Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
    College star

Default Re: Kobe 0 FG's in the second half

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    Why didn't Kobe give maximum effort even if it would have resulted in a loss?
    Kobe tried to be a playmaker, which he isn't very good at IMO. On defense he simply isn't good enough any more to set the tone.
    It wrong to use shot attempts or offensive production as an indicator when him scoring more would not have solved any of the Lakers problems

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    I don't think he quit. The Lakers offense was basically irrelevant to the outcome of the game. They lost the game on defense. Yes, Kobe could and should have done more scoring, but even if he had scored 30, the Mavs would still have won by double-digits. On offense it came down to the Lakers not being able to make the Mavs pay for their double-teams on Kobe.

On a side-note, it seems weird that All-D first teamer Kobe could not stop Terry from hitting 9 threes
    Same EXACT excuse Kobe fans made during Kobe's epic disappearing act in Phoenix game 7 in 2006. Hysterical how they continually excuse this guy going out like a b*tch.

Guess what: Kobe was 1-10 FG for 4 points after the first quarter. Score was 27-23 after the first quarter, which is entirely a winnable game. He was INVISIBLE, as he has been in many huge playoff losses in elimination games. He could have stepped up and guarded Terry after it was clear he was on fire. He could have tried to penetrate and get Dallas in foul trouble. He could have tried to do, oh, ANYTHING. But he didn't. He went out like a b*tch, with his tail between his legs, because this is what history has shown us that Kobe Bryant does.

"Most competitive fire/greatest will to win ever" my ass. No other player in history gets more excuses made for their poor play than Kobe Bryant. Name one other legend who not only would have played this poorly and become INVISIBLE for 3/4 of an elimination game, but who would have a LONG HISTORY of doing so in said games.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Same EXACT excuse Kobe fans made during Kobe's epic disappearing act in Phoenix game 7 in 2006. Hysterical how they continually excuse this guy going out like a b*tch.

Guess what: Kobe was 1-10 FG for 4 points after the first quarter. Score was 27-23 after the first quarter, which is entirely a winnable game. He was INVISIBLE, as he has been in many huge playoff losses in elimination games. He could have stepped up and guarded Terry after it was clear he was on fire. He could have tried to penetrate and get Dallas in foul trouble. He could have tried to do, oh, ANYTHING. But he didn't. He went out like a b*tch, with his tail between his legs, because this is what history has shown us that Kobe Bryant does.
    Excuse? What part exactly? That they lost the game defense, not on offense? If you've seen the game you cannot come to another conclusion.
    As for him being invisible, this is far from the truth, at least until midway through the third quarter. No one on the Lakers was hitting shots,
    Gasol was being shut down by *irk Nowitzki of all people.
    Kobe was seeing hard double teams, the Mavs defense was collapsing on him on penetrations, but the Lakers didn't make the Mavs pay.
    He got to the paint basically at will just to meet at least 3 Mavs defenders and kicked the ball out, which is the right play.
    Kobe might not have been agressive enough as a star player, but he made the right plays basketball-wise.
    After Fisher missed back-to-back open shots, Artest was rejected by the rim, Terry and Peja hit some more threes, everyone in the arena, including Kobe Bryant, knew that the game was over. The whole Lakers team quit. Kobe is to blame for this as the leader, but them quitting was a result of inability on defense, offense, and the Mavs setting a 3point record.

What this game has shown without a doubt though that Kobe has no place on the AllD team. That's a discrace and slap to the face for every hard-working perimeter defender. I know is probably the best pick and roll big man to ever play the game, but the Lakers perimeter players were beaten time after time. If Kobe really had AllD-Team capacities, he should've stepped up. my guess though is that he really couldn't do more.

So what are we left at?
    1) Yes, the Lakers, including Kobe, probably quit midway through the 3rd quarter. Which is understandable seeing how the series and especially game 4 unfolded.
    2) Kobe was on fire early, Mavs reacted with hard double-teams, but the Lakers could not make them pay. This is to blame on Kobe's teammates.
    3) The Lakers perimeter and p/r defense was atrocios; this is partly on Kobe. He should at least have tried to set the tone.
    4) Kobe was by no means invisible until the game was well out of reach. Anything more would have been Kobe-ball, which would have helped absolutely no one other than Kobes stats.
    Last edited by Brunch@Five; 05-09-2011 at 07:53 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

"Most competitive fire/greatest will to win ever" my ass. No other player in history gets more excuses made for their poor play than Kobe Bryant. Name one other legend who not only would have played this poorly and become INVISIBLE for 3/4 of an elimination game, but who would have a LONG HISTORY of doing so in said games.
    This.

I'll keep saying it. He's a great front runner. But if the going gets tough...Kobe and his teams lay down.

