Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why Do People Put MJ ahead of Wilt

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    6 Finals MVPs and 6 championships > 2 Championships

33ppg on 49% shooting and 29 PER > 22ppg 52% shooting and 23 PER

Significantly a better playoff performer.

Oh, and Wilt's W/L against Russell in the playoffs 1-7

Try again.
    didn't know they were playing 1 on 1.

Nah, MJ was easily more skilled. Not even close really.
    skills is the word. As a big, I'll take a truly dominate one over any guard.

Quote Originally Posted by colts19
    It is never just one person, thats what you Jordan fans can see in everyone else, but you never see it with Jordan. As far as the rebound disscussion, I don't really care but when your the one that tried to make it look like they were really close Jordan 6 to 7 Bird 7 to 9. Then when I point out the real numbers you start bringing in pace and bird was a power forward and all this other stuff to move the line.

To all Jordan fans, I'm sorry that i don't think Jordan was the Perfect player, I only think he was darn close to the Perfect player. Now if all of you would quit trying to tear down all the Great players that came before him, I would really be happy. Russell - 11 Rings, Wilt - check the record book, Magic and Bird saved the league. Big O set the standard for all around play. Give them their due.
    I think you need to check some of my recent posts. I've always maintained that jordan, while being the GOAT in my opinion, has never won on his own. And for this I've been called all kinds of very unfriendly things. So were honestly in agreement.

The rebounds numbers I posted are the real. I just take into consideration their different roles and what was going on in the league. Something that cold hard numbers never really show. I really could take any stat and shew it in my favor. Its why I try to not read too much into them.

And unfortunately for all those other players, jordan is just about as perfect a basketball player as there can be. He's all those players role into one. And that's what makes him the greatest ever.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    It's a team sport. It's a more realistic way of measuring two players than stats. Both players were trying to lead their team to victory as their unquestioned best player, only Wilt was trying to win the statistical battle.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Jordan was a better scorer and a marginally better passer in the post-season. Chamberlain was more efficient, a FAR greater rebounder, and, as great a defender as MJ was, he was not the defensive presence that Wilt was. And even MJ's scoring edge has to be put in perspective. Chamberlain only played 52 games, out of his 160, in his "scoring" years. He was a 33 ppg scorer in those games. Not only that, but Wilt faced a HOF center in about two-thirds of his 160 post-season games, AND, was outgunned by HOFers in all but one post-season.
    Wrong. Jordan was definitely the better scorer and easily the better passer in the postseason. 33ppg >>> 22 ppg on better efficiency/more volume. 6 assists while facilitating/running the offense >>> 4 assists catching the ball in the post and "finding teammates". So to recap, Jordan was not only the better scorer (when taking into account playoff-ball), but he was also the better playmaker. Jordan played the passing lanes better, had better footwork (and skill as both a defender and offensive player), additionally, MJ was by far more clutch. Wilt had more impact on the defensive end, I'll give you that. He was a better rebounder too. However, Jordan's impact was greater and once again, he significantly outplayed Wilt in the postseason.

was a marginally better passer
    Already exposed this.

But even in passing, how many times did MJ finish third in assists?
    Irrelevant. All that matters is that Jordan was the better passer both in the regular and postseason. Considerably as well.

Take away MJ's seasons when the NBA moved in the 3pt line, and he was a career .288 shooter from the arc.
    Again, Irrelevant. MJ was still a better 3PT shooter than Wilt, who could barely draw iron from the FT line.

MJ won more scoring crowns, to be sure, but he was never the overwhelming scorer that Wilt was. Even using "pace" MJ was not close.
    Wrong. Oldschoolbball just debunked this.

Wilt AVERAGED nearly 40 ppg over the course of his first seven seasons...COMBINED. And virtually everyone who followed the sport at the time would acknowledge that Wilt could have continued to have been the top scorer in the NBA thru the rest of the decade of the 60's. Rick Barry, himself, who won the scoring title in '67, at 35.6 ppg, claimed that he (Barry) won it, only because Wilt didn't want it. Wilt's scoring dropped dramatically from '66, at 33.5 ppg, to 24.1 ppg in '67, BUT, he shot an unworldly .683 from the floor, and as in EVERY season in the 60's, Wilt had the HIGH game of 58 points (on his usual unbelieveable shooting of 26-34.) ng form, and Wilt only averaged 13.9 ppg in the post-season.

