4) Nash- 8 6 10 9 10 9 6 9
    5) Rondo- 10 8 5 10 10 9 10 8
    6) Westbrook- 9 9 7 9 7 9 9 8
    7) Parker- 9 8 7 10 7 9 9 8
    8) Billups 8 8 9 8 7 8 9 10
    9) Kidd 7 6 9 7 9 8 9 10
    10) Wall 10 9 6 9 8 9 8 8

Default Re: Rank the top 10 point guards in the NBA

Rose ( I will be the first to put him as number 1. We all know if it wasn't true this year it will be damn true next year.)
    Deron Williams
    CP3
    Rondo
    Westbrook
    Nash
    Curry
    Parker
    Wall
    JKidd

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by az00m
    Rose[ ( I will be the first to put him as number 1. We all know if it wasn't true this year it will be damn true next year.)
    Deron Williams
    CP3
    Rondo
    Westbrook
    Nash
    Curry
    Parker
    Wall
    JKidd
    Are you sure you wrote that the way you meant it? Seems to be the exact opposite of what most people "know"

I don't get picked last at the park anymore dbronx42's Avatar

Ty Lawson is a better overall player than Billups... Ask any Nugget fan and they'll tell you the same thing. The only thing Chauncey is better at is his leadership. Which is one of the best in the league. But Ty Lawson is much more skilled as a player.

Hopefully next year Ty gets starters minuets and he shoes the league what us Nuggets fans have seen for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by yobore
    Are you sure you wrote that the way you meant it? Seems to be the exact opposite of what most people "know"
    In the eyes of the majority of this forum it isn't true. I believe he is already the best pg and will be the best pg for at least the next 5 years. But, other people still think Cp3 is the best.

National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batz
    1. Deron Williams - Definately the best all around point guard in the league. He can destroy defenses in so many ways and then hold his own on the other end. Definately for me the complete package as far as a franchise-run point guard.

2. Chris Paul - Don't get me wrong, Paul here is one of my most favorite players, he's the complete package aswell, but with crappy bubble wrap. We saw how late in the Lakers series, he became almost completely ineffective when the LA took away the Hornet's PNR team. He faded and didn't even bother to adjust. A healthy Paul probably would've done better yes, but till I see otherwise, right now he's just not the best point guard in the NBA.

3. Derrick Rose - I placed the MVP, and my top 3 favorite player at 3 simply because I don't believe he's a better point guard when comparing to Deron and Paul. Though I do think he is more dominant, however his defensive short comings, low efficiency, lack of a consistent shooting touch, aswell as an inferior passing skill set when comparing to the two guys above, are the reasons why I put Rose at 3rd place.

4. Steve Nash - I hate putting this guy so low, but his defense is completely atrocious. And I'm Canadian, aswell as a huge Nash fan. An elite shooter, arguably the best, great passer with unique and out of this world court vision and the unmatched durability - puts the old man at 4th place.

5. Russel Westbrook - He definitely, definitely, the best all around player on the list given, definitely the best defender.. He can do just about everything, maybe except shooting threes, but there's also another flaw, his point guard skills. He can pass, but not that well. We saw him exposed in the playoffs continuously, whether it be screwing up the pass or play, or simply not passing/running the play at all. He tries to run the show too much, not that great of a shot selection, and his court vision is noticeably blurred. He's a point guard, but at random times, he's not.

6. Rajan Rondo - Never liked the guy but he's good. Really good defender, unmatched hustle, and play making abilities to the likes of Steve Nash, and doesn't need an offensive system to flourish in, despite what some people try to negatively shove down your throat. Though he does not have a jump shot, nor does he have the free throw touch. Which is a must in a point guard, especially when a jump shot is what holding Rondo from being a poor mans Steve Nash to possibly the best and most unique guard in the league today.

7. Tony Parker - A scoring point guard who still has the traditional point guard skill set in him. I always believed he could've been more than 20/7 type player, even before his 55 point eruption. I don't know why he didn't live up to such potential maybe a more consistent jumper? No one held him back, atleast that's what it seemed. Though a really talented scorer, especially in the paint, 7th place is fitting for a former finals MVP.

Jason Kidd - The old man is very underrated. As if he has camouflaged with the hardwood. Still is the same player, just at a much slower pace, minus the scoring - for the greater good. One thing that still stands out about him other than his elite passing ability and sudden shooting touch is his defense. It startles me when I don't see people pointing out that somehow this grandpa is holding his ground against players like Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade. Especially in Finals, I saw him on several possessions make Wade struggle. This guy is still a top 10 point guard for me. And should be for everyone.

9. Chauncey Billups - A healthy Billups can turn a team around, we've all seen it happen, and I do believe it would be the same for knicks. If he didn't make a pullup transition three his #1 move in the arsenal, he could've been higher. But his defense, leadership and clutchness keeps him in my top

10. John Wall - A bright, bright future. Honestly, the guy is experience and a jump shot away from being in the status of the likes of Rose. It's almost undeniable. Though I hate putting him here just out of potential, as you could've put someone like Curry here aswell. I just believe that Wall will infact have a better and more successful career.

