Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL playoffs

Default NHL playoffs

This year is the first time I've watched the NHL since the 2005-06 season. I prefer the pre-lockout way more, but oh well. Anyway, the regular season is done and the playoffs begin later in the week. The matchups are as follows:

1)Washington vs 8)NY Rangers
    2)Philadelphia vs 7)Buffalo
    3)Boston vs 6)Montreal
    4)Pittsburgh vs 5)Tampa Bay

1)Vancouver vs 8)Chicago
    2)San Jose vs 7)Los Angeles
    3)Detroit vs 6)Phoenix
    4)Anaheim vs 5)Nashville

Predictions:

Washington 4-2
    Philadelphia 4-2
    Boston 4-2
    Tampa Bay 4-2

Vancouver 4-1
    San Jose 4-3
    Detroit 4-1
    Nashville 4-1

College star

Default Re: NHL playoffs

Crosby is out for the season right?

Quote Originally Posted by sixerfan82
    Crosby is out for the season right?

He's up in the air for the first round, which starts no later than Thursday. Even if he does play, Malkin is done for the year and Cooke is suspended for the first round.

Prefer Pre-Lockout? You prefer the clutch and grab, teams littered with talentless goons who fight and shit else, super low scoring league of the "dead puck era"?

Isn't post lockout better? We are now seeing slightly smaller more skilled players able to thrive like Patrick Kane without being held up by Derian "Can't skate" Hatcher's stick?

Hateraid/ade! Get on here and make your playoff pool for this year!

My picks:

Van 4
    Chi 1
    Big buff is gone, and Vancouver was just so dominant. I think they get over the hump this year against the Hawks.

Det 4
    Phx (soon to be Winnipeg) 3
    Yeah, Detroit is a vet team who knows how to win. Plus home ice. I have to wonder how bad Zetterberg was injured though. Might worry me a bit. Phx has the goaltending edge too. Will be another close series.

Ana 4
    Nas 3
    This will be a close series. Again, home ice, along with the fact that the Ducks have Jonas Hiller, Corey Perry and Teemu.

SJ 2
    LA 4
    Gotta take the upset here. I really like the match up here for the Kings. But then again, I always like the opposing teams match up when they play the Sharks.

Was 4
    Nyr 1
    Yeah, Washington learned their lesson last year against Montreal. They'll be pissed, and they're playing defense this year.

Phi 4
    Buf 3
    Will Pronger be playing? Should be a good series

Bos 3
    Mtl 4
    HOMER PICK ALERT. 2 years ago, Boston won their one series for every 30 years against Montreal.

Pit 2
    TB 4
    No Crosby, no Malkin. No shootouts in the playoffs either.

Prefer Pre-Lockout? You prefer the clutch and grab, teams littered with talentless goons who fight and shit else, super low scoring league of the "dead puck era"?

You also didn't see ticky tack penalties, players weren't so quick to injure someone because they knew there would be payback(pre-1992), there was no trapezoid, and you had to fight off the opposition's physicality to score.

Isn't post lockout better? We are now seeing slightly smaller more skilled players able to thrive like Patrick Kane without being held up by Derian "Can't skate" Hatcher's stick?

Remember I'm 32, so I grew up watching hockey in the late 80s and 90s. Like basketball, the game has been made easier for offensive players. Derian Hatcher was also a top defenceman in the NHL and was a force on the ice because of his size.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I think I'll catch some of the Ducks n Nucks.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    You also didn't see ticky tack penalties, players weren't so quick to injure someone because they knew there would be payback(pre-1992), there was no trapezoid, and you had to fight off the opposition's physicality to score.

Remember I'm 32, so I grew up watching hockey in the late 80s and 90s. Like basketball, the game has been made easier for offensive players. Derian Hatcher was also a top defenceman in the NHL and was a force on the ice because of his size.
    I wasn't around to see the 80's and early 90's firewagon hockey, but I think I would have preferred that NHL to the 97-04 clutch and grab low scoring hockey.

I'm over 30 and NJ Devils pre lockout hockey is the worst ****ing product and a terrible game to watch.

Yea? Well I'm 12 years old and what is this -----> "NJ Devils Hockey"

Poor rangers

Good college starter EricGordon23's Avatar

1)Washington vs 8)NY Rangers
    2)Philadelphia vs 7)Buffalo
    3)Boston vs 6)Montreal
    4)Pittsburgh vs 5)Tampa Bay

1)Vancouver vs 8)Chicago
    2)San Jose vs 7)Los Angeles
    3)Detroit vs 6)Phoenix
    4)Anaheim vs 5)Nashville

East Predictions First Round
    Washington over the rangers 4- 3
    I feel that Washington will get past the first round but will fall short in the second round.

Phili Over Buffalo 4- 1
    Should be an easy win for Phili as long as no injuries come up.

Montreal over Boston 4- 3
    I see this being the most physical series in the first round with Montreal out hustling Boston to make it to the second round.

Tampa over Pittsburgh 4- 1
    I just don't like Pittsburgh but I gotta give them credit for doing as well as they have.

West Predictions First Round.
    Vancouver over Chicago 4 - 2
    Should be an interesting series as this is the third year they meet up. I am hoping they get past the hump with no byfuglien there.

L.a Kings over San jose 4- 2
    I have a feeling L.a Will step up and knock off the San Jose sharks since they never do to well in the playoffs.

Phx over Detroit 4- 3
    I just think that it will come down to the goalies and IMO Bryzgalov wants it more.

Anaheim over Nashville 4 - 0
    Anaheim has way to much momentum to lose to nashville.

He shoots, he bricks. Mr. Grieves's Avatar

ECF
    Boston vs. Tampa Bay

WCF
    Detroit vs. Anaheim

Boston Bruins win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Of Seun
    Yea? Well I'm 12 years old and what is this -----> "NJ Devils Hockey"

The Devils used the "trap" to keep the other team in check and force turnovers. I'll describe it better by using Devils players:

The opposition is coming up the ice. You have Scott Stevens and Brian Rafalski at their own blue line. They're the last defense in case a rush happens. Patrik Elias and Petr Sykora are the wingers and they stay on the boards around center ice. Their job is to prevent the opposition's wingers from advancing. Jason Arnott is the lone Devil to be in their offensive zone. His job is to forecheck, which is effective considering he's 6'4" 230, fast on his feet, and is very strong.

The trap is least flashy style of hockey and not at all appealing to casual fans, but it's very effective. The Devils won 3 Cups by using the trap. They were an average offensive team most years, but were a top team in goals against. In 1995, they were 13th out of 26 in goals scored, but 5th in goals against. In 2000, they were 2nd of out 28 in goals scored and 7th out of 28 in goals against. In 2003, they were 14th out of 30 in goals scored and 1st in goals against. Teams also used the trap in the last 2-3 minutes of a game with a 1 goal lead.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    He's up in the air for the first round, which starts no later than Thursday. Even if he does play, Malkin is done for the year and Cooke is suspended for the first round.
    Why was Cooke suspended again?

Penguins lose first round for sure.