Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Local High School Star crosso√er's Avatar

Default Re: Why is 2Pac's "Hit em Up" so overrated?

Music is about expression. Yes hip-hop is about lyricism, but it doesn't mean it's the only parameter. The entire track was full of hatred, it wasn't intended to hit #1 on billboards; it was meant for Pac to express his anger towards people who've shot him.

And he did it better then anyone has ever done on the mic, period.
    The ending; when he goes off on Bad Boys, threatening to bomb everyone, kill their children and mothers. Only time I believe I ever felt goosebumps listening to any rap song. The track pioneered and illustrated how music can literally kill rappers; it's one of a kind.

Substance wise; you're right, it's no where near Ether or quite a few other tracks; but guess what, I'll remember this song and bump to it far longer then Ether or Take Over or any other lyrical masterpiece; Pac hits with emotion, which is why he's the greatest. No rapper besides maybe Chuck D; ever had a voice as powerful as Pacs. And lets not pretend that Pac wasn't a damn good lyricism as well; but his flow and voice is what will embrace his legacy far longer then Biggie or anyone else.

Oh yeah, **** east coast; we'll bomb on your mother ****ers.

West Side all the way; 4 life.
    Last edited by crosso√er; 06-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Banned

so if Soulja boy was to make a diss track with the same lyric and started yelling, it would be hot right?

If that's the case, then Fat Joe's "my 4(Curtis)" 50 Cent diss should be top 10. He brought so much passion and energy, you could tell he was angry.

I don't get why people bite on this troll all the time. He does this to get a reaction out of people. You won't change his troll ways / opinion.

The guy desperately tries to convince people he's black, that alone should tell you that you are arguing with the wrong person.

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    I don't get why people bite on this troll all the time. He does this to get a reaction out of people. You won't change his troll ways / opinion.

The guy desperately tries to convince people he's black, that alone should tell you that you are arguing with the wrong person.
    Having a different opinion = trolling now?

Quote Originally Posted by Premeditated
    so if Soulja boy was to make a diss track with the same lyric and started yelling, it would be hot right?

If that's the case, then Fat Joe's "my 4(Curtis)" 50 Cent diss should be top 10. He brought so much passion and energy, you could tell he was angry.
    if it had the impact that hit em up did, sure. that song started the entire feud and led to the end of the golden era of hip hop

I think this might be one of those 'You had to have been around during that time period' to understand why it is so highly regarded. This was when the East coast/ West coast beef was raw and getting out of control.

Banned

This message is hidden because AirTupac is on your ignore list.

Local High School Star crosso√er's Avatar

If they had Tupac's impact, reputation, glare and credibility then sure.
    Do you know the saying "Actions speak louder then words"?

Pac was a real life villain or hero (to others) that just didn't give a **** and wasn't afraid to die for what he believed. Tupac the person is why his legacy will live on for a long ass time. It's not so much his music. The guy's personality also made him a damn good actor; it's not a coincidence either. You can just tell by his interviews the guy was a straight shooter; his honesty is what I love the most about him as a person.

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac

Couldn't agree more.

hit em up = overrated

College superstar

It wasn't even really a diss track, more of an angry rant.

"Hit Em Up" is nothing but Pac rambling on and throwing a temper tantrum. This is what it basically is: "FUKK YOU, FUKK YOU BAD BOY, I slept with your wife fat man, Prodigy has sickle cell anemia, WE GONNA KILL ALL YOU! blah blah blah

Just childish, loud smack talk, nothing dope being said and Pac getting outdone lyrically by Kadafi.
    Last edited by Ne 1; 06-25-2011 at 10:42 PM.

What's funny is 2pac turned out to be right about Biggie and Puff. They knew all about the hit on him that night.

"Long Kiss Goodnight" owns 'Hit em up".

OP is right, most overrated song. So many great songs by Pac, this is a weak one.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

Not airballing my layups anymore

dude, just shut the **** up.

mr lyrcal proffesor of complex rhymes make a diss. ***** do u kno what a diss means. it dont got to do anything with rhyming style n 2pac took that diss to a whole nother level. he could've banged biggys bitchs, shes a hoe, if he did she def wouldnt admit it... either way this diss shits on ether or takeover. prob the best diss ever *** it.