Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Dr J: The Most Underrated Superstar Ever

Quote Originally Posted by PTB Fan
    Doc played pretty well in the Finals.

Actually, he averaged 28.5 points and 11.2 rebounds in the first and 37.9 points and 14.2 boards in the second, both shooting above 50%. He faced Bobby Jones in 76 when he put up those nice stats en route to a title.
    Yeah, it says that in the article

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    That's certainly the perceived public consensus.

For some reason it has become accepted that players like Kobe Bryant, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Hakeem Olajuwon should all be ranked ahead of Erving.

I was in agreement too, until recently. I'd now take Erving's career over all four of those players.

So...you either never saw him play and have formed an opinion based solely on other people's opinions...or you saw him play, don't trust what you saw, and are swayed by someone elses opinion.

Which is it?

I saw him play, including his ABA days. Doc was teriffic, and from a societal standpoint, is among the most influential players ever. He had a major role in bringing the culture of street ball into the pro ranks, not to mention being an early entrant at a position other than center who proved that he could not only compete, but excel. Drew people to the game when it was trying to gain mainstream acceptance. He was the NBA's OJ (which sounds strange today): a black superstar who was accepted by the white public.

That said, he's not among the top 10 players all time imo. Not as good a player as Wilt, Russell, Robertson, Kareem, Jordan, Bird, Bryant, Malone (Moses), Magic, Duncan, West to name a few. I have him in front of Baylor.

He didn't win until Moses came along and he was the 2nd best player on his own team. Even then, they didn't win it as often as expected. He had some VERY good teammates prior to that, but couldn't put them over the top. I don't subscribe to the "championships trump everything else" mentality that prevails here, but when you're splitting hairs among the greats, it has to be taken into account.

Top 15-20? Certainly. No shame in that. Simply wasn't as good an all round player as the other guys mentioned.
    Last edited by JMT; 11-05-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Yeah, it says that in the article
    My bad. I didn't notice that.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    So...you either never saw him play and have formed an opinion based solely on other people's opinions...or you saw him play, don't trust what you saw, and are swayed by someone elses opinion.

Which is it?

I saw him play, including his ABA days. Doc was teriffic, and from a societal standpoint, is among the most influential players ever. He had a major role in bringing the culture of street ball into the pro ranks, not to mention being an early entrant at a position other than center who proved that he could not only compete, but excel. Drew people to the game when it was trying to gain mainstream acceptance. He was the NBA's OJ (which sounds strange today): a black superstar who was accepted by the white public.

That said, he's not among the top 10 players all time imo. Not as good a player as Wilt, Russell, Robertson, Kareem, Jordan, Bird, Bryant, Malone (Moses), Magic, Duncan, West to name a few. I have him in front of Baylor.

He didn't win until Moses came along and he was the 2nd best player on his own team. Even then, they didn't win it as often as expected. He had some VERY good teammates prior to that, but couldn't put them over the top. I don't subscribe to the "championships trump everything else" mentality that prevails here, but when you're splitting hairs among the greats, it has to be taken into account.

Top 15-20? Certainly. No shame in that. Simply wasn't as good an all round player as the other guys mentioned.
    Repped

Which is it?

How is he not as good as those guys when he had the same success and put up similar stats?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    How is he not as good as those guys when he had the same success and put up similar stats?

Well, if he had the same success as those guys, that would be a good question.

West is the only one that's even close.
    Last edited by JMT; 11-06-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Well, if he had the same success as those guys, that would be a good question.

West is the only one that's even close.

Bird - 3 rings (2 as alpha)
    Dr. J - 3 rings (2 as alpha)
    Malone - 1 ring (alpha)
    Bryant - 5 rings (2 as alpha. you can make a very strong case for Pau being the alpha in 2010)

you can make a very strong case for Pau being the alpha in 2010
    No you can't you ****ing moron. Kobe was the best player on that team by FAR. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    I like sucking Kobe's dick.

Says the retarded kid with a Dwyane Wade username and a Dwyane Wade avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Says the retarded kid with a Dwyane Wade username and a Dwyane Wade avatar
    I don't make Wade threads. And when I talk about Wade, I back it up with facts, UNLIKE YOU.

Nah Wade, I don't mind of you *** in my face

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

Considering you're calling Erving DOCTOR J when he's neither a medical doctor nor has a PHD shows to me he's not underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by StarJordan
    Considering you're calling Erving DOCTOR J when he's neither a medical doctor nor has a PHD shows to me he's not underrated.
    Are you an imbecile? It's only a nickname. NICKNAME

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

^if his nickname was Janitor J then he would be underrated yes