Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: Who really is top 10 of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    Original thread.....
    ^^^

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Actually I think the Warriors have an edge at five of the six spots. Only Meschery is inferior to his comparison.

And I love the idea of adding KC Jones' numbers to Cousy or Sam. Could the Celtics play six at a time?

You post the numbers like they man anything. If Russell and Wilt switched teams, do you think those numbers all stay the same? Do the Warriors average just 70 points a game to the Celtics 140?

And let me remind you again Tom Sanders is NOT in the HOF as a player.
    I get accused of being a Wilt homer, yet you post this NONSENSE. Take a look at the careers of everyone of those players. The Celtics had 20 ppg scorers all over the floor. Heinsohn, Cousy, Sam Jones...ALL MULTIPLE 20 ppg scorers (as were Sharman and Havicek), and Jones was putting up HUGE games in the playoffs, too THAT season. The ONLY 20 ppg scorer, in their CAREERS, whether with Wilt or not, that Wilt had, was Arizin, at the end of his career.

As for adding KC Jones numbers to either Cousy or Sam Jones...OF COURSE you do. Those guys didn't play 48 mpg. Hell Cousy, was MUCH more of a factor than Rodgers, in LESS minutes. He was barely playing HALF the damn game.

And give me a break...Meschery, Attles, Rodgers, GOLA, better than Cousy, Heinsohn, Sam Jones, Ramsey??? You are delusional my friend. Those Warrior scrubs, including the WORST post-season HOFer of all-time, GOLA and their lousy careers don't hold a candle those Celtic players. AND even MESCHERY would agree with me. After the '62 ECF's, he stated that it was because of WILT that the Warriors made it to that game seven. He said that PLAYER-FOR-PLAYER, Boston had better players. And it is INARGUABLE. Please ...you are better than that.

YEAR-AFTER-YEAR, in Wilt's first six seasons, Russell had a HUGE edge in QUALITY players, and MUCH DEEPER rosters.

As for the Celtics WITH Wilt...

Evidently you didn't read my post earlier in this thread...

G.O.A.T, think about this...

Since we KNOW that Chamberlain pretty much did whatever his COACHES asked of him, let's assume that Auerbach has Wilt take CONSIDERABLY less shots. For example, Russell took around 16 FGAs in the early 60's, while Wilt was taking around 35.

Two important points, Wilt was already a MUCH more efficient shooter than Russell was, DESPITE being the focal point of EVERY defense he played against. Can you imagine how much MORE EFFICIENT a Chamberlain would have been when taking far less attempts (as in '67 when he shot an eye-popping .683 in a league that shot .441)?

So, not only would Wilt be naturally more efficient, by taking less forced shots (because he WAS the offense)...BUT, given quality SCORERS such as Heinsohn and Sam Jones as well as either Sharman or Havlicek, he would be even MORE efficient since opposing defenses couldn't just game-plan against him. You have to remember that the ONLY scoring option Wilt really had in the first half of the decade was Paul Arizin, who was nearing the end of his career, and who only played with Wilt for three years (from '60 thru '62.) After that, Wilt had ZERO scorers from '63 thru '64. Players like Gola and Meschery had their career HIGHs with Wilt, but neither were more than 16 ppg at ANY point in their careers. Meanwhile, Russell had players like Cousy, Heinsohn, Sharman, Sam Jones, and John Havlicek...ALL with multiple 20+ ppg scoring seasons (my god, Havlicek averaged 29 and 28 ppg AFTER Russell, and Sam Jones had a season as high as 26 ppg with Russell.)

That brings me to this point. Wilt, with Auerbach, probably would have averaged about 20 FGAs per game, instead of the 16 that Russell took...which is still a DRAMATIC reduction from 35 per game. Now, given the fact that Russell made about 7 FGs per game, on his 16 attempts, and that we can safely assume that Wilt would have shot better than the .506 to .540 he shot in the first half of the decade, I would CONSERVATIVELY estimate that Wilt would have made about 55% of his shots, with 20 FGAs per game..which would mean that he would have made about 11 per game.

Think about that, Wilt would only be taking four more shots per game, than Russell, and yet would also be making FOUR more shots per game...or shooting 100% on them...or EIGHT more points per game. Now, granted, the rest of Boston's roster would lose four shots per game under that scenario, but given the fact that those players shot around 43%, the Celtics would lose than four points a game on those four shots.

