Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Decent playground baller

Default 9/11 was 10 years ago. Where were you when it happened?

It's one of those where were you events, I remember I was channel surfing before going to sleep (I'm not American and I live in Asia) and then I saw in CNN, one of the twin towers engulfed with smoke and reporters saying it seemed like a plane crashed into it. Everyone thought it was an accident, maybe the pilot suffered a stroke or something, til a few minutes later, live on tv, a second plane crashes into the second tower. I remember being so surprised but not really realizing the gravity of the situation. My mom called up some of our relatives to tell them what just happened. Next day in school, everyone was talking about it, I had a classmate whose aunt worked there, her mom was crying when she saw the news, but was able to contact her aunt who left the building cos she forgot her ID. It took me a while to realize how that event changed not just the U.S. but the rest of the world as well. It's just some really heavy stuff.

It breaks my heart listening to 911 calls from people who were stuck in the building with no way out.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: Where were you when 9/11 happened?

i was just watching the news at night around 10 and it came up, it was just a sydney news station, and they had no idea what had happened. they were just reporting that something had hit the trade center. the rest of my family were asleep, so i just wrote a note and left it in the kitchen so someone could read it in the morning. i had no idea of the gravity of the situation either.

i was 17 at the time and i wasn't very worldly. i only new the twin towers from the simpsons, and i'm not sure i had even heard of islam before. how things change hey.

Local High School Star

Hey guys I wasn't even in Iceland dudes. I was coming home from school in England.

Where Abouts in Sydney you from?

I thought it happened in the morning, I woke up and went to watch cheese tv, and it wasn't on.. wasnt happy.

I thought it was a movie when I saw he plan go into the building..

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Jnr
    Where Abouts in Sydney you from?

I thought it happened in the morning, I woke up and went to watch cheese tv, and it wasn't on.. wasnt happy.

I thought it was a movie when I saw he plan go into the building..
    i'm from newcastle. but the late night news i was watching was the one with sandra sully.

it happened at 8:46am in new york, which was 10:46pm on the east coast of australia.

Decent playground baller

I kinda felt stupid after for not realizing how many people died and how it was such a traumatic experience for everyone who was there. It felt like it was just a movie or nightmare that wasn't real. It must've felt like it was the end of the world for New Yorkers, some people really thought that bombs were gonna start exploding everywhere.

i found a bit of the report i was watching. http://youtu.be/9DIvbAbJIAQ?t=2m36s

I was at lunch and I was in 5th grade. Evveryone started getting picked up by their parents and there was a lot of fear and confusion going on because the teachers werent allowing us to watch the news. The crazy thing is that I wasn't living in Pittsburgh at the time and the plane that crashed in PA actually flew directly over my middle school.

art class.

4th grade.

I remember everyone freaking the **** out and my friend got to go home cause he was on the top of WTC the day before.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    i found a bit of the report i was watching. http://youtu.be/9DIvbAbJIAQ?t=2m36s
    it's odd how different ten years was from right now. you don't really notice the change but when you look back, it's hella different.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by bballer
    art class.

4th grade.

I remember everyone freaking the **** out and my friend got to go home cause he was on the top of WTC the day before.
    oh wow. that must've changed him completely.
    you guys are young. was a senior in high school when this happened.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I was at lunch and I was in 5th grade. Evveryone started getting picked up by their parents and there was a lot of fear and confusion going on because the teachers werent allowing us to watch the news. The crazy thing is that I wasn't living in Pittsburgh at the time and the plane that crashed in PA actually flew directly over my middle school.
    that's pretty scary when you think about it.

Decent playground baller

did people think the buildings were gonna collapse? or did everyone just kinda assume that the fires would be put out and people from above the impact were gonna be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by booonkers
    it's odd how different ten years was from right now. you don't really notice the change but when you look back, it's hella different.
    i don't know, sometimes i think the change is very superficial. shit is still the same.

Blu Ray

The schools in and around Everett, MA, my hometown and where I was in school at the time were immediately evacuated because It's a high value target for terrorists. It's actually still considered the #1 target for terrorists in the entire country. Everett is the location of Suez Energy's North American LNG terminal. You blow that up, Massachusetts doesn't exist anymore. The plant was shut down for about six weeks and no LNG tankers were allowed in Boston Harbor for about the same time.

It kind of sucks living near something like that. I lived near LNG terminals, and now, one of the oldest nuclear power plants in the country.