Jordan won ten scoring titles to Wilt's seven. Both could probably have won more. In any case, MJ was not nearly as dominant as a PRIME Wilt was. Wilt holds a 1-0 edge in 100 point games. A 6-0 edge in 70+ point games. A 32-5 edge in 60+ point games. A 118-39 margin in 50+ point games. And a 271-173 edge in 40 point games.
    I've already destroyed this scoring argument. We discussed this not too long ago, Lauber. Gonna re-post (what you do all the time) some of the stats that clear any confusion.

ALL-TIME SCORING RECORDS:
    1st Place: MJ, 24 scoring records
    2nd Place: Wilt, 18 scoring records
    3rd Place: Moot

- Highest career scoring average: MJ 30.12
    - Highest career playoff scoring average: MJ 33.4
    - Highest career Finals scoring average: MJ 33.6 (min. 15 games)
    - Highest single season scoring average: Wilt 50.4
    - Highest single season playoff average: MJ 43.7
    - Highest single Finals series average: MJ 41.0
    - Most Total Points Season: Wilt 4029
    - Most Total Points Playoffs: MJ 5987
    - Most seasons leading league in scoring: MJ 10
    - Most seasons leading league in total points: MJ 11
    - Most consecutive seasons leading in scoring: MJ, Wilt tied at 7
    - Most 60 point games: Wilt 32
    - Most 50 point games: Wilt 118
    - Most 50 point games playoffs: MJ 8
    - Most 40 point games: Wilt 271
    - Most 40 point games playoffs: MJ 38
    - Most 30 point games: MJ 563
    - Most 30 point games playoffs: MJ 109
    - Most consecutive 60 point games: Wilt 4
    - Most consecutive 50 point games: Wilt 7
    - Most consecutive 50 point games playoffs: MJ 2
    - Most consecutive 45 point games: Wilt 7
    - Most consecutive 45 point games playoffs: MJ 3
    - Most consecutive 40 point games: Wilt 14
    - Most consecutive 40 point games finals: MJ 4
    - Most consecutive 35 point games: Wilt 33
    - Most consecutive 30 point games: Wilt 65
    - Most consecutive 30 point games finals: MJ 9
    - Most consecutive 20 point games: Wilt 126
    - Most consecutive 20 point games playoffs: MJ 60
    - Most consecutive 20 point games finals: MJ 35
    - Most consecutive double figures scoring: MJ 866
    - Highest scoring game: Wilt 100
    - Highest scoring game playoffs: MJ 63
    - Highest scoring game rookie: Wilt 58
    - Highest scoring all-star game: Wilt 42
    - Most points in 3 quarters: Wilt 69
    - Most points in one half: Wilt 59
    - Most points in one half finals: MJ 35
    - Oldest to score 50: MJ 51 at age 38
    - Oldest to score 40: MJ 43 at age 40

And that's that. Done deal. MJ prime vs prime destroys Wilt in the postseason. To say otherwise just isn't sane.

How about the post-season?
    Where MJ's player efficiency rating/production destroys Wilt's?

How many FG% titles did MJ win? Chamberlain won NINE.
    I would expect a 7 footer (Wilt at the time was more athletic than just about everyone in the league) to maintain a higher FG% considering most of their offense comes from right underneath the basket. How many scoring crowns does Chamberlain have? Oh, that's right, you've already admitted Jordan has Wilt beat.

So, NO, Jordan was NOT a better "all-around" player than Chamberlain. And his post-season career was NOT "significantly" better in the post-season.
    Wrong yet again. Jordan was the better all-around player. Offense (playmaking, scoring, and other intangibles such as footwork, working without the ball, catch-and-shoot, range, etc), clutch (both on offense and defense), leadership (another intangible), etc. Jordan was simply a better offensive player. Wilt on the other-hand has Jordan beat on the defensive end (rebounding, blocking shots, man-to-man D, etc). The tiebreaker, however is in the postseason, where MJ did most of his damage and Wilt... well "wilted" in comparison.
    Last edited by catch24; 08-14-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Try and keep up here. No one is saying they played 1 on 1. Read the post I quoted.

skills is the word. As a big, I'll take a truly dominate one over any guard.
    Wait, didn't you just get done saying, " I wouldn't say Jordan skill wise was better"?

