Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Magic Johnson

Default Re: Replace Michael Jordan with Kobe Bryant on the 90s Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    Wild exaggeration. However, that shortened three point line during Bryant's prime would have been interesting to see.
    Yeah, especially the Lakers core comprised of Smush Parker and Kwame Brown. That would've been ridiculously fun to watch.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Which is why nobody is claiming Kobe would win 6. You act like Kobe is incapable of playing great.

I'm known as the biggest Kobe hater here. A label I proudly take on.

But this is just silly. Yes, there would be a drop off....but definitely not a 6 to 0 drop off. I see him winning 2.....maybe 3.

0 in a hypothetical like this is a joke. Sorry.

And again, I love to put the moron Kobe stans like LA Showtime in their place. But for once, he's right.
    He's not beating the Pistons.
    He's not beating the Knicks.
    He's not beating the Lakers.
    He's not beating the Cavs
    He's not beating the Magic.
    He's not beating the Jazz.
    He's not beating the Sonics.
    He's not beating the Suns.

And I doubt that he can beat the Heat (under Riley) or even the better Pacers teams.

Remember.... first he needs to get to the Finals.

And if he does, we know how well he does there. How is he gonna win a ring if he has a history of sucking? against some great players and teams? Pippen aint gonna save him, he doesn't do so well himself. Luc? who is he gonna rely on? is he gonna chuck and chuck up shots like he has his entire Finals career?

or is he gonna get Pippen and his low fg% involved? oh yeah... feed it to his all star big man... oh wait.

It would be nice to believe "well... he's one of the greatest players ever, so why not just plug him in, and I"m sure he can win at least 2, at the very least."

But once we start to think about shit, it doesn't become as easy as just plugging a player in. Same with the other retarded situations and threads we've seen as of late. YOu can't just plug in a player and expect shit to automagically happen.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923

And I doubt that he can beat the Heat (under Riley) or even the better Pacers teams.

And if he does, we know how well he does there. How is he gonna win a ring if he has a history of sucking? against some great players and teams? Pippen aint gonna save him, he doesn't do so well himself. Luc? who is he gonna rely on? is he gonna chuck and chuck up shots like he has his entire Finals career?

or is he gonna get Pippen and his low fg% involved? oh yeah... feed it to his all star big man... oh wait.

It would be nice to believe "well... he's one of the greatest players ever, so why not just plug him in, and I"m sure he can win at least 2, at the very least."

But once we start to think about shit, it doesn't become as easy as just plugging a player in. Same with the other retarded situations and threads we've seen as of late. YOu can't just plug in a player and expect shit to automagically happen.

wow dude, that's a stupid ****ing post

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

I can't prove you wrong, but you are not being logical.

Kobe, in his prime, was around 15% to 20% worse than Jordan. A few of those Bulls team could have seen a drop off like that and still won. 91 and 97 are examples of this.

And again, Kobe at his best is even closer to MJ. And Kobe has been at his best at times in the playoffs.

The only argument you have is that Kobe would crumble in the finals every single year. I don't buy it. He'd play well enough to win just like he has many times.

Magic Johnson

I don't even know why Kobe's shortcomings in the Finals are being brought up. Kobe has consistently played against the top rated defense or the team that was generally regarded as the best defensively. That always gets overlooked for some reason.

No, he wouldn't. There was room some years for a drop off. 91 for example, the Bulls lost 2 games all playoffs. You really think Kobe doesn't win that year in a hypothetical like this? You have to use a little bit of logic and evidence.
    And shall we look at how great MJ performed during that run?

Has Kobe ever played like Mj did in the Finals?

Like somebody mentioned, some of those games were close, and MJ had to come through big time, if not they lose... plain and simple.

Knowing what we know and having FACTS and history back us up, do we expect Kobe to lead them past the Lakers in these moments?

Me thinks not.

let us all go back and watch tape, the Bulls could've easily lost in every one of their title runs. A game here and a game there and it's over for them.

