Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: ESPN's entire panel agrees that Carmelo Anthony is NBA's most overrated

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    Dwight-nope
    Dirk-nope
    LeBron/Wade-nope
    Durant-nope
    Rose-nope
    Kobe-nope
    CP3-nope
    Deron Williams-nope

Hell he might not even be better than Amare or Nash
    Dwight, Dirk, LeBron, Wade, CP3, Amar'e, Nash, no, Melo isn't better at basketball than those guys. I'd put D-Will here too, but I've never been completely sold on him. Something's off.
    Durant, maybe. Melo kills him H2H, but Durant I think will get better than he is now, and he's pretty good right now. Toss up.
    I'd rather have Melo than Kobe, and I think he's better than Rose.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Default Re: ESPN's entire panel agrees that Carmelo Anthony is NBA's most overrated

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
    If you think Melo isnt better than Amare then its clear you have an agenda and/or do not watch the nba that often. And yes Melo is better than Dirk a statement most would hav agreed with prior to the Mavs winning the title.

So excluding Dirk you named 6 players, 2 of which are on the same team so that leaves 25 teams out of 30 who dont have a star player as talented as Melo...which pretty much satisfies my 9 out of 10 probability regarding him.

Either way you still proved my argument
    90%, 9 of 10, of the league would be all but 3 teams. You sure I proved your point? And LOL @ Melo being better than Dirk

Wow, so much Carmelo Anthony hate. I wasn't even a huge Melo guy before he became a Knick, but even I know, and I thought it was understood, that he's the best clutch shooter in the league. 13 for 27 on game winning shots. That is truly incredible.

Melo's defense clearly needs to improve, but for those who think he's "one dimensional".....maybe you aren't just paying attention.

Out of 34 Small Forwards that qualified last year (we'll use per 48 to make comparisons fair):

Scoring Per 48 Minutes:
    Melo 34.4 PPG (1st)
    KD 34.1 PPG (2nd)

Rebounds per 48 Minutes:
    Melo 9.8 RPG (3rd)
    KD 8.4 RPG (10th)

Assists per 48 Minutes:
    Melo 3.9 APG (6th)
    KD 3.4 APG (15th)

So not only is Carmelo an elite scorer, he's also an elite rebounder for his position, and way above average assists for his postion, beating KD in the three most important statistical categories.

I'll concede that KD is better defensively, and maybe somewhat more efficient, but this "Melo is so overrated" and "KD is clearly better" thing is getting silly.
    Last edited by bagelred; 07-28-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

Give me Melo any day. More versatility to his offensive game, and actually averages assists unlike durant.

ESPN doesn't know what they are talking about.

This doesn't prove anything.

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Melo is probably the best scorer in the league... Can't hate...

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    Umm, since "clutch" is a mystical fairytale used to create the ever-important "hero" in sports.

Kobe Bryant statistically is not clutch. Michael Jordan missed way more "clutch" shots than he made. Robert Horry hit a ton of clutch shots. Did he have a clutch gene? No. The coin just landed on the good side more often than not. Sometimes you get heads 5 times in a row. That's not clutch coin flipping. It's random chance. Is Derek Fisher born with clutch in his veins? No. He is the beneficiary of his shot happening to fall at fortuitous moments.

This is flat out ridiculous. Being clutch means being able to physically perform tasks i.e hitting a shot, making a freethrow or whatever when there is an immense amount of pressure on. Fisher might hit 8 out of 10 3 pointers in practice with no defender running at him, no screaming crowd, no clock ticking down, and for him to be able to shoot the exact same shot by putting those things out of his mind and focusing purely on the mechanics of the shot... THAT'S what being clutch is.

To compare it to flipping a coin is stupid. You have control of how a shot leaves your hand, you have no control over how a coin will land. You must be trolling.