You'd have to be a fool taking Wilt over Jordan who has the best combination of stats, accomplishments, honors, mvps, finals mvps, records, playoff performances, clutch performances, and rings of any player to ever play.

Jordan never faced the competition Wilt faced? lol, you can't be serious. That's like me saying Wilt only dominated in an era of relative short men. In the many seasons Wilt played, there were only 3-5 players over 6'9" in the entire league. Wilt dominated as the largest player in the game over relative midgets. Jordan dominated as an average sized player. Jordan also stepped up his game in the playoffs while Wilt "wilted". The competition Jordan faced wasn't worse simply because you're calling it "not as good". The competition MJ faced was just as good (relatively), if not more (considering the vast amount of better athletes/evolution). You as always, bring ZERO evidence.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Completely false:

Jordan is easily the best scorer ever in both the regular and postseasons when adjusted for pace. Taken from:

http://www.backpicks.com/2011/01/28/...n-nba-history/

Some info on Wilt and other older players:
    I SHREDDED this RIDICULOUS stat a long time ago.

The "pace" in Chamberlain's era was nowhere near what these stats would show. Points per 75 possessions? Who came up with that NONSENSE? So, if a Wilt playing 48 minutes, gets punished, even though he CLEARLY could do it, while a Jordan could never exceed 40, and proved he couldn't do it. Furthermore, it appears to me that Jordan SLOWED down his offense, while Wilt ACCELERATED his.

But let's use REAL math here instead. We'll compare Wilt's '62 season with MJ's '87 season. Chamberlain's '62 NBA averaged 108 FGAs per game, Jordan's '87 averaged 89. Wilt's '62 NBA averaged 37 FTAs per game, MJ's '87 averaged 30. Now, we also have to add one other stat here, as well. Wilt's '62 NBA shot .426, MJ's '87 NBA shot .480.

Ok, here we go. Let's reduce Wilt's '62 numbers down to MJ's '87 levels. Instead of taking 39.5 FGAs per game, that he did in '62, he now takes 32.5 FGAs per game. His 17 FTAs per game in '62 drop to 13.7 in '62. Now, BEFORE adjusting the FG%, let's see what we have. Chamberlain shot .506 from the field in '62, and .613 from the line. 32.5 X .506 = 16.4 FGs per game, or 32.8 ppg. 13.7 x .613 = 8.4 FTs ppg . 32.8 + 8.4 + 41.2 PPG. So, we KNOW that Chamberlain would have averaged at LEAST 41.2 ppg in '87.

BUT, we also have to adjust for league FG%. Wilt shot .506 in a league that shot .426. Now, had he had the benefit of playing in a league that .480, his FG% would have shot up dramatically. Divide .480 by .426, and you get 1.13. Multiply .506 times 1.13, and it suddenly becomes .570. So, instead of shooting .506 in '87, Wilt is now shooting .570. Multiply his 32.5 FGAs per game in '87, times .570, and Wilt is now making 18.5 FGs per game (instead of 16.4), or 37 ppg (instead of 32.8 ppg.) Add that 37 ppg to his 8.4 FTs made, and he would be scoring 45.4 ppg, or WAY over MJ's 37.1 ppg.

Of course, there is a much easier way to look at the numbers. MJ's '87 NBA averaged 109.9 ppg, while Wilt's '62 NBA averaged 118.8 ppg. So, MJ's '87 NBA scored at 92.5% of Wilt's '62 NBA. Multiply Wilt's 50.4 times .925, and it becomes 46.6 ppg.

Now, if you want to argue that MJ took a HIGHER percentage of his team's shots, per minute played...yes, you would be right. MJ (and Kobe in '06) were bigger "gunners" than Chamberlain was on his '62 Warrior team.

60 years from now people will have to defend MJ,Bird and Magic as top 10 players.

Times change

Bricking Jumpers

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Bird's impact was definitely less than Jordan's. Jordan was not just a better "man defender," he was a significantly better defender overall. Jordan is also a significantly better scorer, far better penetrator/finisher, and an equal/better shooter inside 21 feet from age 26 onward. It's not a large gap in impact by any stretch (maybe 5%), but it's there.
    Less is fine, "far less" implies something different to me. Jordan's ability to take over games down the stretch.. games that matter, when all the cards are on the table in addition to everything he already brings to the table over the course of 48 minutes gives him the edge over virtually anybody that's ever played. However, I think they're both tier 1 all-time players. Individually, they'll improve any team significantly with marginal difference. Do you agree with that?