Didn't happen, cause MJ was there.

Magic Johnson

Well, I guess we can officially label Andgar as the Indian Guy of Jordan's Bulls.

Like somebody mentioned, some of those games were close, and MJ had to come through big time, if not they lose... plain and simple.

Knowing what we know and having FACTS and history back us up, do we expect Kobe to lead them past the Lakers in these moments?

Me thinks not.

let us all go back and watch tape, the Bulls could've easily lost in every one of their title runs. A game here and a game there and it's over for them.

Not every year. Certainly not in 91. There was plenty of margin for error actually.

Magic Johnson

Me thinks not.

Since were playing this game Kobe wouldn't have retired and left the Bulls with no time to sign anyone else. Therefore, you could add those years to the discussion.

I can't prove you wrong, but you are not being logical.

Kobe, in his prime, was around 15% to 20% worse than Jordan. A few of those Bulls team could have seen a drop off like that and still won. 91 and 97 are examples of this.

And again, Kobe at his best is even closer to MJ. And Kobe has been at his best at times in the playoffs.

The only argument you have is that Kobe would crumble in the finals every single year. I don't buy it. He'd play well enough to win just like he has many times.
    That's the only argument needed!!!

You expect a player that has been as bad as he has in the Finals to just play well enough for them to win?

MJ had to play more than just well enough, he had to f*ckin be amazing for them to win! What does playing well enough even mean?

Him sucking just a little less?

I'm serious.

How less badly does Kobe need to play for them to win?

Remember.... he has Pippen and Luc as his teammates, not Gasol or Shaq.

So does Kobe need to play 10% less sucky? or 25% less sucky for them to win? Sorry.... 'well enough'.

That's the only argument needed!!!

You expect a player that has been as bad as he has in the Finals to just play well enough for them to win?

MJ had to play more than just well enough, he had to f*ckin be amazing for them to win! What does playing well enough even mean?

Him sucking just a little less?

I'm serious.

How less badly does Kobe need to play for them to win?

Remember.... he has Pippen and Luc as his teammates, not Gasol or Shaq.

So does Kobe need to play 10% less sucky? or 25% less sucky for them to win? Sorry.... 'well enough'.

Do you realize that Pippen is a better player than Gasol? Please answer.

Besides... there's one significantly huge aspect ya'll are either avoiding or ignorantly overlooking.

Knowing what we know about Kobe, and knowing what we know about the Bulls' rise to glory.

How is he gonna help transform them from a struggling team, to champions, specially Pippen?

Errrr..... ummmm....

Yeah... we all know of Pippen as a top 50 player, but if we replace MJ with Kobe, that means that he also gets the raw rookie. How is Kobe gonna transform him and the entire franchise?

Here's a hint.....

He won't.

He just started to 'get it' about 4 years ago, and even then that's debatable. And all this after MJ laid down the roadmap for him to follow, and Phil and the triangle had been established already.

Do you realize that Pippen is a better player than Gasol? Please answer.
    He's not a big man.

Different roles.

Shall we look at the performance differential between MJ and PIp and Kobe and Gasol or Shaq? or even Odom for shits and giggles?

We'll see who had to carry who the most. And Kobe would need to do lots more carrying than he currently does. As the difference in performance is wider for MJ and Pip than vice versa.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by blablabla
    defense in the early 2000 is much better than defense in the 90s
    and kobe averaged 30 in 2003 so that's not a problem for him

well if we talk about 03/04 05/06 and 06/07 Kobe for the title runs from 91 to 93 he wins atleast 2 maybe even 3

and if we have 07/08 - 09/10 Kobe for 96-98
    it's the same

so he wins about 4-6 titles

early 2000 defense is as good as 90s, not better.

Thanks for telling the truth that kobe could only average 30 ppg once on 45%when he had to deal with handchecking, body contact and physical before 2006.
    So it obviously does have a problem for him