Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: What God says to Atheists: "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools!"

Default Re: What God says to Atheists: "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    This post would be more valid if it wasn't an accepted fact that many denominations openly claim that what is in the Bible is not 100% factual. lol
    yep, when things are impossible they need something to hide behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hittin_Shots
    God works in mysterious ways?

What does this have to do with omni coming off as being quite ignorant of religions in general? lol

So they're like the dream time stories of the aboriginal people? they're stories made up to explain things in a cool way? Saying something is metaphoric doesn't make the interpretations given any more real.
    I don't understand. Are you saying that it makes the interpretations less real?

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    I think we have a case here of two non-believers trying to act smart and funny, but failing miserably at it. lol

Makes the rest of us who don't believe look like idiots.

So the scholars and the philosophers, the people to whom we owe virtually every material and mental comfort we have in the actual living world and have done so many great things for the living people of the world are going to "look foolish" .

Just sounds like your typical religious dogma. No matter how much good or how much bad your actions, you are infallibly good as long as you prescribe to their specific doctrine and infallibly evil as long as you don't.

I didn't say that I just said them being metephoric doesn't make religion any more feasible.

I think we have a case here of two non-believers trying to act smart and funny, but failing miserably at it. lol

I always think it's funny that if I say anything about religion posters think I'm trying to defend said religion or even worse convert them. For me it's a very personal thing and what others choose to believe or not believe is their business.

The complete dismissal of anything scholarly in the world's religions by cocksure teenage basketball fans is amusing though.

I always think it's funny that if I say anything about religion posters think I'm trying to defend said religion or even worse convert them. For me it's a very personal thing and what others choose to believe or not believe is their business.

The complete dismissal of anything scholarly in the world's religions by cocksure teenage basketball fans is amusing though.
    I'd like to think it's a phase....but we know better.

There may well be a creator I don't see how this could be proven or disproven, but I do not believe in man made religions. I found this argument in another religion ISH thread. This logically makes sense to me....

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    i might believe in some super unknown power who created all of this, but i just happen to reject all the religious explanations given to us to date because all religions are self-serving to only mankind.

and if you think about it, religion is pretty much about living with certain rules in life and that we will be judged altogether at the end. but if there is an all-greater being, i don't even know if he really gives a shit on how we live because we're so really so insignificant relative to EVERYTHING ELSE. maybe our existence is just part of the natural process that doesn't even have much meaning. but of course, we don't want to believe that because that's not interesting to us as humans.

and if you look at our total existence on this whole universe and compare it to everything else (space and time), we are so just small... almost to the point of nothing.

if you believe in the big bang, then everything was created 13-14 billion years ago, and our solar system was only formed 4.5 billion years ago. so look at our entire existence of mankind. we haven't been around for that long compared to the entire history of the universe. our existence maybe only represents 0.00001% of the entire time span since the universe was created. there were billions of other creatures before us. and there'll probably be billions of other life forms when we are gone, yet right now, at this moment, we only make ourselves believe that everything that was created till this point was simply created for us.

and it's not just time, but even space. think about our whole existence in terms of size because our planet is only a small ass dot in the entire universe. there are billions of other planets in the entire milky way, yet we only focus in believing a god that only gives a sh!t about us and our little activities right here on tiny earth when we don't even know what giant worlds may exist light years away.

so relative to everything else, our whole existence is only a speckle of time and space to everything. yet somehow, we humans are so self-centered to imagine that everything that was made before us as well as all around us was to only serve our own mankind agenda as it fits us. we taught ourselves that we have to live a certain way because that's only how harmony would be achieved, yet we ignore all balance of harmonies for other things, places, and time. there's soooo much more out there than just our insignificant existence.

and it's kinda funny we make up imaginary rules like this great all-knowing being really gives a sh!t if we choose to do things like have sex before marriage, etc... all this stuff just seems so trivial in the whole scheme of things. i mean, does our insignificant activities really matter much at all in relation to big picture? maybe folks should just start living their lives instead of focusing on how to be accordingly through religion. we're all a natural process.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    So the scholars and the philosophers, the people to whom we owe virtually every material and mental comfort we have in the actual living world and have done so many great things for the living people of the world are going to "look foolish" .

Just sounds like your typical religious dogma. No matter how much good or how much bad your actions, you are infallibly good as long as you prescribe to their specific doctrine and infallibly evil as long as you don't.
    That's an interesting interpretation. A little too simplistic for my tastes. I kind of view St. Paul's letters as an attempt to form a universal church among the diverse populations of the Gentiles.

St. Paul's Epistles were not deliberate treatises and systematic expositions of Christian theology. They were not something studied and literary. They were simple letters, pastoral and not personal, written on a specific occasion and to a particular body of converts. They were suggestions in regard to local difficulties, or words of counsel, encouragement or consolation.

They were supplementary to the ordinary teaching, and he does not dwell in them on anything that is not a matter of controversy or difficulty. Hence, they were not called forth by any inward purpose or necessity on the part of the Apostle to formulate his thought, but each of them was written in response to particular conditions in the community to which it was addressed. And the contents and form are often due to the Apostle's vivid realization of the situation to which he is addressing himself.

Or they do... Just my opinion.
    if you choose to think like that then what will ever surprise you..

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnin4HoLeS
    if you choose to think like that then what will ever surprise you..
    Qualifying something as fate or coincidence doesn't change the ability to be surprised by it does it?

So I'm not smart and funny? I thought I was...