Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Facts Are Misleading

Default If Dirk wins a title this year, do you put it on par with '94 Hakeem and '03 Duncan?

Banned

Default Re: If Dirk wins a title this year, do you put it on par with '94 Hakeem and '03 Duncan?

yes I would although dallas could have won in 03 if dirk didn't get injured.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: If Dirk wins a title this year, do you put it on par with '94 Hakeem and '03 Duncan?

Absolutely.

I'd keep Hakeem at number 1.

2/3 would be Duncan and Dirk...don't know the order

Root Of All Evil

Hakeem
    Duncan
    Dirk

The Mavericks supporting cast is pretty good, and very well rounded.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Hakeem
    Duncan
    Dirk

The Mavericks supporting cast is pretty good, and very well rounded.
    2-9 without him

Facts Are Misleading

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Absolutely.

I'd keep Hakeem at number 1.

2/3 would be Duncan and Dirk...don't know the order
    Why do you feel what Hakeem did was more worthy of the number 1 spot than what Dirk, assuming he wins the title, has done?

Dirk has had to go through much tougher opposition, in my opinion.

Maybe the deepest team in the league 1-8 in Portland.

The 2 time defending champs in the second round without home court.

The upstart OKC Thunder who will probably end up with a title or two before it's all said and done.

...and then finally this Heat team, who has two of the top 20 players ever on their team in their primes...and an all-star power forward who drops 20/10 in his prime too.

Dirk would have gone through that very difficult road without any all-stars, and a season-ending injury to one of it's best players in Caron Butler.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by thomaspynchon
    2-9 without him
    Obviously, he's their best player. Things like that happen all the time. They are still perfectly built to surround him. So when he's on the floor, their team isn't missing a HUGE piece to the puzzle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Obviously, he's their best player. Things like that happen all the time. They are still perfectly built to surround him. So when he's on the floor, their team isn't missing a HUGE piece to the puzzle.
    yeah but when he's out the team instantly turns to shit. I would say no team has ever been so dependent on one player as dallas is on Dirk.

Very good NBA starter

Nope. Hakeem/Duncan were monster re-bounders/DPOY-caliber defender.

Dirk--not so much.

Though Dirk's offensive numbers are clearly better by a rather considerable margin...and his take-over ability is way better than both because he can catch the ball on the perimeter and isn't as vulnerable to doubles as Hakeem/Duncan.

Yup

I think i put Hakeem first just based on his pure dominance. Between Duncan and Dirk, i think both of them are pretty darn important to their teams, but while Duncan's teammates were no doubt talented, they weren't established stars before like some of Dirk's teammates. Watching the mavs it's obvious how stagnant the offense becomes when Dirk isn't in the game, but i think the same was true in '03 for Duncan not only on the offensive end, but on the defense as well.

Dunking on everybody in the park bl2k8's Avatar

Easily, there missing their second best player also.

National High School Star CJ Mustard's Avatar

No.....just no...

Magic Johnson

No, he's below those guys. Still doesn't make the Mavs run any less impressive though. He just hasn't dominated the way those guys did, especially defensively. And please, if anyone mentions Dirk shutting down Gasol they serve a permaban.

Decent college freshman

nah it's very impressive but those guys were two way players. Dirk's greatness on offense and great defensive supporting casts like Chandler/Haywood/Marion mask his deficiencies on defense.

It's more like AI in 2001 than anything, if you think this is a knock on Dirk then you didn't watch ball in AI's prime

Very good NBA starter

It's not just about teammates for me... Duncan and Hakeem - if we're talking about them in particular - were different breeds of players. Both of them at that time were averaging about 43 minutes a game in the playoffs. Not only did Hakeem win MVP that season but he also won Defensive Player Of the Year. He blocked at least 6 shots in one game of every playoff series that year. Duncan blocked 32 shots in the 2003 Finals, which is still the league record since it's counted blocks, and the Spurs defense would not have been what it was without him (David Robinson was 37, post-injury @ 23 MPG in the playoffs). Duncan cumulatively lead the 2003 playoffs in: Minutes, Points, Rebounds, Blocks, Freethrows, and Field Goals. Hakeem cumulatively lead the 1994 playoffs in: Points, Blocks, Freethrows, and Field Goals... Dirk has had 4 games of double-digit rebounding (out of 17 games) and has blocked more than 1 shot in a game just once. Dirk's offense (particularly midrange) has been probably top 1 or 2 in the playoffs this season and he carries the team in that regard, but I don't think the Mavs would be where they are without the defense of Tyson Chandler, Marion, Stevenson, Kidd, and just the help from his team in general. His team is actually really good... and that's not a knock.