Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: So what if the players threaten to start their own franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    This thread is so full of stupid I don't know where to begin.
    your post is so full of stupid I don't know where to begin.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

people who say this cant be done have no idea.
    ive heard people claim hiring personal is a problem. im sorry, but its an opportunity in bussines sense. specially considering how many peopke out there without jobs.

you only need a CEO and a good lawyer firm. you start financing it with tv deals, national channels go into a bid war because the product is stablished and they know the formula.

you sign a big sponsorhip deal to give name to the league, say IBM Basketball League. they will gladly take care of the marketing for you. logos, advrtisments etc...

the biggest problem i see is who is going to buy the new franchises, some could possibly turn into annonymous societies or even welcome public investment so the actual city say Boston is supporting the team financislly while at the same time getting a revenue from ticket sales, this will improve the feeling of real fan of a team, something nba lacks.

players would have the exact same life they have now. people who imagine them
    in suits dealing with tv networks are either 8 year olds or grown ups who never really grew up, seriously get a grip.

bottom line is people need not to reply to topics if theyre only goal is to prove how little they know about it.
    Last edited by SpanishACB; 07-01-2011 at 02:15 PM.

This question is more or less like saying "why don't all workers say f*ck my job i'm starting my own business." The answer being, as others have said, if it was that simple everyone would be doing it. Too many things to worry about and i'd think the players would much rather just focus on playing basketball and have the business aspects be worked out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    This question is more or less like saying "why don't all workers say f*ck my job i'm starting my own business." The answer being, as others have said, if it was that simple everyone would be doing it. Too many things to worry about and i'd think the players would much rather just focus on playing basketball and have the business aspects be worked out for them.
    Trying to compare NBA players to people at a "normal job" is insane. But just to play along with your insane game, lawyers do this ALL THE TIME. They leave big firms because the options may be better in a solo or small practice where they are the boss and they don't have to split their proceeds up as much.

But again, must business are full of players with that have grossed 20-100 million in their careers. I'm not saying it is likely but they ability to do it.

sigh...
    do you realize nba players are not labour but the stellar product?
    if you leave your job as a pie cook we sign another one. if a guy with 10 million fans who can play basketball better than 99'9% of the world leaves his job you CANT just hire another. owners need lebron whilst lebron doesnt care who the owner is, it doesnt affect him because he is the product.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    sigh...
    do you realize nba players are not labour but the stellar product?
    if yoy leave your job as a pie cook we sign another one. if a guy with 10 million fans who can play basketball better than 99'9% of the world you CANT just hire another. owners need lebron whilst lebron doesnt care who the owner is, it doesnt affect him because he is the product.
    They are stellar players, but they are also in a STELLAR LEAGUE. Do you think that the NBA holds all the best basketball players in the world? Or maybe it's just that they have a structured system, they pump a ton of money into it, they have the top advertisers, marketers, etc... which makes them standout more than others. It's hard to just up and create something like that out of nowhere just based on "talent." If it was, it would've been done a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Trying to compare NBA players to people at a "normal job" is insane. But just to play along with your insane game, lawyers do this ALL THE TIME. They leave big firms because the options may be better in a solo or small practice where they are the boss and they don't have to split their proceeds up as much.

But again, must business are full of players with that have grossed 20-100 million in their careers. I'm not saying it is likely but they ability to do it.
    Are you trying to tell me that basketball is something you can make a career out of for yourself as an individual? Like if you are a supremely talented athlete you can create your own career and become as rich or richer than you would be in the NBA WITHOUT a league? Are you really that delusional?

Are you trying to tell me that basketball is something you can make a career out of for yourself as an individual? Like if you are a supremely talented athlete you can create your own career and become as rich or richer than you would be in the NBA WITHOUT a league? Are you really that delusional?
    They can create another league if they are so inclined. League's have been created before. The players are the product not the franchises. It would have to be a group effort but it is possible.

At one time there was actually two leagues in the United States...OMG ITZ HAPPENZ BE4Z

They are stellar players, but they are also in a STELLAR LEAGUE. Do you think that the NBA holds all the best basketball players in the world? Or maybe it's just that they have a structured system, they pump a ton of money into it, they have the top advertisers, marketers, etc... which makes them standout more than others. It's hard to just up and create something like that out of nowhere just based on "talent." If it was, it would've been done a long time ago.
    ill try to bear with you for a minute...

look, for every stellar marketing guru working in the nba theres another thousand willing to take his job, so your argument about the importance of the league is null. specially when you take into account that tje players are not a product that needs excesive help from marketing to achieve sales, one could argue the product sells itself.

about the difficulty of creating it i have the impression many of you are just plain naive. do you think there isnt a queue of companies of equal or greater prestige willing to do the job that stern and co are doing? let me go further, i could go as far as assuming that Fisher and his friends have had multiple offers from investment groups already and theyre going to have many more these days.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    They can create another league if they are so inclined. League's have been created before. The players are the product not the franchises. It would have to be a group effort but it is possible.

At one time there was actually two leagues in the United States...OMG ITZ HAPPENZ BE4Z
    Obviously it's possible, but it's very unlikely. Players go to the biggest leagues that pay the most money. They may be the product but there's a lot more that goes into running a business than just being a good or great basketball player. They'd have to pump in their own money to actually run the league and last I checked, there isn't an NBA player on the planet that makes that kind of dough. Then, they would have to find a way to advertise this new league in your fantasy world, and try and strike lucrative deals to do so.

Obviously it's possible, but it's very unlikely. Players go to the biggest leagues that pay the most money. They may be the product but there's a lot more that goes into running a business than just being a good or great basketball player. They'd have to pump in their own money to actually run the league and last I checked, there isn't an NBA player on the planet that makes that kind of dough. Then, they would have to find a way to advertise this new league in your fantasy world, and try and strike lucrative deals to do so.
    did you even read this last page of the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    did you even read this last page of the thread?
    Nope. I responded to the OP, you quoted me and I responded to you. I have nothing left to say to you. I've made my point. Ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters
    Most of these guys can't handle a small mom and pop shop with out going under,how the F would they start and run there own league?
    When your talking about something this big, all they have to do is choose THE RIGHT people to run it for them. And when I say right im talking about making sure that the people you put in charge to run your business share your view on how the business should be run. Hell most players do this now.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    When your talking about something this big, all they have to do is choose THE RIGHT people to run it for them. And when I say right im talking about making sure that the people you put in charge to run your business share your view on how the business should be run. Hell most players do this now.
    But do you realize they need a lot of money to do this? Starting a league from the ground up wouldn't be cheap.

But do you realize they need a lot of money to do this? Starting a league from the ground up wouldn't be cheap.
    you sound like a broken record on loop. the money is there, i explain this in the first posts of this page, do us all a favor and go read it, you might learn a few things.