Ultimately, a Chamberlain would have made Boston about 4-5 pts better on the SAME number of shots. And that is before Wilt's FT shooting, which also would have been a couple more points a game...probably just on more "bonus shots" that he would have created. (BTW, Wilt and Russell were nearly identical at the line in terms of efficiency early in their careers.) All of which makes me believe that the Celtics would have scored 6-7 more points per game, on the exact same number of shots.

The real question would then become...just how much better defensively was Russell than Wilt? I for one, believe that he was marginally better, even then, and was probably no better by the mid-60's. And since Wilt would not have had to waste so much energy on the offensive end in this scenario, and could devote more attention to his defense, I don't think the Celtics defense would decline much at all. Here again, though, even if Russell's defense was worth seven points more than Chamberlain's, which is hard to believe...that would still mean that Boston would have been, at worst, just as great with Wilt, as with Russell. IMHO, they would have been better.

Then, you are now taking a Russell, who was usually no more than a 3rd or 4th best scoring option on those Celtic teams, and certainly not as feared as Wilt ever was...what would he do on those Warrior teams? Once again, we know that the Warriors had limited scorers on those teams. And on more time, none of them, other than Arizin ever scored much more after Wilt (although Rodgers did raise his offense a little in Chicago, but on just HORRIBLE FG%'s.) So, Russell, who was probably slightly better than an average shooter, at best, in those early 60's leagues, would have had to shoot more, and probably at an even lower efficiency...especially if he were anything close to a number one scoring option.

In variably, he would have probably given his teammates a few more shots per game, than Wilt, but he would have had to take more than what he had in Boston, as well. And given the fact that Wilt's teammates shot about 100% worse than he did, on average...I just don't see Russell raising the Warriors offense at all. In fact, I think they would decline significantly. Furthermore, does Russell make players like Rodgers, Meschery, and Arizin better defenders? I don't think so.

It is certainly interesting speculation, but the bottom line...put Wilt with MUCH better teammates, and give Russell MUCH worse one's (and less contributing players overall), and I think Wilt EASILY goes 6-0 in his first six seasons in the league.
    Last edited by jlauber; 05-31-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I get accused of being a Wilt homer
    Because you are. You have to admit it sucks that a lot of people ignore your valid opinions because of your reputation.

yet you post this NONSENSE.
    I don't think it's nonsense. Let me explain and maybe, even if you don't fully agree, you'll see my point. First, I misspoke. I meant 4 of 5, or 4 of 6 if you include the extended bench. But in regards to the individual comparisons you drew.

Meschery 12.1 ppg, 9..1 rpg, 1.8 apg, .404
    Heinsohn 22.1 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.1 apg, .429
    Meschery was a rookie, Heinsohn was at his best. I'd take Tommy-gun any day here. However, in their series, head-to-head, with Gola ineffective on offense do to an injury to his shooting wrist, Meschery stepped up. He averaged 20 and 12, superior to Heinsohn despite being a much less featured player in their offense. Still, edge Boston here.

Gola 13.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 4.9 apg, .421
    Sanders 11.2 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 0.9 apg, .435
    You love to dog Gola as one of the worst Hall of Famers of all-time, you only cite his worst shooting postseason (when he played with a badly injured shooting hand) and never mention that this is a guy who averaged 10 rebounds and 5 assists per game while being the best defensive player at the two and three position in the league. (meaning he guarded the oppositions scoring guard or forward (excluding Pettit who he could not handle by his own admission). Gola was defensively what Sanders would become and was a better offensive player than Sanders ever could be, especially as a rookie. A big edge to Philly here.

Rodgers 8.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 8.0 apg, .356
    Cousy 15.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 7.8 apg, .391
    As you know, the strategy that season was to get the ball to Wilt at all times. That killed Rodgers game. He loved to attack the basket in the open court, McGuire preferred an Arizin jump shot or a set play to Wilt. Either way, this is the season I think Rodgers becomes better than Cousy. Having watched parts of eight head-to-head games from this season, my notes almost exclusively have Rodgers getting the better of Cousy. He had already passed him in the assist standings and scored just as (in)efficiently while providing borderline all-league defense according to reputation compared to Cousy who was disinterested at best, though good for a few steals a game I'd guess. Either way, slight edge to the Warriors here. Cousy in his last to years was pretty ugly.

Attles 11.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.4 apg, .474
    Ramsey 15.3 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, .429
    Again, a case of the one player on the rise, and another falling with age. Ramsey wore down over the season and was a disaster on both ends in the playoffs. He was benched in favor of Satch and K.C. Attles gave you more efficient scoring, equal rebounding from the 1/2 compared to Ramsey a 2/3 and provides play making and ball handling, which Ramsey lacks.