Magic Johnson

I'd agree with ESPN if Anthony got any press for being in the same tier as LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Howard, etc... but he doesn't. He's one of the most disrespected superstars in the game and to the average fan he's a nobody. Anthony's the guy who peaked in high school (popularity wise) and disappeared once he came to the big league (college).

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Wow, so much Carmelo Anthony hate. I wasn't even a huge Melo guy before he became a Knick, but even I know, and I thought it was understood, that he's the best clutch shooter in the league. 13 for 27 on game winning shots. That is truly incredible.

Melo's defense clearly needs to improve, but for those who think he's "one dimensional".....maybe you aren't just paying attention.

Out of 34 Small Forwards that qualified last year (we'll use per 48 to make comparisons fair):

Scoring Per 48 Minutes:
    Melo 34.4 PPG (1st)
    KD 34.1 PPG (2nd)

Rebounds per 48 Minutes:
    Melo 9.8 RPG (3rd)
    KD 8.4 RPG (10th)

Assists per 48 Minutes:
    Melo 3.9 APG (6th)
    KD 3.4 APG (15th)

So not only is Carmelo an elite scorer, he's also an elite rebounder for his position, and way above average assists for his postion, beating KD in the three most important statistical categories.

I'll concede that KD is better defensively, and maybe somewhat more efficient, but this "Melo is so overrated" and "KD is clearly better" thing is getting silly.

Kobe per 36 last year
    26.9/5.6/5.0

Wade per 36 last year
    24.7/6.2/4.8

You really believe Kobe was better than Wade last season? Exactly

I think Durant is better than Melo... but Melo isn't the most overrated player in the league. In fact, I think he actually gets underrated slightly, as ESPN analysts and others always refer to him as one-dimensional, when he's actually a pretty solid defender as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Anthony's the guy who peaked in high school (popularity wise) and disappeared once he came to the big league (college).

Melo led Syracuse to an NCAA Championship as a freshman.

3-time NBA All-Star

And? Do you think Dirk is a better player than LeBron/Wade? Whom he just beat head to head in the Finals?

I guess you would build a team around Dirk rather than both Wade/James.

Forget the other 78 games a year, the 4 they play head to head means everything. Forget sample size & variance
    then i guess you got exposed how an idiot you are with this statement.

3-time NBA All-Star

It's not only at the position. It's who is the most overrated player who happens to play SF.

Anthony is put in the top 5-7 players in the league by several, and in the same echelon as Durant. He is simply not that good. He is a volume scorer on average efficiency. A great rebounder for his opposition who is average-below average at everything else.

He gets overrated, like Iverson, due to his flashy play when the output doesn't match the hype. Just like how Mike Vick got overrated in Atlanta. He was very average in terms of QB's but everyone loved him because of his flashy play.
    i guess idiots really dont have reading comprehension. LOL

3-time NBA All-Star

i rank players based on unstoppability and melo is number 1 among the perimeter players followed by kobe due to his age and durant. until durant knew how to score on iso situations which is the most difficult to score that requires alot of skills then thats the time ill rank him over melo but now. he is just like amare in a small forwards body that needs a pg to be effective. when melo had andre miller, hes shooting better FG% at that time although the FT% is low yet which explains the low TS%.

and LOL at people thinking durant will still improve when melo in his 4th yr has posted better stats and could have been much better if not for iverson joining.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    i rank players based on unstoppability and melo is number 1 among the perimeter players followed by kobe due to his age and durant. until durant knew how to score on iso situations which is the most difficult to score that requires alot of skills then thats the time ill rank him over melo but now. he is just like amare in a small forwards body that needs a pg to be effective. when melo had andre miller, hes shooting better FG% at that time although the FT% is low yet which explains the low TS%.

and LOL at people thinking durant will still improve when melo in his 4th yr has posted better stats and could have been much better if not for iverson joining.
    Melo is more unstoppable yet Durant puts up much better numbers vs tougher defenses & has better playoff numbers. Ya ok brah.

BTW Durant's 3rd year shits on Melo's 4th year statistically and Melo was taking more shots