Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910
    Local High School Star

Default Re: SI Poll of NBA Players: Who do you want shooting with Game on the line?

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin
    Ray Ray
    FOR THE WIN GOT IT AT THE BUZZERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR lol

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: SI Poll of NBA Players: Who do you want shooting with Game on the line?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypox
    It's only priceless because you still hold the stat as the truth of the question. Again, the question wasn't who scored the most go ahead buckets in the final 24 seconds, it's who would you want to take the shot. You think it's whoever has the highest % of shots made in the final 24 seconds of a game. Players disagree. Again, if I'm not mistaken your game winner stat counts even in loses. And even if not they're still just context-less stats. It doesn't tell the story of the game or what those baskets meant. It doesn't give you pause for even a second that ZERO players even thought to put Melo on their lists?

So you have actually seen video of every single shot Kobe/Melo/Dirk took in the final 24 seconds of games? Or maybe you just remember the horrible misses because they reenforce a pre-existing bias that the players don't have. Players actually watch game tape as part of their job, and I'm not just talking about blurry gifs or youtube vids. It's laughable that you think you've seen more than the players have

It's not at all as simple as free throws. Really think about it, think about what the question asks and what you've assumed to be the facts.
    I really don't follow this line of thinking at all.

You are basically saying that because other players would want certain players shooting the last shot it makes it right.

Sorry. This is simply poor logic and flat out wrong. There is absolutely no way in hell Durant can be considered a better game winning shot maker than Melo. No way in hell.

So what does that tell you about the perception based opinions of players? You want us to take what they say as fact because you agree with it?

I have no problem with someone saying they want Kobe taking the last shot. That is their right to say that and their opinion.

However, if you are going to use that as evidence that Kobe or Durant are better than Carmelo and Dirk in these situations....its hugely flawed.

A poll done before the season....GM's voted Billups 2nd. Billups is actually the worst game winning shot maker of the last 5 years in the entire league. He's made 3 of his last 27 attempts. LOL

Its more than just simple stats as well. When ESPN tracked this, all they did is go through each game played and saw what happened. Every make and miss listed happened. It was a basketball play. Video evidence exists. So I don't know how you can just dismiss 15 years of data on the subject in favor of a perception based opinion.

Furthermore, they have tracked team performance. Not only does Kobe perform worse individually, but his teams are not near the top either. Dirk's teams win the most close games of this era actually. The Mavs have by far the best record in tight games since the 05 season.

Also, in game winning situations, Kobe's teams are actually outscored with him on the floor. The Lakers offensive efficiency goes from 1st overall....to 12th in game winning situations.

So lets get this straight:

1. Kobe shoots considerably worse on game winners than Melo and Dirk
    2. Kobe's teams do not win close games at a high rate. Not top 5.
    3. Kobe's teams have the 12th best offensive efficiency in game winning situations

So how is Kobe the best? It just doesn't make sense. Nobody.....and I mean nobody is claiming that Kobe isn't clutch. He very much is. He's a great clutch player and has made huge shots time and time again.

But trying to assert that the perception based opinions of players that are clearly misinformed trumps over 15 years of evidence is laughable.

And the flaw is apparent when Carmelo received not votes. He's by far the best game winning shot maker of the last 8 years. Its really not close. He's on pace to make the most ever and at by far the highest percentage of this era (post jordan). Only in a ****ing perception based fantasy land can a guy produce like that and get no votes for something. Makes absolutely no sense and calls into question the validity of using players' opinions on the subject at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk Hogan
    Where was white boy in the clutch today?
    Well. He actually made shots down the stretch.

And this thread was about making game winning shots. Not overall clutch play.

And on game winners, Dirk and his teams have performed better than Kobe and his teams.

Just a fact.

Dirk makes them at close to a 10% higher rate after this seasons, the Mavs have a higher offensive efficiency, and the Mavs win more close games.

So I'm still confused as to why we should rank Kobe over Dirk?

Better individually? Dirk
    Who wins more close game? Dirk
    Which players' team performs better offensively? Dirk

Come again?

Made that high school varsity squad

on game winners, kobe misses and makes a bunch..

kobe is not afraid to put his legacy on the line..

off the top of my head....

kobe, pierce, carmelo and maybe dirk and wade..

Regardless of stats or not, are some people here honestly trying to argue that THEY know better than 74% of the players in the NBA?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but writing chapters on why YOUR opinion should be more valued than those who ACTUALLY play the game is laughable.

ISH

Give me Ray Ray to make a tough shot when it counts anytime
    And LOL at all the votes for Kobrick Cryant - one of the least efficient last shot makers of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
    Regardless of stats or not, are some people here honestly trying to argue that THEY know better than 74% of the players in the NBA?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but writing chapters on why YOUR opinion should be more valued than those who ACTUALLY play the game is laughable.

ISH
    This is the problem right here. Its not my opinion. Its hard evidence. And clearly the evidence trumps the opinions of players.

Would anyone here take Durant over Melo on a game winner? Nope. Why? Because we've all seen the data. Would any player vote Durant over Melo given the data? Nope.

Its not opinion. That is your problem.

Sad sad day when the perception based opinions of anyone trumps 15 plus years of evidence.

Sigh......