Arizin 21.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 2.6 apg, .410
    Sam Jones 18.4 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 3.0 apg, .464
    This one is really close, but this is Sam's first playoffs as a starter and Arizin is still a 20 per game guy and an all-star, he only retires the next year because the franchise moves. Again, a slight edge to the Warriors. But going into the next season, I'd take Jones over him, it was that close by the playoffs.

Take a look at the careers of everyone of those players. The Celtics had 20 ppg scorers all over the floor. The ONLY 20 ppg scorer, in their CAREERS, whether with Wilt or not, that Wilt had, was Arizin, at the end of his career.
    Rodgers averaged 18 or 19 while leading the league in assists.

Arizin was a scoring champ, Russell never played with one of those.

Meschery could have been Wilt's Heinsohn, he averaged 19 and 9 in his two playoff runs with Wilt (over 20+ games)

Evidently you didn't read my post earlier in this thread...
    Had Wilt done all that, maybe. However, Red didn't invent Russell's role, Russell did. Red told him "I don't understand what you do, but I know it works."

Who is to say Red ever figures out how best to use Wilt? The advantage of Russell is that he is already committed to winning above all else.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    In the last year I've realized that any top ten list without George Mikan is incomplete.

I used to think that was an era that you could hold against players, but then I realized how dumb that concept was.

Someone asked me the questions...what more could he have done? What more should he have done?

I see five pages of lists and the fact that no one mentions Mikan only further convinces me how important it is to have him included.

As obvious as it easy that basketball has evolved, holding that factor against Mikan is about the stupidest thing you can do. Not only did it have no baring on his or any one else's career at the time, it ignores a vital and critical part of the history of the game.
    Same here. Glad to see there's at least one other person here that respects Mikan. I've also become of the opinion that there really is no clear cut greatest player of all time. To me it's a matter of personal preference with players like Jordan, Kareem, Russell, Wilt all having legit arguments.

My top 10, in random order:

Bill Russell
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Michael Jordan
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    George Mikan
    Larry Bird
    Magic Johnson
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Tim Duncan
    Hakeem Olajuwon

LMFAO at any list with Kobe in the top 5.

3-time NBA All-Star

Rodgers averaged 18 or 19 while leading the league in assists.

Arizin was a scoring champ, Russell never played with one of those.

Meschery could have been Wilt's Heinsohn, he averaged 19 and 9 in his two playoff runs with Wilt (over 20+ games)

Using your Meschery argument, how about this...

Cousy had post-season scoring averages as high as 26.3 ppg and 20.2 ppg with Russell. He had regular season scoring averages as high 21.7 ppg, and 20.6 ppg with Russell (and TEN seasons of 18 ppg or more.)

Ramsey had post-season scoring as high as 23.2 ppg WITH Russell.

Heinsohn had post-season scoring as high as 24.7 ppg with Russell, and THREE more of 20.7+. He had THREE regular season marks of 21.3 + with a high of 22.1.

Sam Jones had post-seasons as high as 28.9 ppg (!) WITH Russell, and SEVEN of 20.5+. He had regular seasons as high as 25.9 ppg with Russell with FOUR of 21.3+ and a total of SEVEN og 18.4+

And what makes all of this even more FRIGHTENING, was that you could ADD Sharman to that roster BEFORE 61-62, without losing ONE player...and you could ADD Havlicek to that same roster AFTER 61-62 without losing ONE player. That 61-62 roster, with TEN TIMES the scoring power of Wilt's teammates was MUCH stronger before 61-62, and MUCH stronger after 61-62.

Sharman had FOUR post-seasons of 20.7+ , with a high of 21.1 ppg. And he had THREE regular seasons of 20.4+, with a high of 22.3 ppg.

Havlicek played considerably better AFTER Russell. In any case, with Russell he had THREE seasons of 20.7+ ppg season, with a high of 21.6 ppg. Without Russell, he had FIVE MORE of 22.6+ with a high of... 28.9 ppg (and another season of 27.5!)

Compare all of that with Wilt's LONE 20+ scorer, WITH or WITHOUT Chamberlain. Aside from Arizin, NONE of Wilt's teammates on that 61-62 team EVER had ONE 20 ppg season.

Arizin had NINE seasons of 20.7+, with a high of 26.4 and SEVEN of 20.5+ with a high of 28.9. He even had a 26.3 WITH Wilt in '60.

