Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Does Blake Griffin have Potential to be GOAT?

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    if you RE-READ my post.....you'll erase your post .

I said that Blake doesn't have the basketball skills now to be goat PF,nor the inclination/situation to improve.

Fact that a super athletic(technically) rookie PF can score that many points and grab those kinds of boards on bad team doesn't mean as much as what you think it means.
    I didn't ask if he was GOAT now. I asked if he has the potential to be GOAT. Skills will develop over time

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Blake may have been the best rookie of all time. To say that he doesn't have a chance to be the GOAT PF is stupid. I personally don't see it because knees don't get better as you age, which to me means he may suffer another injury, but the potential is definately there. One thing I can say with some certainty is that he will be the best PF in the NBA in a couple of years.

Bellamy rookie stats
    31/19

Wilt rookie stats
    37/27

Banned

we dont count weak eras. and gtfo of my successful thread.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by purplch0de
    I didn't ask if he was GOAT now. I asked if he has the potential to be GOAT. Skills will develop over time

I don't see the foundation of an alltime great power forward in BG.Nor did I see it in the guy that BG is usually compared to..shawn Kemp.

I see a super athlete who can destroy 90% of the league right just based on his athleticism.

By contrast, I saw the makings of elite level power forwards when I saw Derrck Coleman as a rook...and Chris Webber...

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

He has the potential to be the GOAT PF of all time..but I don't think overall. He should be in the top 5 at least after his career if injury free. Nowadays PF's play more like SF's. 7 foot jump shooters that don't like to do the dirty work inside. It's a breath of fresh air to see Blake who plays like a classic power forward with added handles, passing ability, and etc. The power forward position is probably the least glamorous of all the positions.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I don't see the foundation of an alltime great power forward in BG.Nor did I see it in the guy that BG is usually compared to..shawn Kemp.

I see a super athlete who can destroy 90% of the league right just based on his athleticism.

By contrast, I saw the makings of elite level power forwards when I saw Derrck Coleman as a rook...and Chris Webber...
    I don't know if you watched a lot of Clipper games, but Blake is not just a dunker. Big misconception thanks to espn and their highlights. Blake will just get better. He improved ALOT during his rookie year. He added post moves and improved footwork by seasons end. His jump shot was not consistent, but it will get there. He has a great second jump..reason why he is so good on the offensive boards. High basketball I.Q. and not selfish. Blake is already better than Kemp. I see him more like having the body of K.Malone and the athletic ability of Kemp..or a bigger Barkley.
    Unlike Coleman and Webber..Griffin has an incredible work ethic and will just get much better.

National High School Star Abd El-Krim's Avatar

Blake is an athletic freak with an incredible work ethic. You don't usually see those two put together. Definitely a shot at goat PF, but no matter what he does it's going to be hard to eclipse guys like Jordan, Wilt, etc. Especially since he's glued to the Clippers for the next few years.

Hell, if he goes 26/13 for the next 8 years and wins 3 rings he's still not there in a lot of eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Bellamy rookie stats
    31/19

Wilt rookie stats
    37/27
    I don't count 40 years ago. Hell players from 30 years ago are vastly over rated to, and that is considered the modern NBA. Wilt was a monster because he was bigger, faster and stronger than everyone else he was playing with. People are saying that BG is just an athlete, well so is Wilt.

IN PAT RILEY WE TRUST Theoo's Daddy's Avatar

if you RE-READ my post.....you'll erase your post .

I said that Blake doesn't have the basketball skills now to be goat PF,nor the inclination/situation to improve.

Fact that a super athletic(technically) rookie PF can score that many points and grab those kinds of boards on bad team doesn't mean as much as what you think it means.

His arguement is weak, Also Barkley/duncan/Garnet were not 1st options in their teams..

Blake may have been the best rookie of all time. To say that he doesn't have a chance to be the GOAT PF is stupid. I personally don't see it because knees don't get better as you age, which to me means he may suffer another injury, but the potential is definately there. One thing I can say with some certainty is that he will be the best PF in the NBA in a couple of years.
    Totally disagree with that statement. Don't think it's a fair comparison to true rookies - traveling with the team, sitting on the bench watching games, learning plays, getting used to the travel/grind, adjusting to the NBA for a whole year - I'm sure he learned a lot even though he didn't actually play.

I don't count 40 years ago. Hell players from 30 years ago are vastly over rated to, and that is considered the modern NBA. Wilt was a monster because he was bigger, faster and stronger than everyone else he was playing with. People are saying that BG is just an athlete, well so is Wilt.
    Bellamy looks pretty big next to Wilt in that picture?

If he wins more than 4 rings with this Clippers team, you can throw him in the Top 10.

GOAT time requires more. Individual accomplishments... I'm looking at MVPs and FMVPs, a DPOY (or 5) would be good too, and and making multiple 1st team All-NBA Selections and/or 1st team All-NBA Defense lists too. Off the top of my head.

The talent and work ethic is there, but it's a long way to the summit for Griffin.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

If he leads the Clippers to 2 or more rings as undisputed man on team with MVP stats he immediately is in the top 5 GOAT discussion assuming he has some longevity. Too many peole are speculating if he will be the GOAT rather than OP's question of potential. Yes his potential is insanely high. How many other players averaged 22.5, 12 and 4 as rookies getting by on raw ability? None.

Last rookie to average his numbers? Kareem 41 years ago! Think about that for a sec. Kareem was the greatest college player ever and insanely skilled. It took Mailman 3 seasons to match Blake's rookie numbers. Think about this logically.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 08-21-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    If he leads the Clippers to 2 or more rings as undisputed man on team with MVP stats he immediately is in the top 5 GOAT discussion assuming he has some longevity. Too many peole are speculating if he will be the GOAT rather than OP's question of potential. Yes his potential is insanely high. How many other players averaged 22.5, 12 and 4 as rookies getting by on raw ability? None.

Last rookie to average his numbers? Kareem 41 years ago! Think about that for a sec. Kareem was the greatest college player ever and insanely skilled. It took Mailman 3 seasons to match Blake's rookie numbers. Think about this logically.
    Mailman wasn't the number one pick, he was 14th.

Michael Jordan of ISH

Barkley first season 58-24, lost in ECF
    Malone first season 42-40, lost in first round
    Duncan first season 56-26, lost in 2nd round
    Hayes first season, lost in 1st round
    Blake Griffin, lottery

These were the great PF's that came into the league NBA ready. Blake Griffin fit this mold, yet he only improved his team by 3 wins.