3-time NBA All-Star

Wrong. Jordan was definitely the better scorer and easily the better passer in the postseason. 33ppg >>> 22 ppg on better efficiency/more volume. 6 assists while facilitating/running the offense >>> 4 assists catching the ball in the post and "finding teammates". So to recap, Jordan was not only the better scorer (when taking into account playoff-ball), but he was also the better playmaker. Jordan played the passing lanes better, had better footwork (and skill as both a defender and offensive player), additionally, MJ was by far more clutch. Wilt had more impact on the defensive end, I'll give you that. He was a better rebounder too. However, Jordan's impact was greater and once again, he significantly outplayed Wilt in the postseason.

Already exposed this.

Irrelevant. All that matters is that Jordan was the better passer both in the regular and postseason. Considerably as well.

Again, Irrelevant. MJ was still a better 3PT shooter than Wilt, who could barely draw iron from the FT line.

Wrong. Oldschoolbball just debunked this.

I've already destroyed this scoring argument. We discussed this not too long ago, Lauber. Gonna re-post (what you do all the time) some of the stats that clear any confusion.

ALL-TIME SCORING RECORDS:
    1st Place: MJ, 24 scoring records
    2nd Place: Wilt, 18 scoring records
    3rd Place: Moot

- Highest career scoring average: MJ 30.12
    - Highest career playoff scoring average: MJ 33.4
    - Highest career Finals scoring average: MJ 33.6 (min. 15 games)
    - Highest single season scoring average: Wilt 50.4
    - Highest single season playoff average: MJ 43.7
    - Highest single Finals series average: MJ 41.0
    - Most Total Points Season: Wilt 4029
    - Most Total Points Playoffs: MJ 5987
    - Most seasons leading league in scoring: MJ 10
    - Most seasons leading league in total points: MJ 11
    - Most consecutive seasons leading in scoring: MJ, Wilt tied at 7
    - Most 60 point games: Wilt 32
    - Most 50 point games: Wilt 118
    - Most 50 point games playoffs: MJ 8
    - Most 40 point games: Wilt 271
    - Most 40 point games playoffs: MJ 38
    - Most 30 point games: MJ 563
    - Most 30 point games playoffs: MJ 109
    - Most consecutive 60 point games: Wilt 4
    - Most consecutive 50 point games: Wilt 7
    - Most consecutive 50 point games playoffs: MJ 2
    - Most consecutive 45 point games: Wilt 7
    - Most consecutive 45 point games playoffs: MJ 3
    - Most consecutive 40 point games: Wilt 14
    - Most consecutive 40 point games finals: MJ 4
    - Most consecutive 35 point games: Wilt 33
    - Most consecutive 30 point games: Wilt 65
    - Most consecutive 30 point games finals: MJ 9
    - Most consecutive 20 point games: Wilt 126
    - Most consecutive 20 point games playoffs: MJ 60
    - Most consecutive 20 point games finals: MJ 35
    - Most consecutive double figures scoring: MJ 866
    - Highest scoring game: Wilt 100
    - Highest scoring game playoffs: MJ 63
    - Highest scoring game rookie: Wilt 58
    - Highest scoring all-star game: Wilt 42
    - Most points in 3 quarters: Wilt 69
    - Most points in one half: Wilt 59
    - Most points in one half finals: MJ 35
    - Oldest to score 50: MJ 51 at age 38
    - Oldest to score 40: MJ 43 at age 40

And that's that. Done deal. MJ prime vs prime destroys Wilt in the postseason. To say otherwise just isn't sane.

Where MJ's player efficiency rating/production destroys Wilt's?

I would expect a 7 footer (Wilt at the time was more athletic than just about everyone in the league) to maintain a higher FG% considering most of their offense comes from right underneath the basket. How many scoring crowns does Chamberlain have? Oh, that's right, you've already admitted Jordan has Wilt beat.