LOL at the excuses.....a huge reason the game was a blowout was because Kobe had 0 impact on the game after the 1st qtr.

holly molly, you dudes are still going at it?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    [COLOR=Gray]LOL at the excuses.....a huge reason the game was a blowout was because Kobe had 0 impact on the game after the 1st qtr.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Teal]That's only because he was the only player stepping up offensively up to that point, that is if you truly believe the Lakers lost the game on the offensive end.

The Lakers allowed 95 points after the first quarter. Credit the Mavs shooters for many of those, but non-existent team D was the reason the Lakers were blown out.. Kobe's overall impact had little to do with that.
    [/COLOR]

Not airballing my layups anymore alfonsito123's Avatar

I don't know what happened to Kobe. He usually scores 30+ points in the playoffs but now he is just lame simple. just like any other player. in game 3 and 4 he just scored 17 points apiece. Correct me if I am wrong, did Kobe just lost his mojo?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    This.

I'll keep saying it. He's a great front runner. But if the going gets tough...Kobe and his teams lay down.

LOL at the excuses.....a huge reason the game was a blowout was because Kobe had 0 impact on the game after the 1st qtr.
    LOL OWNED
    LOL OWNED
    LOL OWNED
    LOL OWNED
    LOL OWNED

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by alfonsito123
    I don't know what happened to Kobe. He usually scores 30+ points in the playoffs but now he is just lame simple. just like any other player. in game 3 and 4 he just scored 17 points apiece. Correct me if I am wrong, did Kobe just lost his mojo?
    what is this bullshit? Kobe usually scores 30 + in the playoffs?

I guess 30 on 25 shots is great ...

An Icon Forever

Excuse? What part exactly? That they lost the game defense, not on offense? If you've seen the game you cannot come to another conclusion.
    As for him being invisible, this is far from the truth, at least until midway through the third quarter. No one on the Lakers was hitting shots,
    Gasol was being shut down by *irk Nowitzki of all people.
    Kobe was seeing hard double teams, the Mavs defense was collapsing on him on penetrations, but the Lakers didn't make the Mavs pay.
    He got to the paint basically at will just to meet at least 3 Mavs defenders and kicked the ball out, which is the right play.
    Kobe might not have been agressive enough as a star player, but he made the right plays basketball-wise.
    After Fisher missed back-to-back open shots, Artest was rejected by the rim, Terry and Peja hit some more threes, everyone in the arena, including Kobe Bryant, knew that the game was over. The whole Lakers team quit. Kobe is to blame for this as the leader, but them quitting was a result of inability on defense, offense, and the Mavs setting a 3point record.

What this game has shown without a doubt though that Kobe has no place on the AllD team. That's a discrace and slap to the face for every hard-working perimeter defender. I know is probably the best pick and roll big man to ever play the game, but the Lakers perimeter players were beaten time after time. If Kobe really had AllD-Team capacities, he should've stepped up. my guess though is that he really couldn't do more.

So what are we left at?
    1) Yes, the Lakers, including Kobe, probably quit midway through the 3rd quarter. Which is understandable seeing how the series and especially game 4 unfolded.
    2) Kobe was on fire early, Mavs reacted with hard double-teams, but the Lakers could not make them pay. This is to blame on Kobe's teammates.
    3) The Lakers perimeter and p/r defense was atrocios; this is partly on Kobe. He should at least have tried to set the tone.
    4) Kobe was by no means invisible until the game was well out of reach. Anything more would have been Kobe-ball, which would have helped absolutely no one other than Kobes stats.

What are your thoughts on the fact that Kobe has been on teams that have been blown out in closing games quite a bit?

2003 playoffs against the Spurs
    2006 playoffs against the Suns
    2008 playoffs against the Celtics
    2011 playoffs against the Mavs

Serious playground baller Askmeificare's Avatar

Banned

He is a quitter and we've seen it numerous times before (against PHO, BOS, etc.) and this is why Jordan > Kobe

Jordan will die first before he quits.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alfonsito123
    This is what happens when ppl get hurt, tired, and old. Tim Duncan is going through this now, Shaq is already there, KG, etc. and so are other greats. At some point, great players become mortals due to age.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1990
    did he quit on his team?
    He did not quit. It's not like he could take over a game yet he didn't care. He just is not good enough anymore.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

So what are we left at?

He quit. No competitive fire whatsoever. He's done it before. And they all seem eerily the same. 2006 Suns, 2008 Celtics, 2011 Mavs all look the same. Kobe comes out blazing, realizes the team won't lie down at the sight of his offensive explosion and then he QUITS. Three times is a pattern. A championship team as good as the Lakers don't lose by 36 points unless they QUIT.