I couldn't obtain all the needed information about. BTW, I consider a game-winning shot, a shot/FT/pair ot FT's/trio of FT's that change the lead for the last time and the score afterwards remains unchanged. I do remember having read about a few more games when Wilt (or Kareem) would score the game sealing points, then followed by some basket that wouldn't change the outcome of the game, but would take away the "game winning shot" from them.

No matter how you want to look at it, Wilt's 100 point game was pretty phenomenal.

3-time NBA All-Star

FWIW...

During Wilt's 14 seasons in the NBA, there were a TOTAL of FIVE 60+ point games, and Baylor had four of them. BTW, Chamberlain had 32 in those 14 years.

That kind of blows away this PERCEPTION that EVERYONE was throwing up HUGE games in the 60's and early 70's.

And Psileas and ThaRegul8r also shot massive holes in the absurd claim that Wilt was somehow a "choker" who "hid" in the big moments of games. At least 11 game-winners, and extremely likely that he had as many as 15. And he (along with Russell) probably had a considerable number of game-saving blocks (or at least altered shots...see Wilt in the CLINCHING game six win of the '67 FINALS.)