Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: What is/was your college major?

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Finance and Management

What a waste of money.
    What you mean?

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    What you mean?
    Two reasons, one I never plan on working in Finance. Two, literally every Finance job I've seen trains you prior to you actually doing anything, because they know the Finance you learn in school is useless. You memorize formulas that...you don't need to memorize. You use computer programs to do all that shit. Management is just incredibly subjective and impossible to teach in a classroom.

Only cool class was about mergers and acquisitions and basically all it was, was a real life forum to discuss takeovers. We didn't read a single chapter. Tests were about prices and #s of shares, which is useless information now. No one cares how much Apple bought Beats for. Not gonna get you a job.

Get a STEM degree, or don't get a degree unless you want to teach your subject.

EDIT: ESPECIALLY if you need to take out loans. I'm fortunate in that regard.

Two reasons, one I never plan on working in Finance. Two, literally every Finance job I've seen trains you prior to you actually doing anything, because they know the Finance you learn in school is useless. You memorize formulas that...you don't need to memorize. You use computer programs to do all that shit. Management is just incredibly subjective and impossible to teach in a classroom.

Only cool class was about mergers and acquisitions and basically all it was, was a real life forum to discuss takeovers. We didn't read a single chapter. Tests were about prices and #s of shares, which is useless information now. No one cares how much Apple bought Beats for. Not gonna get you a job.

Ah yeah, you're right. I've stated this before with the accounting course I've taken last year or so. You don't do any of that in the field. I got discouraged by it and just said fck it, because I wasn't going to a private college.

Banned

Dual degree: Software Engineering and Physics

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Ah yeah, you're right. I've stated this before with the accounting course I've taken last year or so. You don't do any of that in the field. I got discouraged by it and just said fck it, because I wasn't going to a private college.
    Not necessarily Accounting. Alot of the material and theory you learn in Accounting comes in handy and I guess it depends what you actually work in. Entry level staff accountants or bookkeepers(not really accountants) usually just do excel shit that anyone can do(like the other guy said) but auditors, tax accountants, and higher level accountants definitely need knowledge of accounting and the theory behind. Ex- How everything relates to the F/S, what's the purpose of this account, what's the benefit of deferring, is this in line with GAAP, what does FASB say about this rule, etc.

But yeah many of the entry level positions you don't need much knowledge. Finance can be different and I can assume much of the entry level is just data entry, excel, creating budgets and basic shit that really isn't stimulating. You just got to be excel savy. If you're a wizard with excel chances are you'll be great at your job.

And I always find it funny how you have to memorize all those formulas for tests. It's not like at your job if you forgot the quick ratio you just hope for the best..

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

EDIT: ESPECIALLY if you need to take out loans. I'm fortunate in that regard.

My advice is as long as long you go to some state school and commute locally go study the **** you want as you won't be in debt. Hell, you can even get a masters in something like Accounting and sit in for the CPA despite having a philosophy undergraduate degree..

PS, what field you working in now?

Sunshine State

English Language Arts Education.

Someone else here was doing Social Work (lives in Canada) I forgot his username

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    My advice is as long as long you go to some state school and commute locally go study the **** you want as you won't be in debt. Hell, you can even get a masters in something like Accounting and sit in for the CPA despite having a philosophy undergraduate degree..

PS, what field you working in now?
    Everyone I know who did accounting (~20 people) said the degree is useless without a CPA. I would agree with the first point, I wish more people did the 2 year community college and transfer route. So much cheaper, and better for your development because you meet many more kinds of people.

I grow weed in CO now

True degenerate.

Although I do kinda use my degree I guess only cause so many people in this industry are ****ing retards with basic budgeting and accounting, which is a problem when you make the kinda money they do.

You're right. My best friend got her Masters in accounting and got a job at a prestigious firm after. Went to a private college for her bachelors though. Now she's auditing firms and shit. She's smart ASF but failed her CPA exam, going to retake it. They make bread though

You're right. My best friend got her Masters in accounting and got a job at a prestigious firm after. Went to a private college for her bachelors though. Now she's auditing firms and shit. She's smart ASF but failed her CPA exam, going to retake it. They make bread though
    Only thing I regret about not doing my 1-3 years at an investment bank with my friend. Dude makes so much god damn money.

Quote Originally Posted by ballup
    Wow. I posted in this thread while I was still in college.

Now that I've finished, the most exhausting courses would be fluid dynamics and this geotechnical graduate course
    I used to get high and have my two engineering friends talk to me about this (and a few other classes). Fascinating stuff.

Realized I was taking Sociology at this time of the post. Got an A- browsing all day on my phone posting here , got a B+ in my criminal justice class, left the major, got my AA degree in Social Sciences and Humanities (BS ass degree) and now it's a long way doing something I would of believed 5 years ago.

Computer Science which I should finish this semester.

Bachelor of Arts in Sociology.