Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Certified ISHiot.

Default Re: The 10 most significant players in NBA history

Came in here figuring I'd have to be the one to mention AI. Pleased to see that you already included him, and listed off all of the good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    Dirk. Right or wrong he has redefined the typical big man. And he is the reason for stretch 4s/5s.
    I think Kg really redefined it with his ball handling and versatility

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
    Russell has to be top 5, best player for one of the greatest dynasties ever and the first real black superstar in the NBA.
    Not to mention the historical significance of being the first black coach

Can I get a Jerry West? The guy is the logo afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Can I get a Jerry West? The guy is the logo afterall.
    So what that he's the logo? They could have easily made Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar robertson or some other player the logo. People didn't even know West was the logo for years.

That 7'6 chinese guy

Quote Originally Posted by Beebo
    That 7'6 chinese guy
    That's definitely a good point. He's done a lot for the popularity of the NBA worldwide.

When I think of significant I think of players who literally changed the rules of the game or how the game was played. Players like Jordan, Shaq, Mikan, Wilt are undoubtedly on top of the list. The reason these players should be counted 1 tier above players like Dr. J and Iverson is that they primarily did through the greatness of their game and less because they were a type of cultural icon or caricature. (although many of them became so after the fact)

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
    Dirk. Right or wrong he has redefined the typical big man. And he is the reason for stretch 4s/5s.

When you become synonymous with a style of play and every draft prospect that has a certain quality is compared to you... you have had a significant impact on the league......
    I'm not saying he isn't the best at it or hasn't inspired some bigs, but guys like Barkley and Horry were taking plenty of three's at the 4 spot years before Dirk was even an adult. Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison and Van Horn came into the league around the same time as Dirk and were also shooting alot of three's from the PF position. "he is the reason for the stretch 4's/5's" is maybe pushing it a bit. Also, his reduction in 3 point attempts and makes has kind of coincided with more success. He used to bomb away more often, and his back to the basket game in stronger and better now.
    Last edited by SCdac; 11-05-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    That's definitely a good point. He's done a lot for the popularity of the NBA worldwide.
    Definitely, yao was a good player not an all-time great but he's got to up there in terms of importance for the NBA and the game of basketball on a global scale.

The OP is a troll. KAJ not being one of the ten most significant players is a joke. He revolutionized a position and dominated other centers for 20 years. The guy was still beasting as a 39 year old!

Local High School Star WillyJakk's Avatar

I don't see why peeps are complainin', he clearly said in the OP (and I quote):

"Who you got."

As in what is your 10?

1: Jordan
    2: Magic
    3: Dr. J
    4: Larry Bird
    5: Bill Russell
    6: Shaq
    7: Maravich
    8: Iverson
    9: Yao
    10: Chamberlain

Chamberlain
    Russell
    Jordan
    Magic
    Bird
    Erving
    Haywood
    Yao
    Mikan
    Maravich

In no particular order.

Haywood is to basketball what Curt Flood was to baseball. That he hasn't made a list in this thread and LeBron Freaking James has says volumes about Ish posters.

Yao gave the game global attention that it had never seen. Mikan was the first great big, the first many had seen a man that size do anything remotely athletic. Maravich commanded the first million dollar contract and brought white fans back to a game that had become increasingly dominated by black players. Magic/Bird saved the game when fan interest was at an all time low. Doc brought street rhythms to the organized game and legitimized the ABA.

I know KAJ fans will balk, but he's #11 on my list. Only so many spots.

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

'm not saying he isn't the best at it or hasn't inspired some bigs, but guys like Barkley and Horry were taking plenty of three's at the 4 spot years before Dirk was even an adult. Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison and Van Horn came into the league around the same time as Dirk and were also shooting alot of three's from the PF position. "he is the reason for the stretch 4's/5's" is maybe pushing it a bit. Also, his reduction in 3 point attempts and makes has kind of coincided with more success. He used to bomb away more often, and his back to the basket game in stronger and better now.
    The only ones you mentioned that have the same "skillset" as Dirk was Van Horn. And Dirk was conwsidered "at best" Van Horn by Sports Illustrated when he was drafted by the Bucks/traded to the Mavs.

But yes, the reason why you you see tall stretch 4s/5s is because of Dirk.

Barkley/WalkerJamison ay have shot 3s, but that didn't inspire other 7 footers to have a face up game and shoot from deep. Horry did it as a spot up shooter, the same way Perkins did in his later career..... but other 7 footers weren't p[atterning their game as a "spot up shooter."

But Dirk inspired the revolution of having guys start out on the perimeter while still trying to take guys off the dribble.

The skillset from bigs is going more European style... and Dirk is the reason for that revolution.
    Last edited by Locked_Up_Tonight; 11-05-2011 at 10:40 PM.

How is LeBron here and not Baylor? Why is Pete here and not Cousy?