Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: How come Kareem isn't GOAT?

He is.

College superstar

3-time NBA All-Star

Kareem has a case. As do Russell, Magic, Wilt, and of course, MJ.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Kareem has a case. As do Russell, Magic, Wilt, and of course, MJ.
    Wilt didn't win enough and when he won the 2nd time he didn't dominate like som of these other GOAT-candidates.

Kareem wasn't even the best player on his team.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Wilt didn't win enough and when he won the 2nd time he didn't dominate like som of these other GOAT-candidates.
    Wilt>>>Russell

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    So being on championship teams makes you go up 114 spots on the all time list? I suppose Robert Horry is a HOF then.
    In my opinion, both championships AND stats don't really mean a damn thing when determining how great a player is.

For example, what if MJ was playing in a game 7 and scored a shot to put his team up by 1 with 10 seconds left. If, say, Karl Malone hits a shot at the buzzer to win the series, does that make MJ a worse player?

No, that's dumb, even if he has one less championship.

Duncan isn't a worse player because Fisher hit a miracle shot. Iverson isn't a worse player because Shaq and LAL destroyed them.

Watching a player play throughout a game is really the only way, from the opening tip to pressure situations in the fourth, factoring in the plays being called, the offense being run, the tailored defensive schemes, and the players around them.

There are some great ass players that haven't achieved a damn thing in this league as far as winning, with some ridiculous skillsets. If I wanted to describe in detail what MJ could do that prime Mcgrady, Kobe, or Wade couldn't that would show obviously that he is the better player, I couldn't. The simple fact is they all have a ridiculously expansive skillset. I must reiterate after this statement, stats don't mean jack shit.

So if someone believes, and hold your breath here, that prime McGrady is the best player of all time, I don't see a problem with that (I'm not saying the person I'm quoting believes this, heh). The talent level of him and the other top wing players, including MJ, are so high and comparable that it would be like eyeballing the Sears Tower in Chicago, flying to New York, and then eyeballing the Empire State Building to determine which is the tallest.

Of course comments like that would give pretty much everyone on here a heart attack.
    Last edited by bstickq1; 09-01-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bstickq1
    In my opinion, both championships AND stats don't really mean a damn thing when determining how great a player is.

For example, what if MJ was playing in a game 7 and scored a shot to put his team up by 1 with 10 seconds left. If, say, Karl Malone hits a shot at the buzzer to win the series, does that make MJ a worse player?

No, that's dumb, even if he has one less championship.

Duncan isn't a worse player because Fisher hit a miracle shot. Iverson isn't a worse player because Shaq and LAL destroyed them.

Watching a player play throughout a game is really the only way, from the opening tip to pressure situations in the fourth, factoring in the plays being called, the offense being run, the tailored defensive schemes, and the players around them.

There are some great ass players that haven't achieved a damn thing in this league as far as winning, with some ridiculous skillsets. If I wanted to describe in detail what MJ could do that prime Mcgrady, Kobe, or Wade couldn't that would show obviously that he is the better player, I couldn't. The simple fact is they all have a ridiculously expansive skillset. I must reiterate after this statement, stats don't mean jack shit.

So if someone believes, and hold your breath here, that prime McGrady is the best player of all time, I don't see a problem with that (I'm not saying the person I'm quoting believes this, heh). The talent level of him and the other top wing players, including with MJ, are so high and comparable that it would be like eyeballing the Sears Tower in Chicago, flying to New York, and then eyeballing the Empire State Building to determine which is the tallest.

Of course comments like that would give pretty much everyone on here a heart attack.
    Excellent post.
    And while prime T-Mac wasn't the GOAT, T-Mac could have been the GOAT IMO or at least 2nd to MJ. I really believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Kareem wasn't even the best player on his team.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Spoken by someone who evidently doesn't know anything about the 1971-72 season.

Agenda-driven people are annoying. Zealots/stans and bashers both. Their agendas blind them to any semblance of objectivity.

because he was not a flashy perimeter player......

Wilt>Kareem

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Because he is not as good as Jordan.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316