Wrong yet again. Jordan was the better all-around player. Offense (playmaking, scoring, and other intangibles such as footwork, working without the ball, catch-and-shoot, range, etc), clutch (both on offense and defense), leadership (another intangible), etc. Jordan was simply a better offensive player. Wilt on the other-hand has Jordan beat on the defensive end (rebounding, blocking shots, man-to-man D, etc). The tiebreaker, however is in the postseason, where MJ did most of his damage and Wilt... well "wilted" in comparison.
    Once again, I already stated that MJ was a better scorer in the post-season. Chamberlain was also facing a HOF center in two-thirds of his 160 post-season games (49 against Russell alone, or about one-third!) And Wilt's teams also were outgunned by HOFers in EVERY post-season, but one. Furthermore, and as I alluded to earlier, Chamberlain only played 52 of his 160 post-season games in his "scoring" seasons. BTW, while Jordan's '86 Bulls could make the playoffs with a 30-52 record (which allowed MJ to average 43.7 ppg in his three playoff games), Wilt's 31-49 Warriors did not...in a season in which Wilt averaged 44.8 ppg on .528 shooting.

We do know that a prime "scoring" Wilt averaged 33 ppg, 27 rpg, and shot .510 (in leagues that shot between .410 to .441.) in his first six post-seasons, covering his first seven seasons (and once again, he wasn't able to play in the post-season in a year in which he averaged 44.8 ppg.) We also know that Chamberlain, in his first nine years, covering eight post-seasons, averaged 29.3 ppg, 26.6 rpg, 4.8 apg, and shot .518 (in leagues that shot between .410 to .446.)

So, while MJ was a better scorer in the POST-SEASON, it was not dramatically higher than a "scoring" Wilt. FURTHERMORE, MJ shot .487 in his post-season career, while Wilt shot .522. BUT, MJ played in leagues that shot between .450 to as high as .492, and on average was about .470...while Wilt played in leagues that shot between .410 to .456, and averaged about .440. Wilt was shooting a significantly higher FG% against his peers than what MJ was against his. And, we KNOW that Wilt came into the league with a decent OUTSIDE game, which, while allowing him to get more shots, also reduced his FG% somewhat.

So, MJ was a better scorer in the post-season. No question. How about the regular season? Chamberlain was LIGHT YEARS ahead of MJ. Yes, MJ holds a 30.12 to 30.07 career edge, BUT, a "scoring" Chamberlain, which only occurred in HALF of Wilt's career (although, as I pointed out, Wilt COULD have scored MUCH more from '67 thru '69.) Only a complete idiot would claim that Chamberlain could not have scored 30 ppg in those three seasons (in fact, he averaged 24.1 ppg on .683 shooting in '67...which I have maintained, that, had Wilt been so inclined, he COULD have scored 40 ppg!) We also KNOW that in Chamberlain's 69-70 season, he was leading the league at 32.2 ppg when he went down with his devastating knee injury in the ninth game (in a game in which he had scored 33 points on 13-13 shooting.)

Continued...
    Last edited by jlauber; 08-14-2011 at 05:07 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Continuing...

Once again, in terms of FG%, Wilt was SIGNIFUCANTLY more efficient. And, BTW, find me even ONE Finals in which Chamberlain shot .455, or .427, or god forbid, .415, as MJ had.

Yes, MJ was a better FT shooter, but here again, in terms of FTs MADE, it was not dramatic. MJ averaged 6.8 MADE per game, in his career, while Wilt was at 5.8. And Jordan is one of the few, in NBA history, that can make that claim. In fact, Wilt MADE more FT's, in his '61-62 season, 835, than MJ did in ANY of his seasons.

Passing? MJ handled the ball considerably more than Chamberlain, and yet, his career APG was 5.3 to Wilt's 4.4. And, once again, Wilt not only LED the NBA one season, he finished THIRD in another. Even in the post-season the difference was not dramatic. MJ at 5.7 apg to Wilt's 4.2. FURTHERMORE, assists were HARDER to come by in Chamberlain's era. For example, in Wilt's '68 season, in which he averaged 8.6 apg, the league averaged 1873 per team. In MJ's best season, he averaged 8.0 apg in a league that averaged 2097 per team.

How about rebounding? Jordan was a good rebounder for a guard, with a career average of 6.2 rpg. Chamberlain was the game's greatest rebounder, and was even GREATER in his post-season play. No matter what math you use, Wilt was a FAR greater force on the glass. He was DOMINATING even players like Russell, Thurmond, and Kareem on the glass.

