Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Harrison Barnes is coming back for sophomore season

15-20, you being a UNC fan I can understand why that was said. Being as ridiculous as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    15-20, you being a UNC fan I can understand why that was said. Being as ridiculous as it is.
    It's not ridiculous, unless this incoming recruiting class is just absolutely ridiculously sick. They should not be a top 10 preseason team.

They lost Irving, Nolan Smith, and Kyle Singler. They don't have another Kyrie Irving to run the point unless Quinn Cook is some major sleeper. Austin Rivers can probably somewhat replicate Nolan Smith's production, but I don't think Rivers will be as efficient of a scorer/distributor as a true freshman as Nolan was as a senior. Kyle Singler kind of sucked the last half of the season but they don't have anyone on their roster right now that's close to being what he was.

Duke lost way too much talent to a preseason top 10 team. Just like myself and a lot of other UNC fans were saying we had zero business being ranked preseason top 10 the last two years. You don't rank a team that high that loses that much talent based on what you perceive as a really good recruiting class.

It's not me saying that about Duke because I'm a UNC fan. I would think that even if I wasn't a UNC fan. If Ohio State was losing Sullinger along with some of their seniors, then I would be saying the same thing about them if people were lauding them as a top 10 team based off their recruiting class and some solid but unproven returning talent.

Great college starter Black Joker's Avatar

to be fair, if we lost sullinger, we don't have nearly the recruiting class that duke has to replace their players, to be considered for top ten. considering last time i checked we had the 14th ranked class, and no superstar recruits, just some very solid 4 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Joker
    to be fair, if we lost sullinger, we don't have nearly the recruiting class that duke has to replace their players, to be considered for top ten. considering last time i checked we had the 14th ranked class, and no superstar recruits, just some very solid 4 stars.
    I was just going off of ESPN's class rankings since Scout and Rivals don't have 2011 team rankings yet. ESPN has Ohio State with the 4th best class and Duke is 3rd.

But, if Ohio State had lost Sullinger along with Diebler, Lighty, and Lauderdale, then I'd still think they had no business being a preseason top 10 team.

Forwards Tyler Zeller and John Henson have already announced their return for the 2011-12 season. Now freshman forward Harrison Barnes will announce his return as well. Barnes is reportedly enrolling into summer classes at the University. Multiple sources say the official announcement will probably come no later than Thursday.
    looks like its true. and barring injury we're cutting down the nets next year

http://isportsweb.com/2011/04/11/barnes-returning/

Sorry, but I'm going to need a more reliable source than isportsweb before I truly believe it. That site is basing that off rumors of Barnes enrolling in summer classes. No credible sites, though, have anything about Barnes officially saying he's coming back.

However, that isportsweb article does provide even more smoke from the "Barnes to return" fire.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Sorry, but I'm going to need a more reliable source than isportsweb before I truly believe it. That site is basing that off rumors of Barnes enrolling in summer classes. No credible sites, though, have anything about Barnes officially saying he's coming back.

However, that isportsweb article does provide even more smoke from the "Barnes to return" fire.
    If I was him I'd turn pro to be honest, selfishly I want him to return to school but right now if he declared he'd be a top 5 lottery pick surely I believe, and I doubt he can or will raise his stock if he returns for another season. If he returns for another season he can only hurt himself in many ways IMO.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    It's not ridiculous, unless this incoming recruiting class is just absolutely ridiculously sick. They should not be a top 10 preseason team.

They lost Irving, Nolan Smith, and Kyle Singler. They don't have another Kyrie Irving to run the point unless Quinn Cook is some major sleeper. Austin Rivers can probably somewhat replicate Nolan Smith's production, but I don't think Rivers will be as efficient of a scorer/distributor as a true freshman as Nolan was as a senior. Kyle Singler kind of sucked the last half of the season but they don't have anyone on their roster right now that's close to being what he was.

Duke lost way too much talent to a preseason top 10 team. Just like myself and a lot of other UNC fans were saying we had zero business being ranked preseason top 10 the last two years. You don't rank a team that high that loses that much talent based on what you perceive as a really good recruiting class.

