Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain's tomahawk move on 6'9 Bob Petit

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    I'll give you an example, though it may seem a bit bizarre (hope It makes sense to you):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxeLacGat-c

That's the first horror movie ever made. Why?

Not a lot of people watched movies before, so they expected the real thing to come through the screen. It was something to marvel and be of awe.

For that time, seeing Wilt completely lift his defender up from his feet (since Pettit thought he was going to shoot) and going for the jam, it was something to marvel and be of awe.

Revolutionary things, I suppose.

It's okay no worries, just thought I could explain it better... hope it helped.
    I understand the way revolutionary things work. But I just see it as a taller player putting the ball over a smaller one.

But as I mentioned, I guess it's just me.

As to whether or not that was the first type of move, I'm sure Mikan did that against shorter players. Shit... I honestly think I saw Herman Munster do something very similar in a Munsters episode (without the dunk of course).

Oh well.... I'll be the dumbass on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I understand the way revolutionary things work. But I just see it as a taller player putting the ball over a smaller one.

But as I mentioned, I guess it's just me.

As to whether or not that was the first type of move, I'm sure Mikan did that against shorter players. Shit... I honestly think I saw Herman Munster do something very similar in a Munsters episode (without the dunk of course).

Oh well.... I'll be the dumbass on this one.
    Meh, it's all good man.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I saw that he missed a 65point game and somebody caught it, but its a heck of a compilation and great starting point. Assuming all else is right Wilt had 44 games above 50 and points that average out to 59ppg. Which puts a spin on the Elgin Baylor arguments here - Wilt would have still have a 20ppg average lead on Baylor too if Wilt played part time like Baylor did. Amazingly, it comes out just about right, tho it isn't a direct correlation because of factors of rest, having a hot spell, etc. Baylor played 48 games that year
    No, because that's handpicking Wilt's highest scoring games and taking out the lower scoring games. In Baylor's 48 games we're including every game he had, both good and bad. We have no idea what Wilt would have done playing part time. Why would that mean Wilt wouldn't have any bad games(not that every single 50 point game he had was necessarily a good game)?

Why people think Baylor's situation was easier is something I'll also never understand. He wasn't just taking games off because he felt like it.

The team started off 31-11 with Baylor, then he had to leave the team due to his military obligations in early January.

He got a pass to play 3 games and on January 24th after not playing since January 1st, he had 38 points and 19 rebounds in a win over the Royals. The following night, he had 39 in another win over the Royals. And in the final of the 3 games from that pass, he had 36 points and 23 rebounds in a win over the Packers.

He got a one day pass to play the Celtics on February 18th and he again scored 38 points in a 125-99 win.

He got to play vs Detroit on February 25th as well and he had 45 points and 20 rebounds in a 128-99 win.

Baylor played his final game on March 12th vs the Knicks and he scored 37 in yet another win.

Amazing that every time he returned he'd score around his average and the Lakers would win.

Not only that, but in 13 playoff games, he averaged 38.6 ppg. So that's 61 games with him averaging 38+ ppg. And this clearly had an impact on the team as the Lakers were a 37-11 team that came painfully close to beating the Celtics with him, and a 17-15 team without him.

His playoff average was better than Wilt's actually, and so was his scoring average vs the Celtics who Wilt also faced that year in a 7 game series.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    No, because that's handpicking Wilt's highest scoring games and taking out the lower scoring games. In Baylor's 48 games we're including every game he had, both good and bad. We have no idea what Wilt would have done playing part time. Why would that mean Wilt wouldn't have any bad games(not that every single 50 point game he had was necessarily a good game)?

Why people think Baylor's situation was easier is something I'll also never understand. He wasn't just taking games off because he felt like it.

The team started off 31-11 with Baylor, then he had to leave the team due to his military obligations in early January.

He got a pass to play 3 games and on January 24th after not playing since January 1st, he had 38 points and 19 rebounds in a win over the Royals. The following night, he had 39 in another win over the Royals. And in the final of the 3 games from that pass, he had 36 points and 23 rebounds in a win over the Packers.

He got a one day pass to play the Celtics on February 18th and he again scored 38 points in a 125-99 win.

He got to play vs Detroit on February 25th as well and he had 45 points and 20 rebounds in a 128-99 win.

Baylor played his final game on March 12th vs the Knicks and he scored 37 in yet another win.

Amazing that every time he returned he'd score around his average and the Lakers would win.

Not only that, but in 13 playoff games, he averaged 38.6 ppg. So that's 61 games with him averaging 38+ ppg. And this clearly had an impact on the team as the Lakers were a 37-11 team that came painfully close to beating the Celtics with him, and a 17-15 team without him.

His playoff average was better than Wilt's actually, and so was his scoring average vs the Celtics who Wilt also faced that year in a 7 game series.
    Russell was guarding Baylor???

Part time is part time. Its a different reality. You don't battle attrition the same way and you can be really gassed up to play when you get a chance to. You are fresher when you play. Players hit a rookie wall when they play like their 40th - 50th game. If they don't play full time, they don't hit the wall. Its that simple. They fouled Chamberlain like crazy. If Wilt fully recupes after every two games he's going to score more. Basketball is more like work when you are in the grind everyday. You have to scheme on when you plant your rest and when you know you can't.

It should not be counted as the highest scoring season not by Wilt under any measure. Could you imagine how all out Jordan and Wilt could go if they played part time? Wilt for that matter. How fresh they would be for the playoffs as well. You say you have to factor in the bad games, there wouldn't be any bad games. Heck, Wilt fresh every game that year would be 55/30/12blocks. The blocks and rebounds wouldn't be stopped. In the later years, like 67 Wilt realistically would have a shot at a triple double season with 7 assist a game if he was a fresh weekend player for a whole season.

Hey Baylor had a great run in the playoffs doesn't matter - it has nothing to do with him qualifying for the scoring race. They won a lot when he played, doesn't matter it has nothing to do with him qualifying. He played differently than everybody else did and doesn't and shouldn't qualify. The funny thing is that folks will bend over backwards to disparage Wilts accomplishments while at the same time break the rules for his contemporaries to look better.