Defense? Wilt was not holding his opposing centers to some 100 points under their normal FG%'s, he was completely shutting down the lane in the process. AND, he was blocking some 8+ shots per game, as well. MJ had 893 CAREER blocks. If we are to believe Harvey Pollack, Chamberlain may very well have had SEASONS with that many (Pollack claimed that Wilt had seasons of double-digit blocks.)

Clutch play? Yes, MJ had many great post-season games ...but so did Chamberlain. In fact, Wilt had very few poor games. Chamberlain AVERAGED 24.5 rpg in his 160 post-season games, and outrebounded his opposing center in the VAST majority of them. And, I have often wondered if he ever had ANY post-season games of less than 10 rebounds. He probably only had a small percentage in which he didn't get 15 rebounds.

Elimination games? Chamberlain, who supposedly "wilted" in the post-season (YOUR comments BTW)...hmmm...how about a 50-35 game (against Russell)? A 56-35 game (in game five of a best-of-five series.) A 30-27 game. A 30-32 80% game. A 46-34 game. A 29-36-13-7 .63% game. A 14-34 game. An 18-27 .88% game. A 45-27, 74% game. A 21-24, 63% game. A 22-24, 67% game. A 24-29-9 .71% game. And in his LAST game, a 23-21, .63% game. And there were many 20-20, 30-30 games, and even several 40-30 games in between. My god, he had FOUR 40-30 games just against Russell in the post-season.

Jordan won more titles...on the most STACKED teams in the league, and with WATERED DOWN competition. How good were those teams? They went 55-27 WITHOUT him (and only replaced by a 11 ppg Kukoc and a Pete Meyers), losing a close game seven to the Knicks, who then lost a close game seven to the eventual champion Rockets. THEN, they ADDED Dennis Rodman in their next three-peat.

Chamberlain faced the greatest dynasty in major professional team sports history in TEN of his 14 seasons (and even CRUSHED them once.) Those Celtic teams had between FIVE and NINE HOFers EVERY season. Wilt also faced the HOF-laden Knicks FOUR times (with between FOUR to SIX HOFers.) And he battled the Kareem-Oscar team TWICE in the post-season (losing to them one post-season without BOTH West and Baylor, and beating them in six games the following season.)

Jordan never faced the competition Wilt faced? lol, you can't be serious. That's like me saying Wilt only dominated in an era of relative short men. In the many seasons Wilt played, there were only 3-5 players over 6'9" in the entire league. Wilt dominated as the largest player in the game over relative midgets. Jordan dominated as an average sized player. Jordan also stepped up his game in the playoffs while Wilt "wilted". The competition Jordan faced wasn't worse simply because you're calling it "not as good". The competition MJ faced was just as good (relatively), if not more (considering the vast amount of better athletes/evolution). You as always, bring ZERO evidence.
    The AVERAGE center in the early 60's was 6-10, and by the 70's, it was 6-11. AND, those centers were mostly measured bare-foot. You could add an inch to probably everyone of them using TODAY's measuring. And, BTW, who was the game's best rebounder in the MJ era? 6-8 Rodman. Hell, the best rebounding guard was 6-3 175 lb. Fat Lever. 7-3+ centers in the MJ era could barely get 6 rpg.

And I already TRASHED the NONSENSE that Chamberlain "wilted" in his post-season play. He took PUTRID rosters much further than MJ did in his early seasons. MJ went 1-9 in his first ten post-season games. It wasn't until Pippen arrived that he won a playoff series. Meanwhile, Chamberlain was taking a LAST-PLACE roster to a the ECF's Finals his very first season, and a 4-2 series loss against a Celtic team with SEVEN HOFers. Two years later he took that same crap roster to a game seven, two-point loss, against the 60-20 Celtics, and their SEVEN HOFers. Then, in the 64-65 season, Chamberlain took a 40-40 team to a game seven, one-point loss against the 62-18 Celtics, at the zenith of their dynasty.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    So, we KNOW that Chamberlain would have averaged at LEAST 41.2 ppg in '87.
    Not that any of these adjustments prove conclusively what Wilt would have or wouldn't have done in 1987, but.