So, let's add them up.

Wilt with ONE player on that 61-62 team that had multiple 20+ ppg seasons in his career.

Russell, just on that 61-62 team, had FOUR players that had multiple 20+ ppg seasons, and if you add the players before 62 and after 62, there were then SIX...all before Wilt's 64-65 season, when he was traded to Philly (and even that team was OVERWHELMED by Russell' scoring teammates.)

Of course, as Simmons alluded to (and you pointed out) Wilt played with Willie Naulls, who was washed-up by the time he came to Wilt's team...and who played WORSE with Russell.

Once again, Meschery's CAREER high season was 16.0 ppg...and it came with WILT. Gola, the WORST post-season HOF player of all-time had his HIGH season, of 15.0 ppg WITH Wilt. Rodgers, as you pointed out had a career high after Wilt of 18.6 ppg ...on get this... .373 shooting, in a league that shot .433. How about Attles? Surely after Wilt he must have proven what a scorer he could have been right? Yep, he went from a season high with Wilt of 10.9 ppg, to a career high of 11.2 ppg without him.

So, there you have it. You are trying to convince me that the bricklayers that Wilt was shackled with in '62 COULD have been productive scorers somewhere else. Yep...they sure PROVED it didn't they.

You and I BOTH know Wilt was at a HUGE disadvantage And it would get WORSE for Wilt. He lost Arizin to retirement following that '62 season (while Russell ADDED Havlicek.) From 62-63 thru the halfway point of 64-65, Chamberlain had virtually ZERO scoring options on his team. They were just awful. In his 62-63 for instance, in a year in which Wilt led the NBA in scoring at 44.8 ppg on a then-record .528 FG%...his moronic teammates collectively shot .412...and the worst team in the league was at .427.

But let's breakdown your other points...

As you know, the strategy that season was to get the ball to Wilt at all times. That killed Rodgers game. He loved to attack the basket in the open court, McGuire preferred an Arizin jump shot or a set play to Wilt. Either way, this is the season I think Rodgers becomes better than Cousy. Having watched parts of eight head-to-head games from this season, my notes almost exclusively have Rodgers getting the better of Cousy. He had already passed him in the assist standings and scored just as (in)efficiently while providing borderline all-league defense according to reputation compared to Cousy who was disinterested at best, though good for a few steals a game I'd guess. Either way, slight edge to the Warriors here. Cousy in his last to years was pretty ugly.
    So you are basically stating that Rodgers had a better season in '62 than Cousy.

Rodgers averaged 33.1 mpg, scored 8.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 8.0 apg, and shot .356 (yes, .356)

Cousy averaged 28.2 mpg, scored 15.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 7.8 apg, and shot .391.

Yep...I sure see an advantage there for the Warriors.

And let's be brutally honest here. Rodgers was very possibly the WORST shooter in NBA HISTORY. His career average was .378...in leagues that shot between .395 thru .460. And, I know, you will bring up Cousy's career average of .375...except that Cousy's league's shot between .357 and .441 (and only four seasons above .395, while Rodgers played in TWELVE seasons above .395.) Cousy not only shot much better compared to the league average, he also was nearly TWICE the scorer that Rodgers was (18.4 to 11.7 ppg).

If Rodgers NEVER took a shot, he would have been a MUCH greater player. Unfortunately, he took WAY too many. And for those that value PER, he is among the worst ever. Cousy had a career 19.5 PER...Rodgers, a paltry 13.5.
    And finally regarding Rodgers...has there ever been a player who played in 79 games, that shot as bad as he did that season. .347 (yes .347) in a league that shot .446...or nearly 100 points lower than the league average. One more time...the WORST shooter of all-time. And, he was just as bad WITH and WITHOUT Chamberlain.

You love to dog Gola as one of the worst Hall of Famers of all-time, you only cite his worst shooting postseason (when he played with a badly injured shooting hand) and never mention that this is a guy who averaged 10 rebounds and 5 assists per game while being the best defensive player at the two and three position in the league. (meaning he guarded the oppositions scoring guard or forward (excluding Pettit who he could not handle by his own admission). Gola was defensively what Sanders would become and was a better offensive player than Sanders ever could be, especially as a rookie. A big edge to Philly here.
    Gola had no business being in the HOF. His CAREER averages are 11.3 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 4.2 apg, and a .431 FG%. But, as mediocre as those pathetic numbers were...well, he quite possibly was the WORST post-season HOF player ever. His CAREER post-season averages (in FIVE post-seasons) were 11.1 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 4.6 apg...and get this...a .336 FG%. Now, as I have stated many times, here were Gola's FG%'s in his three post-season's with Wilt. .412, .206, and .271. Yes, .412, .206, and .271. Of course, he was hardly any better withOUT Wilt, either. In his two other post-seasons without Chamberlain, he shot .355 and .330.

