Page 1 of 38 123411 ... LastLast
    Banned

Talking Pacquiao-Marquez III: It's On!

Marquez accepted Top Rank's offer. Couldn't have come at a better time, I need to get the awful taste of the Pac-Mosley friendly sparring match out of my mouth.

It's at a CW of 144, should've been 140 but either way, both guys will come in at 145-148 on fight night.

To celebrate, enjoy some highlights:

Pacquiao-Marquez I

Pacquiao-Marquez II

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Pacquiao-Marquez III: It's On!

I would much prefer this fight at 140, but at least it isn't at full-fledged 147 like I feared. I guess I can live with 144.

This will be Pacquaio's most difficult challenge since... well... the last time he faced Marquez. It is a stylistic nightmare for Pacquiao and JMM -- while maybe not at his absolute peak -- can still get in there and throw... Unlike Mosley, who is now incapable of pulling the trigger against virtually anyone.

Good fight.

If the Mayweather-Ortiz fight comes to fruition, we have a nice little tournament with two very appropriate fights. Then again, that is assuming this GBP/TR war ever ends, which it may not.

Anyway, looking forward to this one.

Now this is going to be an exciting bout. Glad it was made. Marquez is not going to put on the wheels or cover up the entire fight. If he loses it will be as a warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    similar to the mayweather/marquez weight i see, i think it was 143/144, marquez came in at 142, and mayweather 146 (paid penalty)

happy to see this fight happening
    The Mayweather/Marquez fight was at 143, I believe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    The Mayweather/Marquez fight was at 143, I believe.
    144 was the contracted weight, Marquez came in at 142, Floyd at 146. If Marquez wants to retain speed, he should come in at 140 and focus on putting on lean muscle as opposed to just water weight. He would give up 4 lbs to Pac on the scales (who just might come in lighter himself for speed purposes, maybe 142) but would only be at a 3 lb weight disadvantage in the ring (145 against Katsidis in his last fight, 148 for Manny in his).

Btw, here is the link to the news...

Marquez Accepts Offer At 144 Pounds

marquez will be willing to box pacquiao, and throw more than just single punch counters but as well as combination counters
    basically he'll be the anti mosley, thank god.

still scared of marquez getting caught by pacquiao, its almost inevitable he'll get knocked down once? feels like it to me, although marquez has great recovery. i feel pacquiao has gotten a fair bit stronger since their last bout, agree/disagree?
    Pacquiao has probably gotten stronger just as a result of all of that extra muscle mass that he has put on. I don't necessarily think he hits harder, though. The one major change between this Manny and the one that JMM last saw is the work that Pac has done with his right hand. He is a legitimate two-fist threat now as opposed to a heavily left-handed fighter who didn't have much power in his right.

He can hurt you with either hand these days. His footwork has also improved BUT he still leaves himself wide open to counters. The offensive success that JMM had in their first two bouts will be there in this third one... And I have little doubt that JMM will have great moments in this fight.

Banned

marquez will be willing to box pacquiao, and throw more than just single punch counters but as well as combination counters
    basically he'll be the anti mosley, thank god.

still scared of marquez getting caught by pacquiao, its almost inevitable he'll get knocked down once? feels like it to me, although marquez has great recovery. i feel pacquiao has gotten a fair bit stronger since their last bout, agree/disagree?
    Not only stronger but more skilled overall. In the first fight you could see all he really had was that 1-2, straight right then left combo. He was very crude but had too much power and speed for the lower weights so he got by on that. He was better in the second fight but still not as polished as he is now. I think he'll be too much for Marquez today, but JMM will go out on his shield one way or another. Plus he has (or had) the perfect style to counter the Pac tsunami, so we'll see how he approaches the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Man oh man...

Marquez is such a tough SOB. I never get tired of watching that. You see the incredible athleticism and punching power of Pacquiao, but even more impressive to me was the way that JMM somehow got through that storm and came back better than ever.

Incredible.

I think Manny stops him this time. 144 is too high for Marquez.

Manny didn't even have a decent right hand until the Diaz fight, that's when he really showed off his new right hook.
    Last edited by lefthook00; 05-10-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Man oh man...

Marquez is such a tough SOB. I never get tired of watching that. You see the incredible athleticism and punching power of Pacquiao, but even more impressive to me was the way that JMM somehow got through that storm and came back better than ever.

Incredible.
    Yeah, surviving that storm in the first round and coming back to turn it into a war was something special. Marquez's mental fortitude (as well as his chin and skill) can never be questioned.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

i'm bumping this, fight is 10 days away. been crazy with all the talk about marquez's new strength & conditioning coach being a former steroids provider

The whole team Pacquaio seemed completely unfazed by this, but the fact remains; Juan Manuel Marquez looks bigger than Pacquaio right now.
    http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-gl...h-and-then-you

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

also Alfredo Angulo vs James Kirkland should be an excellent fight this weekend, it will take away the bad taste left behind by the last 3 big fights this year

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Quick question...on 1:16 the bell rang...what was the referee doing? I thought he's supposed to jump in.

Pacquiao, Angulo, and Bradley are going to win their respective fights.