Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: As a Lakers fan, it's kind of depressing hearing...

dudes writing an autobiography

whats he suppossed to say? me and kobe love each other and that whole crap never happened?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Leon Smith
    The bad memories of a three-peat? What the hell is wrong with Laker fans here?
    I think he means the childish back and forth quarreling that went on in the organization both in the media and behind the scenes.

National High School Star

Just be a fan of the team more and it'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Hearing all that drama in Shaq's TELL all book (or the excerpts that have been leaked).

While I personally think Shaquille has a legitimate gripe (and the right to say the stuff he has; i.e, Kobe being really anti-social and distant from the team, etc.), I cant help but think the guy sounds like a freaking cry baby. A manchild who couldn't stand another alpha male in the same locker room. Shaq is already pining for the spotlight just 5 months removed from his retirement party.

Reading that Kobe was bullied (and slapped by Shaq) as a rookie was kinda depressing. I grew up on that team, Shaq was that dude. So it's like..they're winning championships, even 3-peating, yet there's this commotion going on? The entire time they never even liked each other? Then you got Phil Jackson who catered to Shaq's ego 24/7 (something I never knew). What's amazing is how these guys made 4 trips to the Finals.

Man, just hearing this type of stuff really is a downer. I feel like a dbag just cheering for these goofs.
    phil kinda touches on it in his book. like he felt obligated to side with shaq all them years.

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
    He was lucky to go to an already successful franchise that will more often than not have teams that can win it all.

The last Laker champion before Kobe arrived in the mid 90s, was in the late 80s. It was an entirely different team. When the Lakers with Kobe won another championship, it had been over a decade since the previous title.

Going to an franchise that had past championship teams with completely different players, is irrelevant.

Kobe helped make those teams into 3 peat champions. Not George Mikan, or Jerry West, or Kareem, or Magic,

but Kobe Bryant and Shaq.

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    I think he means the childish back and forth quarreling that went on in the organization both in the media and behind the scenes.
    That's like winning the lottery and considering it a bad memory because you have to spend $2 to open a new bank account to store it in.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Leon Smith
    That's like winning the lottery and considering it a bad memory because you have to spend $2 to open a new bank account to store it in.
    Not really

Spending the $2 aided in you getting your money.

Shaq and Kobe's feuding did nothing positive for either of them during their time together.

He's not saying that winning 3 straight titles wasn't a great memory. But when you look at it in it's totality, the bickering along the way as well as the stinging thought of what could have been had they been able to settle their disputes is a bad memory. Usually, the first thing people think of when you mention Kobe and Shaq is their feud. The success they had (although great) is unfortunately a lot of times an afterthought.

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

How do people know the feuding didn't actually help their games... nothing better than competition within a team.

I would hate to think how lazy Shaq would have been off the court, if he didn't have the motivation of Kobe being in his face.

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    He's not saying that winning 3 straight titles wasn't a great memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    The last 2 championships they won were amazing and erased any bad memories from the early 2000s.
    Really.

I think the actual answer to this conundrum is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    The memories are bad because Kobe Stans know that it was Shaq who brought them a 3-peat as team leader.
    For a "Laker" fan to say they have bad memories about the early 2000s - the exact timeframe in which they won three straight championships - is insane. Especially when it's followed with how their last two championships somehow erased the early 2000s "bad memories".

I guess Bulls fans are lucky that getting to the ECF last season erased all those bad memories from the 1990s - you know, when Jordan was fighting with his teammates and GM and they had constant drama surrounding the team, then Jordan retiring and later coming back.

I would have hated to be a Bulls fan then, all those bad memories.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    What's so "sad" about this? Other than the fact that Shaq is just embarrassing himself to sell books. There's nothing sad about the Lakers. The last 2 championships they won were amazing and erased any bad memories from the early 2000s. I'll never forget the game 7 win vs Boston. And at the end of the day, Shaq is finished. Kobe's career is far from over and he already has 5 rings...nothing makes me more happy than that.
    This. Great post.

Learning to shoot layups

People need to stop acting like they underachieved.

They win three straight championships and made another Finals over a five-year span. That's a incredible run.

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Hearing all that drama in Shaq's TELL all book (or the excerpts that have been leaked).

While I personally think Shaquille has a legitimate gripe (and the right to say the stuff he has; i.e, Kobe being really anti-social and distant from the team, etc.), I cant help but think the guy sounds like a freaking cry baby. A manchild who couldn't stand another alpha male in the same locker room. Shaq is already pining for the spotlight just 5 months removed from his retirement party.

Reading that Kobe was bullied (and slapped by Shaq) as a rookie was kinda depressing. I grew up on that team, Shaq was that dude. So it's like..they're winning championships, even 3-peating, yet there's this commotion going on? The entire time they never even liked each other? Then you got Phil Jackson who catered to Shaq's ego 24/7 (something I never knew). What's amazing is how these guys made 4 trips to the Finals.

Man, just hearing this type of stuff really is a downer. I feel like a dbag just cheering for these goofs.

the last 5 years with all the amazing moments....erased all the bad things Shaq brought during his time in our city...

I can look back now and hold that time in high regards...