Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease 15yearmagicfan's Avatar

Default Re: Players Top Ten Vertical Leap

Wing span plays a huge part in how high obviously. Tmac had like a 7 footer wing span. THis list is purely vertical leap. Of course a lot of it is debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    The whole list is a joke.

David Thompson has the highest vertical in the NBA, ever.
    Bleacher Report is absolute garbage for any sort of authoritative information. I haven't looked yet, but let me guess, you have to click through a slideshow.

Yup. Of course. They know that people love lists, so they create 4 and 5 a week. Of course, if you knew shit about sports, you wouldn't work for bleacherreport.

In terms of NBA leapers, Jordan was able to "hang" in the air more than any player I'ver ever seen. Physics says that the only way to do that is the jump higher. I think part of it was his exceptional body control that allowed him to do multiple things in the air or wait until the last moment to do what he wanted to do. Dr. J had that too, but not to the extent that Jordan did. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan on occasion hit 48 inches. I haven't seen too much of David Thompson, but from what I have seen he wasn't able to do the things in the air that Jordan did.

Local High School Star

Tmac and Jordan is bullshit. Funny Vince at 43 getting outjumped by almost everyone on the list. Absolute garbage list

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    eh, 42 inches would mean his head would be very close to the rim and even in the dunk contests he attended that was never going on. Doesn't really matter though, he was still an absolute monster up until that knee surgery.

I think a big reason Amar'e could come back strong after his surgery was that a lot of the subtler aspects of his athleticism were not lost. He doesn't get off the ground particularly high anymore, but he still probably has the quickest first step out of any big man in the league and he still has great body control. He also has big hands which means he doesn't have to get up as high to dunk and can focus more of his momentum toward getting to the rim rather than getting up.
    he's 6'10 that would mean he needs a 38 inch vertical

Banned

Shannon Brown's vertical is probably the greatest in the league right now.. does that make him a great player? nah..

Fun to watch at times though.

and the writer of the article has never heard of Darrell Griffith

Bottom Line: Never heard of this dude, but a 4 foot (48") vertical leap puts him on the freaking moon! His vertical leap is as high as Jordan's! That puts the top of his head a full 4 inches above the rim and only two inches lower than His Airness. Who is this guy? !
    Also there's a clip on youtube where Jordan says David Thompson has a 44 inch vertical, but he had much smaller hands than Dr. J. which would explain why he couldn't do as much in the air as Jordan or Julius.

Thank you Based Presti OKCThunderUP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rnbizzle
    Shannon Brown's vertical is probably the greatest in the league right now.. does that make him a great player? nah..

Fun to watch at times though.
    LOL, no he's not. It's gotta be someone like Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, etc...

But like someone already pointed out, Bleacher Report is complete and utter garbage. Anyone can write an article on that website and few, if any, of them have any journalism credibility. For instance, I read an article earlier claiming Brett Favre is the best QB to have ever played the game and it even had the audacity to rank Drew Bledsoe at #16. HAH!

Take anything you read on there with a grain of salt.

High School Varsity 6th Man

This is what a 50+ looks like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijOSJ1KqYqA

If Jordan had a 48 inch vert his shoulder would be at rim.

Guys like Westbrook and Derrick Rose have 40+ verts.
    Last edited by DropStep; 07-20-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OKCThunderUP
    LOL, no he's not. It's gotta be someone like Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, etc...

But like someone already pointed out, Bleacher Report is complete and utter garbage. Anyone can write an article on that website and few, if any, of them have any journalism credibility. For instance, I read an article earlier claiming Brett Favre is the best QB to have ever played the game and it even had the audacity to rank Drew Bledsoe at #16. HAH!

da *** yea it is pretty well known actually that brown has one of the highest if not the highest verticals in the L, check his wiki (not that its official or anything)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOOo...eature=related This would have to be one of the highest I've seen a NBA player get in a game. That would have to be 40+ inches. Video is of LeBron catching a bad lob from Mo Williams.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OKCThunderUP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LXrKQyJoK4

BERNARD KING ......... 6'7"........... 46" VERTICAL LEAP!!!!!?!?!?!?!?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha

STOPPED READING RIGHT THERE................ EVEN REGGIE MILLER HAD A BETTER VERTICAL LEAP LMFAO!!!!!!!

THIS FORCED ME TO WATCH ALL HIS HIGHLIGHTS AND PICTURES.................... INCLUDING THAT YOUTUBE LINK HE GAVE.......... WHERE BERNARD HAD ONLY ONE DUNK.......... A FASTBREAK DUNK WHERE HE TOOK OF WITH ALL OF HIS 46" INCHES AND COULD BARELLY PUT IT IN... ALMOST BREAKING HIS BACK............... LMFAO
    Last edited by pauk; 07-21-2011 at 07:23 AM.

No Shannon Brown? He's 6'2-6'3 with a verified 45 inch vertical...

Carter with a 43 inch vertical? I doubt that. It's closer to 40 than it is to 45 I'll just say that. He has n large wingspan though, which helps him dunk alot.

Jordan with 48 inch vertical? I've seen the guys head at the rim regularly. But with a 48 inch vertical he would have his shoulders/upperchest at rim level at his peak. Which I don't believe to tell you the truth.

No Thompson? Surprise, then again it's BR...

I knew Iverson vertical leap was like 40 something

Could Melo really jump higher than Shawn Kemp?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Could Melo really jump higher than Shawn Kemp?
    i just saw that!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

carmelo does NOT have a 41" vertical leap!!!! LMFAO!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

and the funniest thing is......... all over the net it says his vertical leap is 41".... WTF!!! how is that possible...........

you know what 41" means to a height of 6'8" ????? i will draw a mathematical solution of this matter........... brb!