Wilt's Warriors attempted 8929 FGA over an 80 game season in 1962, Wilt's 3159 accounted for 35.38% of their attempts. Jordan's 1987 Bulls attempted 7155 over an 82 game season, so over an 82 game season on Jordan's 1987 Bulls, that'd be equal to 2531 FGA or 30.9 FGA

Wilt attempted a free throw for every 2.32 field goals so he ends up with roughly 1092 free throw attempts or 13.3 FTA.

Shooting 50.6% from the field and 61.3% for the line that equals 3229 points or 39.4 ppg.

But that's while averaging 48.5 mpg. Jordan led the league with 3281 total minutes in 1987, give Wilt the same points per minute and 40 mpg like Jordan and he ends up with 2663 points or 32.5 ppg.

And yes, you do have to look at minutes. I know how much you like using analogies from other sports, and think about how many more innings starters pitched in baseball years ago for example, now look at stars regularly playing 44 or so mpg in 1962. Even as late as 1973, Tiny Archibald average 46 mpg.

Now this is also before taking into account the lane widening which would likely affect Wilt's FGA, the free throw rule changes(no 3 to make 2s, 2 to make 1s) and the average player improving over the years.

Or that there are easier points to be scored when you're on the court even at the end for EVERY minute of 40, even 50 point blowouts, like Wilt was.

So at best, I view Wilt's 1962 season as the 1987 32-33 ppg equivalent to Jordan's 37.

Though I don't think Wilt would have actually averaged as many as 32-33 ppg in 1987 given his skill set.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 08-14-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Cuz Jordan is clearly better than a poor man's Javale McGee

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by TAC602
    Less is fine, "far less" implies something different to me. Jordan's ability to take over games down the stretch.. games that matter, when all the cards are on the table in addition to everything he already brings to the table over the course of 48 minutes gives him the edge over virtually anybody that's ever played. However, I think they're both tier 1 all-time players. Individually, they'll improve any team significantly with marginal difference. Do you agree with that?
    Yes, I do. The difference is marginal, but clear imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Not that any of these adjustments prove conclusively what Wilt would have or wouldn't have done in 1987, but.

Wilt's Warriors attempted 8929 FGA over an 80 game season in 1962, Wilt's 3159 accounted for 35.38% of their attempts. Jordan's 1987 Bulls attempted 7155 over an 82 game season, so over an 82 game season on Jordan's 1987 Bulls, that'd be equal to 2531 FGA or 30.9 FGA

Wilt attempted a free throw for every 2.32 field goals so he ends up with roughly 1092 free throw attempts or 13.3 FTA.

Shooting 50.6% from the field and 61.3% for the line that equals 3229 points or 39.4 ppg.

But that's while averaging 48.5 mpg. Jordan led the league with 3281 total minutes in 1987, give Wilt the same points per minute and 40 mpg like Jordan and he ends up with 2663 points or 32.5 ppg.

And yes, you do have to look at minutes. I know how much you like using analogies from other sports, and think about how many more innings starters pitched in baseball years ago for example, now look at stars regularly playing 44 or so mpg in 1962. Even as late as 1973, Tiny Archibald average 46 mpg.

Now this is also before taking into account the lane widening which would likely affect Wilt's FGA, the free throw rule changes(no 3 to make 2s, 2 to make 1s) and the average player improving over the years.

Or that there are easier points to be scored when you're on the court even at the end for EVERY minute of 40, even 50 game blowouts, like Wilt was.

So at best, I view Wilt's 1962 season as the 1987 32-33 ppg equivalent to Jordan's 37.

Though I don't think Wilt would have actually averaged as many as 32-33 ppg in 1987 given his skill set.
    Great post shaq. And to add to this. Wilt took almost 1800 shots that year he avg 50ppg. The next closets guy took about half that many shots. Since were trying to adjust over eras, is wilt still gonna be able to take damn near twice as many shots as the next closest pplayer? Cuz if were making everything relative and taking into consideration what wil did vs the players he played against and the league, we must extrapolate everything. Wilts FG attempt must alomst double the number 2 guy in the league for 87 which would be about 4000 shots. That ain't gonna happen.

Wilt was ahead of his time. But he did get by on being the most dominant player in the league. Someone posted a few clips of wilt in a game and to be honest, I've seen 8th grade players with more fundamentals. But how he played in the 60s and how the game is played now has evolved so much.