Dead Last. Jose Calderon - Seriously sickens me how much this guy sucks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGmOlANxMig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jn87CTrJUU&NR=1
    How the f*ck does that happen?
    thats why he's not the best.....he's a product of the PnR...once you defend it properly you make paul almost useless. Overrated, plus he had a sub par season. a few games against old arse derrick fisher and a laker tema that struggles with every fast PG in the league dont change that

Everyone keep chiming in with your opinions. And again, be sure to consider defense as well.

After a bunch of days of this, I'm going to look at the opinions here and form my own opinion, and post player rankings as a feature on InsideHoops.com

Banned

Rose. In the gym. Right now. You should be scared.
    Paul. Everything has been said, great pg, but too injury prone imo.
    Williams. A little less good then Paul. Still an amazing pg who can do anything a pg should be able to do.
    Westbrook. Will only be better next year, in the gym right now with Rose.
    Nash. Best offensive pure pg by far, still. D is what it is though..
    Rondo. Great passer and defender, but the fact that this dude just cannot get a decent J is unbelievable to me.
    Parker. Underrated by most, great scorer, solid passer.
    Wall. Crazy ceiling, I see him somewhere inbetween Rose and Westbrook, I don't think he'll reach Rose's level of impact on games, but I think he can get better then Westbrook.
    Kidd. The D is still there, can spot up and shoot now, leadership is there.
    Curry. Will go down as the GOAT shooter. Offensively this guy can get on Steve Nash level if you ask me. Defense has to get better though.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Scale from 1-10

Speed/Strength/Shooting/Drive/Passing/Ballhandling/Defense/Leadership

1) Williams- 9 10 9 9 9 9 9 9
    2) Paul- 9 7 9 10 9 10 9 9
    3) Rose- 10 10 7 10 7 9 9 8
    4) Nash- 8 6 10 9 10 9 6 9
    5) Rondo- 10 8 5 10 10 9 10 8
    6) Westbrook- 9 9 7 9 7 9 9 8
    7) Parker- 9 8 7 10 7 9 9 8
    8) Billups 8 8 9 8 7 8 9 10
    9) Kidd 7 6 9 7 9 8 9 10
    10) Wall 10 9 6 9 8 9 8 8
    CP3 passing is 10

1. Paul
    2. Williams
    3. Rose
    4. Rondo
    5. Nash
    6. Westbrook
    7. Parker
    8. Billups
    9. Kidd
    10. Wall or Curry

Pretty weird thinking about how the league's MVP isn't even the best at his position. I guess it shows how up much team record has to do with the award. Not saying Rose didn't deserve it, just weird.

1. CP3
    2. Rose
    3. Williams
    4. ondo
    5. Westbrook
    6. Nash
    7. Kidd
    8. Parker
    9. Curry
    10. Wall

Rose
    Paul
    Nash
    Rondo
    Westbrook
    D.Williams
    Parker
    Kidd
    Wall
    Curry

   

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Kidd-

Speed 7
    Strength 6
    Shooting 9
    Drive 7
    Passing 9
    Ballhandling 8
    Defense 9
    Leadership 10
    appreciate the detailed approach. can't help it, but i've got to nitpick a little:

- if "speed" means footspeed combined with overall quickness (like hand speed), then i guess a seven is okay for kidd. he's got to have the slowest feet among all NBA guards yet still has those lightning-quick hands.

- your strength rating is way off- that has to be a ten. when kidd was with the nets, he did the strongest leg-presses on the whole team... PF's and C's included. i've also heard anecdotes that while with the mavs he's been one of the top performers in the weight room. tim walsh, his trainer from the nets, was in awe of kidd's sheer physical strength and motivation in training. fact is, his strength is probably a big part of what lets him do the unthinkable for all other PG's in the league- to guard guys as tall and strong as carmelo anthony on a regular basis, and to do it well.

- "driving" should probably be the lowest on the list. "passing" has got to be a ten, tied with a couple other passing wizards. "defense" should be a little lower since kidd struggles so much in man defense against fast PG's.

- leadership certainly deserves a ten, but i'd also add a "BBIQ" category and also give him a ten there. i've seen a couple of polls by NBA players through the years, and as a group they've never ranked him less than the smartest player in the league (usually followed by nash & kobe). or, simply watching him play, you'll see examples of his BBIQ over and over again...

yea, i've been watching kidd for awhile now. :P

Local High School Star

1. D. Williams
    can do and actually does everything a PG should do. perfect point guard. (the one i would choose for my franchise)
    2. CP3
    right up there with D.Will but his injuries and the fact that i like length on all positions, gives D.Will the Nr.1
    3. Rose
    young MVP says alot. but i like PGs who balance their game by what is given to them by the other team and dont think about scoring first every game.

4. Nash
    Hall of famer. great quaterback and one of the best shooters. it must be great to play with him.
    5. Parker
    underrated. best PG scorer in the paint. headaches for most teams.
    6. Rondo
    if he could shoot the ball he would be up there in the top 3.
    7. Kidd
    Hall of famer. found his jumper (remember the Ason Kidd jokes a few years back), great quaterback and leader.
    8. Westbrook
    wow, talented, just wow. BUT he has to learn a lot about how to run a team and to do the right things when needed.

9. Billups
    leader, makes few mistakes
    10. Miller
    classic PG

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
    thats why he's not the best.....he's a product of the PnR...once you defend it properly you make paul almost useless. Overrated, plus he had a sub par season. a few games against old arse derrick fisher and a laker tema that struggles with every fast PG in the league dont change that
    you don't really believe this?