Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Should The Knicks Regret the Carmelo Trade?

Carmelo's a good man defender when he's trying. His problem is that he usually calls for switches too much.

Good High School Starter

No, because a Brooklyn-Born Carmelo Anthony on the Brooklyn Nets with Jay-Z as minority owner would be a marketing disaster for James Dolan to have to deal with.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    i never said that carmelo was a scrub, but he's a boarderline top 12 player and not a superstar that can win a championship by himself.
    Who can win a championship by themselves? Except Dirk...can't really think of anybody.

Now that I think about it...Dirk had a lil help

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk
    Why do people think STAT or Melo are not capable of doing that?
    Because they have never turned it up on defense. Why do people think Amare and Melo are capable of doing that is the real question.

Lol they can always gets those players that were traded away back. U think they can land another Melo anytime soon?

Serious playground baller RobertdeMeijer's Avatar

I found the trade horrible. As a Knicks fan, I regret it.

I don't like Carmelo Anthony. I honestly think he's so bad at defense, I'd rather have Gallinari (who is younger, taller, cheaper and almost as good offensively in my opinion)

I love Chauncey Billups. But he's getting old. I'm surprised he actually works in the D'Antoni system. But Raymond Felton was doing fine, so...

I wasn't a big fan of Wilson Chandler, but he was young and scoring points, so I think he could have been a good trade chip to hold on to.

Meh...

The Knicks should regret hiring D'Anthony.
    As we Suns fans have before.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Yes because they gave up a cast of good role players for a Melo, who was hinting signing with them the next season anyways and Billups, who is practically nothing more than a good role player at this stage in his career.

Kinda ironic following the "blockbuster trade," the Knicks went struggling into the playoffs and the Nuggets went streaking into the playoffs.

But Melo will a great addition in the long run tho.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrife
    The Knicks should regret hiring D'Anthony.
    As we Suns fans have before.
    Well hows porter, a defensive coach, doing for you? Fortunately you have gentry who knows dantonis system.

Absolutely not. The Knicks have Carmelo, Stoudemire, and Billups. That's tremendous players, and more importantly all with veteran experience. They know what it takes to win. Now they have the pieces.

There future is looking very bright. If they manage to hold onto Landry Fields and add on some other pieces, I expect them to seriously contend in a few seasons at most.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertdeMeijer
    I found the trade horrible. As a Knicks fan, I regret it.

I don't like Carmelo Anthony. I honestly think he's so bad at defense, I'd rather have Gallinari (who is younger, taller, cheaper and almost as good offensively in my opinion)
    I love Chauncey Billups. But he's getting old. I'm surprised he actually works in the D'Antoni system. But Raymond Felton was doing fine, so...

I wasn't a big fan of Wilson Chandler, but he was young and scoring points, so I think he could have been a good trade chip to hold on to.

Meh...
    Strongly disagree with the bolded part. Mostly not becuase I'm a big fan of Melo, but I think you are either under-rating him or overrating Ganillari too much with that statement. Ganillari to me was always best as a third option if you want your team to have the best chance at succeeding. Then again, it's not like I paid attention the Knicks like crazy last season before the trade. Is there somethig I'm missing?

the nuggets benefitted more than the knicks, but the knicks should be happy

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk
    Now that you look at it its pretty much:

Melo, Billups, Balkman for Gallinari, Miller, Mozgov, 2 2nd round picks, 1st round pick

The Knicks and Nuggets didn't do much in the playoffs last year, although the Knicks will be much more relevant than the Nuggets for the next 3-5 years.

The Knicks win the deal and its really not debatable anymore.
    Denver also received Felton and Chandler. Chandler was an RFA, so him signing in China means that Denver lost him for nothing. You may have left him out of the equation for that reason, but what about Felton?

I think NY definitely won with that trade. When you get a chance to obtain one of the few superstars in the league, you go for it.

NY will get the other necessary pieces this year and/or next to become a true contender.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus
    Denver also received Felton and Chandler. Chandler was an RFA, so him signing in China means that Denver lost him for nothing. You may have left him out of the equation for that reason, but what about Felton?

I think NY definitely won with that trade. When you get a chance to obtain one of the few superstars in the league, you go for it.

NY will get the other necessary pieces this year and/or next to become a true contender.
    But Amar'e really declined after Carmelo came. Maybe they'll learn to work well together, but I was really shocked at how much Amar'e's production dropped after Melo joined the Knicks.

I've said this many times. Although the actual trade negotiatoin by the Knicks was awful, in that the Knicks gave up about 40% too much, ultimately it was the right move.

If you want to win championships, you need championship level talent. And Amare and Melo are just that.

Get your superstars. Worry about the rest later.

Are we really debating whether getting a 27 year old borderline Top 10 player, who desperately wanted to play for your team, and without giving up your other Top 15 player, is the right move?

Close thread.