So, as you can CLEARLY see, BOTH Gola and Rodgers were about as INEFFICIENT as you could possibly get. Wilt would have been better off with Stevie Wonder shooting the ball than those two.

And Sanders was far more efficient, and it was SANDERS, who was acknowledged as the premier defensive forward in the league by 1962 (as quoted from Cherry's book on Wilt.) Not only that, but KC Jones, the backup to both Sam and Cousy, was considered the premier defensive guard in the league. So, Boston not only had Russell, they had the two best defensive players at the F and G positions...AND they also had FAR more firepower with players like Heinsohn, S. Jones, and even Ramsey...than the pathetic shooters that Chamberlain had on his team.

And speaking of post-season shooting. That gets me back to Arizin...who was basically Wilt's ONLY legitimate scoring option. How did Arizin fare in his post-seasons with Wilt? A respectable .431 in '60, and then an awful .328 in '61 and .375 in '62.

As you can clearly understand...Wilt came to a LAST PLACE team before he arrived. Even more remarkably, with all of that ineptitude, he somehow SINGLE-HANDEDLY took that cast of over-matched clowns to a game seven against Russell's HOF-laden 60-20 Celtics...and a TWO-POINT loss. And, as incredible as it was just on the surface...not ONE of those blind teammates shot better than .397 in the '62 playoffs (meanwhile, Russell had THREE teammates shoot over the league average of .426.) NOT ONE teammate, on his ENTIRE roster, shot better than .397.

Here were the numbers....397, .375, .368, .359, .314, .271 (GOLA), .250, .200, .167, and even a .000 for good measure.

Probably the most incredible post-season by ONE player in NBA history.

I'm sorry, but there is simply NO WAY Russell could carry those idiots to a title. And one more time, other than the choking Arizin, NONE of the rest of that roster ever amounted to anything more than slightly better than ordinary teammates ANYWHERE else.
    Last edited by jlauber; 05-31-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    1. MJ
    2. Kobe
    3. Magic
    4. KAJ
    5. Bird
    6. Shaq
    7. Wilt
    8. Russell
    9. Baylor
    10. The Big O
    11. Karl Malone
    12. Jerry West

Argue if you may, this is MY opinion and unlike 99.9 percent of people on here, I saw every one of these players play live in their prime.
    Yeah......NO TIM DUNCAN ON HERE FOR ME......befor anyone can say I forgot him....lol.

Actually you 're list is probably the most accurate to the Majority of the fans.....

There is a small minority of "hardcore online" fans who use fancy ideas to push their agenda and will attack you if you don't have hakeem top 5 or slight Kobe for "winning" on a "team"

Your actually represents most fans views.....great job,

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    Kobe at #9 .

Hakeem Top 8 GOATs easily. 1994: NBA MVP + NBA FINALS MVP + DPOY all in same year also beat arch-rival Ewing in center position to win Finals MVP!!!!
    followed back-2-back finals MVP with destroying D'Rob & Shaq in 1995.

****ing GOAT Stuff.

Kobe at #9 ahead of Hakeem. Kobe is yet to beat a true SG in NBA finals. Last time I checked Billups, a true SG kicked kobe's ass in 2004 & won finals MVP.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    Actually you 're list is probably the most accurate to the Majority of the fans.....

There is a small minority of "hardcore online" fans who use fancy ideas to push their agenda and will attack you if you don't have hakeem top 5 or slight Kobe for "winning" on a "team"

Your actually represents most fans views.....great job,
    This is the majority view.

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1

repped

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1

The fans obviously did not see Russell or Wilt play, since they blindly selected Bird ahead of both, ... and who has absolutely NO case over either.

1. Kobe

2. Magic

3. Kareem

4. Shaq

5. Bird.

6. Hakeem

7. Wilt

8. Duncan

9. bynum

10. Jordan

Dunking on everybody in the park bl2k8's Avatar

1 MJ
    2 KAJ
    3 Magic
    4 Wilt
    5 Russel
    6 Bird
    7 Kobe
    8 Duncan
    9 Shaq
    10 hakeem