Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blu Ray

Default Re: This hip hop generation and tattoos

Quote Originally Posted by Crown&Coke

you totally set that up, right?
    Yeah.

Thank goodness I never fell for the tattoo craze.

I'm actually considering do one, but not something very fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    I'm actually considering do one, but not something very fancy.
    U gonna get addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    U gonna get addicted.
    Yup my grandma went her whole life without getting one, then we went as a big group when the family went on vacation and everyone got something....now she's got 9 more since 2007 lol

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Yup my grandma went her whole life without getting one, then we went as a big group when the family went on vacation and everyone got something....now she's got 9 more since 2007 lol
    WHAT!

Granny a thug.

U gonna get addicted.
    that's not cool. i just want something simple like number 12 or something else relative to my basketball experience.

College superstar

U gonna get addicted.
    Not sure why people say this. I had my tattoo done when I was 21 years old. Coming up 24 and I don't have any desire to get more. I'm content with what I have. If you have an addictive personality then I guess you might.

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    Not just Hip Hop but basketball players too

New Monta Ellis tattoo

it looks like someone photoshopped a baby's head onto that tree

NBA Superstar

From a personal standpoint, I have virtually no chance of getting a tattoo at any point of my life. Essentially, I don't trust my own judgment. A handful of players I used to coach all got tattoos their senior year of high school or shortly thereafter. That got me thinking, if the 2002 (senior year) version of me had gotten inked up, it'd almost indisputably be something ridiculous that I'd be regretting this very moment. I was an idiot. It'd have been an ode to Deltron 3030 or my jersey number or something. So, knowing who I am and how often my mindset changes over time, I can't really think of any type of design or theme I'd be able to comfortably commit to for my entire life.

I do recall a former player in our program who had his late father tattooed on his shoulder, I respected that. One of that nature seems as if it'd last forever. But even then, I don't think that'd be me.

Switching things up a little bit, why do you guys believe our culture still seems to frown upon any sort of tattoos? I have a friend who was recently hired as a nurse and had to find a way to cover up a star tattoo on the top of her hand. Just a star. A big part of me says, "Hospitals are the real deal, they can take any steps they feel necessary to promote a feeling of professionalism throughout the complex." But clearly, hospitals aren't the only places with this rule. I feel as though tattoos are becoming more and more mainstream so is it your feeling they will only become more and more accepted in work environments and elsewhere over time?

Lastly, strange to hear Dennis Rodman brought up. I didn't even notice how accustomed we'd all grown to seeing super tatted players in the NBA. You're totally right, his abundance of tattoos made Rodman "edgy" and possibly crazy (of course, other characteristics played a role in that crazy claim, but the tats were a part of the deal). Back then, if you brought up Dennis Rodman to a random person, they'd say "Oh, that basketball player with all the tattoos." Now, if you say, "Hey, you know that basketball player with all those tattoos?" you could be referring to nearly everyone. I didn't even notice it'd grown at such a rapid rate.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-25-2011 at 09:53 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I have a shamrock on my shoulder, which I now regret, mostly because it's in color, and as I've gotten older, I'd like to have that spot to do a cap in black and grey. I do intend to get my other shoulder capped soon. I also have a pretty big back piece.

I'm not really a fan of places of employment asking that they be covered, particularly in a place like a hospital, where really, qualification should trump all else. It actually makes more sense to me in a perception type business, like sales or something.

It is odd how mainstream the visable tattoo has become. When I was a kid, if you saw someone with a sleeve or something in a grocery store, you'd stare at him, now it seems like there's maybe 1/10 guys with a sleeve and I don't even usually notice what it is.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Rodman's at least look clean and you can make out what they are. They're actually organized. These other guys just get whatever, wherever

yeah, you know you got some ugly ass body art when rodman has you beat for clean lines and aesthetic display.

About the only large tattoos I like are various traditional ones, like this samoan style.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    From a personal standpoint, I have virtually no chance of getting a tattoo at any point of my life. Essentially, I don't trust my own judgment. A handful of players I used to coach all got tattoos their senior year of high school or shortly thereafter. That got me thinking, if the 2002 (senior year) version of me had gotten inked up, it'd almost indisputably be something ridiculous that I'd be regretting this very moment. I was an idiot. It'd have been an ode to Deltron 3030 or my jersey number or something. So, knowing who I am and how often my mindset changes over time, I can't really think of any type of design or theme I'd be able to comfortably commit to for my entire life.

I do recall a former player in our program who had his late father tattooed on his shoulder, I respected that. One of that nature seems as if it'd last forever. But even then, I don't think that'd be me.

Switching things up a little bit, why do you guys believe our culture still seems to frown upon any sort of tattoos? I have a friend who was recently hired as a nurse and had to find a way to cover up a star tattoo on the top of her hand. Just a star. A big part of me says, "Hospitals are the real deal, they can take any steps they feel necessary to promote a feeling of professionalism throughout the complex." But clearly, hospitals aren't the only places with this rule. I feel as though tattoos are becoming more and more mainstream so is it your feeling they will only become more and more accepted in work environments and elsewhere over time?

Lastly, strange to hear Dennis Rodman brought up. I didn't even notice how accustomed we'd all grown to seeing super tatted players in the NBA. You're totally right, his abundance of tattoos made Rodman "edgy" and possibly crazy (of course, other characteristics played a role in that crazy claim, but the tats were a part of the deal). Back then, if you brought up Dennis Rodman to a random person, they'd say "Oh, that basketball player with all the tattoos." Now, if you say, "Hey, you know that basketball player with all those tattoos?" you could be referring to nearly everyone. I didn't even notice it'd grown at such a rapid rate.
    well, part of it is about blood hygiene. If you have a tat, you cant donate blood most of the time. Not sure why they care about a nurses hand, but I guess you could see some roundabout ...., nah, not sure. its just not "professional".

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    well, part of it is about blood hygiene. If you have a tat, you cant donate blood most of the time. Not sure why they care about a nurses hand, but I guess you could see some roundabout ...., nah, not sure. its just not "professional".

I donate blood every year and have never been turned down because of my tattoos. And I'm on the national marrow doner list too, which I also did after my first two were done.