I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease MontaHardaway's Avatar

Default Re: Barkley: I had gay teammates

Barkley's gay teammates:

Danny Ainge
    David Robinson(played on Dream Team)
    Scottie Pippen

NBA rookie of the year

Good for Chuck, sometimes he says crazy things, but sometimes he has a way of cutting through the BS and just telling things in a no-nonsense manner.

Great college starter Black Joker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    This is a bit off base. I think the rights of all people should be protected.. so if you're anti-gay, feel free to feel that way. But, it becomes discriminatory when they're not allowed the same rights as everyone else, i.e. marriage.

Just like, if you're racist, than okay, you're racist. But trying to make it a law that black people have to ride on the back of the bus, is discrimination.

Now, if a private business owner wants to make it so black people can't eat at their restaurant.. their right to do that should be protected. IMO.

It's all about not forcing your will on other people.
    i was with you till about here. not that i agreed fully, but i see your point about not legislating your will onto others, but i can't get behind that bolded point. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but you're against discriminatory practices upheld through law, but not against discrimination in practice?

(this of course is not to say that you go around discriminating, i don't know either way, just trying to get your point, although the discussion of that would veer off the threads intended path, and probably would be better suited for the OTC)

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Black Joker
    i was with you till about here. not that i agreed fully, but i see your point about not legislating your will onto others, but i can't get behind that bolded point. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but you're against discriminatory practices upheld through law, but not against discrimination in practice?

(this of course is not to say that you go around discriminating, i don't know either way, just trying to get your point, although the discussion of that would veer off the threads intended path, and probably would be better suited for the OTC)
    I think joe is making a similar point to what Ron/Rand Paul made about the civil rights movmement. he's against discriminative legislation by the government, a public instiution, but the right of private individuals to run their business supercedes the prevention of discrimination.

private individuals should have right to manage their private property as they desire basically.

I don't agree but that's the argument

Not airballing my layups anymore Noble6-AC45's Avatar

i will never support same sex marriage but anyone can do what they want with their life

High School Starter mentallooser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    I think joe is making a similar point to what Ron/Rand Paul made about the civil rights movmement. he's against discriminative legislation by the government, a public instiution, but the right of private individuals to run their business supercedes the prevention of discrimination.

private individuals should have right to manage their private property as they desire basically.

I don't agree but that's the argument
    I agree with the argument in principle. The consequences of it are too cringeworthy though. I agree that thing shouldn't be forced on business owners. But there are a lot of screwed up people who run business establishments that make it necessary.

Memphis has atleast one obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by mentallooser
    I agree with the argument in principle. The consequences of it are too cringeworthy though. I agree that thing shouldn't be forced on business owners. But there are a lot of screwed up people who run business establishments that make it necessary.
    The idea that someone exclude a person from being allowed in their establishment based on something arbitrary like the color of their skin is mind blowingly dumb and insulting. Sure people should be allowed to run their business how they want, but not at the cost of debasing another person, that's just basic human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth
    Memphis has atleast one obviously.
    Who?

Sir Charles is right... what is more important??? sexual preference and basketball ability?
    I like him being honest, always.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Who?
    I assumed he was talking about this guy:

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    This is a bit off base. I think the rights of all people should be protected.. so if you're anti-gay, feel free to feel that way. But, it becomes discriminatory when they're not allowed the same rights as everyone else, i.e. marriage.

Just like, if you're racist, than okay, you're racist. But trying to make it a law that black people have to ride on the back of the bus, is discrimination.

Now, if a private business owner wants to make it so black people can't eat at their restaurant.. their right to do that should be protected. IMO.

It's all about not forcing your will on other people.
    I whole heartedly disagree. What if the NBA decided to ban black people from joining the league? Or attending their games?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I think Chuck finally became a role model.

Blue Alliance OKC Capt PBJ_Time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    The idea that someone exclude a person from being allowed in their establishment based on something arbitrary like the color of their skin is mind blowingly dumb and insulting. Sure people should be allowed to run their business how they want, but not at the cost of debasing another person, that's just basic human rights.
    But it's not, really. If it's a private business, the owner should be allowed to run it as he/she pleases, no matter how stupid it may be. I can't think of too many worse business decisions, however, than not allowing a certain race into your establishment.

One shouldn't be forced to allow everyone into their establishment. That's infringing on their rights. It's a private business...not government affiliated.

Blue Alliance OKC Capt PBJ_Time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I whole heartedly disagree. What if the NBA decided to ban black people from joining the league? Or attending their games?
    Then that would probably be THE dumbest business decision ever known to man and the NBA would likely cease to exist. I think societal pressure is more than adequate.