It's not me saying that about Duke because I'm a UNC fan. I would think that even if I wasn't a UNC fan. If Ohio State was losing Sullinger along with some of their seniors, then I would be saying the same thing about them if people were lauding them as a top 10 team based off their recruiting class and some solid but unproven returning talent.
    You add another Plumlee up front, the best of the bunch arguably too, and the 2 senior Plumlees gain a year of experience. Curry,Rivers and Cook is still a pretty damn good backcourt too. If harrison Barnes could be a preseason all american, Duke can be a preseason top 10 based on freshmen. Rivers is sickly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    You add another Plumlee up front, the best of the bunch arguably too, and the 2 senior Plumlees gain a year of experience. Curry,Rivers and Cook is still a pretty damn good backcourt too. If harrison Barnes could be a preseason all american, Duke can be a preseason top 10 based on freshmen. Rivers is sickly good.
    "You add another Plumlee up front, the best of the bunch arguably too..."

That's pure speculation. Rankings should not be based on players who have never played a minute of college basketball. And it's not like the other two Plumlee brothers have done anything to instill much fear into opposing front courts. They are very good athletes with terrible back to the basket games.

Harrison Barnes had no business being a preseason All-American and UNC had no business being a preseason top 10 team the last two years. After the 2009 season they lost four starters to the NBA Draft and, for some stupid reason, still garnered a top 10 ranking the following preseason. Then, after making the NIT, they get another preseason top 10 ranking based off their recruiting class.

Rivers is sickly good, but he's a black-hole. More than likely Cook isn't going to be as good as Irving. I also don't think Rivers is going to be as good as a true freshman as Nolan Smith was this past season as a senior.

In other words, Duke isn't upgrading at any position, lost two seniors (one a Final Four MOP, the other a 1st team AA), and lost freshman who is the potential #1 overall pick in the draft. However, by the end of this season, Duke was a borderline top 10 team. So, how exactly do they deserve a preseason top 10 ranking for '11-'12 if they don't upgrade at any position, lose as much talent as they lost, and all you can do is speculate on an incoming recruiting class?
    Last edited by KG215; 04-12-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Yea, I doubt it. Though it would be cool if Jones, Sully, and Barnes all stay.

Can these big name college stars staying be a result of the possible lock out tomorrow? If Barnes is really staying this draft is getting weaker by the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    Yea, I doubt it. Though it would be cool if Jones, Sully, and Barnes all stay.
    You do realize all indications - right now - point towards Barnes returning for his sophomore season, right?

Saw a basketball once

I live in the Durham/Chapel Hill area. Barnes still may come out. Alot of GMs are really down on him. I was in Portsmouth, and many think he'll get hurt in terms of his draft position if he goes back to school. More then one called him Terrence Morris with a jumper. Check out some mock drafts. The concensus on nbadraft.net has him around 18.

Local High School Star Harrison_Barnes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pharoahtwon
    I live in the Durham/Chapel Hill area. Barnes still may come out. Alot of GMs are really down on him. I was in Portsmouth, and many think he'll get hurt in terms of his draft position if he goes back to school. More then one called him Terrence Morris with a jumper. Check out some mock drafts. The concensus on nbadraft.net has him around 18.
    Guarantee you that he gets drafted top 5 if not top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by pharoahtwon
    Are GMs actually telling you that he'll hurt his draft position if he goes back? Seeing as how he actually improved quite a bit from the beginning of his freshman year to the end of it, and given his incredible work ethic, it's hard to believe he wouldn't perform at an even higher level next season.

And the actual nbadraft.net mock draft doesn't even have him in their 2011 mock draft. The "consensus" mock draft is random Joe Blows who have signed up for an account and made a mock. If you click on the "recent user consensus" it has Harrison going 35th overall (2nd round). In other words, the consensus mock draft on that site doesn't mean shit. Barnes is easily a top 10 pick and probably would be top 5 if he comes out.