Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default Re: What is/was your college major?

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Everyone I know who did accounting (~20 people) said the degree is useless without a CPA. I would agree with the first point, I wish more people did the 2 year community college and transfer route. So much cheaper, and better for your development because you meet many more kinds of people.

I grow weed in CO now

True degenerate.

Although I do kinda use my degree I guess only cause so many people in this industry are ****ing retards with basic budgeting and accounting, which is a problem when you make the kinda money they do.
    For some reason that's the thought that everyone has but it's not all that true. If you want to work for an actual CPA firm then yea it's needed but if you want to do corporate accounting it's not needed. Even without a CPA degree you still are looking at good prospects and decent pay. You're career mobility is limited without it but I guess it's the same with other fields without all those damn licenses. For some odd reason all the accountants want to work at the "Big 4"(the most prestigious cpa firms) and spend 60 hours a week in a cubicle. No thanks jeff.

And good for you on the weed part I'm actually curious do you sell it legally and have one of your own weed shops?

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    For some reason that's the thought that everyone has but it's not all that true. If you want to work for an actual CPA firm then yea it's needed but if you want to do corporate accounting it's not needed. Even without a CPA degree you still are looking at good prospects and decent pay. You're career mobility is limited without it but I guess it's the same with other fields without all those damn licenses. For some odd reason all the accountants want to work at the "Big 4"(the most prestigious cpa firms) and spend 60 hours a week in a cubicle. No thanks jeff.

And good for you on the weed part I'm actually curious do you sell it legally and have one of your own weed shops?
    The big 4 recruit super heavily out of Syracuse so I most likely have a very skewed experience. JP Morgan/Chase is the other big Finance/Accounting draw. You're definitely right about licenses, it's kinda odd to me. You could just eliminate the degree requirement and require Series 7 and shit for Finance.

It's all legal, I work for a company that has two warehouses (~15,000 plants) and two dispensaries but we also wholesale to other dispensaries without their own grow operation. I'm just starting out and learning everything, my goal is to eventually have my own store/grow op. Stay small though, I only work in one warehouse (9,000 plants) and it's a ****ing bitch to coordinate everything. I'd much prefer a small scale thing for myself, but this is a great learning experience for sure.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

You should be a cop, OP.

All of you should be cops.

I can't be one because I have a record.

Being a cop would rule. Entertainment, authority, women, perks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    You should be a cop, OP.

My best friends going to be a cop. I wouldn't be a cop. A lot of people think being a cop is for everyone until they're 30 with a wife and kid. Then they live every day in fear.

Boozer and Lebron Fam CarlosBoozer's Avatar

BSBA Human Resource Management

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    You should be a cop, OP.

Nah, the real reason you can't be a cop is because you wouldn't reach your gun in your hip holster.

NBA lottery pick

Media Production. The classes are so fun and easy that whenever i have to take a regular requirement like Math, History, or Writing it's actually kind of difficult to do well in those classes for me. I never remember to read the textbook or study for test.

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    My best friends going to be a cop. I wouldn't be a cop. A lot of people think being a cop is for everyone until they're 30 with a wife and kid. Then they live every day in fear.
    I was going to be a cop until I realized I don't like cops.

Political Science. I got an interview with the Palestinian Embassy in DC yesterday, don't think I did well at all

Quote Originally Posted by Joshumitsu

You can guess I also get a lot of flack from the general science students who criticize English lit. as being too ambiguous and subjective for their tastes. At least science is set in stone, they say. And I tell them that's one of the most arrogant things they can say as a scientist. They're the farthest thing from a scientist. A true scientist is one who challenges the status quo. He strives to make the impossible possible.

But those people will amount to nothing. Why? Because they don't think like an artist. And great artists (whether in sports, business, art, literature, finance) always change their game, experiment with new genres, styles, forms, and challenge themselves. Pretentious or not, they're more true and real than all these mechanical people who repeat the same things everyday without meaning or purpose.
    Oh, word bro? What do you do and how much do you make now 5 years later with your prestigious and artistic degree in English Literature?

I'm finishing up my Associates this semester and will be transferring to a new uni to pursue a degree in Information Systems Management. It's like a beta version of Computer Science, but once done you guys will be basically doing the same job and getting the same pay. I have a friend who finished 2 years back and his first job payed him 65k. After a year, that bumped up to 80k, and this is here in the Tampa bay area mind you, relatively small technical hub compared to placed like Silicon Valley, Austin, New York, etc.

After I finish the bachelors at USF, I'll inshallah find a job and transfer to FSU and start taking courses to get a Masters in the field. I was against a masters degree before only because I want money asap, but the degree they offer at FSU suits me well because it is fully online, only 2 courses per semester, and it should be completed within 2 years. And Masters is always better than Bachelors, especially in this day and age where everyone and they momma earned a bachelors in something.

Just please, if you're a HS student reading this, don't waste your time studying something meaningless like English Lit. If it interests you that much, read on your spare time, whatever. But there is no future with that degree in terms of being employable.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Everyone I know who did accounting (~20 people) said the degree is useless without a CPA. I would agree with the first point, I wish more people did the 2 year community college and transfer route. So much cheaper, and better for your development because you meet many more kinds of people.

I've always been left dumbfounded when i hear someone goes to school out of state while their parents have regular jobs, not high paying. All those movies people watch have brainwashed them into thinking the only way to do college is to live in the dorm, party like crazy, and when your done you will be paying off your degree for the next 10-15 years. Don't get me wrong, I would like to experience dorm life (probably wont, sadly...but oh well) but I'd much rather finish college debt free and live comfy af than to go out of state, pay 3x the amount, and be left with 100k in debt before ever even getting started.

If you're an athlete/have some kind of scholarship that ensures you won't be in debt when you finish, by all means then, that would be amazing. But if you or your parents will be left in debt just to get you through school, wtf is the point? Why start your journey in life handicapped?

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    I've always been left dumbfounded when i hear someone goes to school out of state while their parents have regular jobs, not high paying. All those movies people watch have brainwashed them into thinking the only way to do college is to live in the dorm, party like crazy, and when your done you will be paying off your degree for the next 10-15 years. Don't get me wrong, I would like to experience dorm life (probably wont, sadly...but oh well) but I'd much rather finish college debt free and live comfy af than to go out of state, pay 3x the amount, and be left with 100k in debt before ever even getting started.

If you're an athlete/have some kind of scholarship that ensures you won't be in debt when you finish, by all means then, that would be amazing. But if you or your parents will be left in debt just to get you through school, wtf is the point? Why start your journey in life handicapped?
    It's because they weren't taught or experienced the value of money. It's a lot easier to be careless with spending when it's not your money or you can expect to be bailed out. Common theme in life and some people have to learn the hard way.