Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Movies Using Great Camera Angles?

Vertigo's Dolly Angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0Nh...eature=related

What else? I want several examples for various angles (zoom shot, low angle, arc angle, point of view, head on shot, long shot, over the shoulder).

If you guys have any off the top of your head, please share!

Local High School Star bballnoob's Avatar

Default Re: Movies Using Great Camera Angles?

Nice subtle close up in Memento: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSgiVutQ2JQ

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

ISH, take note: if you want your homework done for you, this is how you ask for it.

You know what it is. Just looking for some collaborative help here, can't think of movies with specific camera angles off the top of my head.

Not to mention this would be a nice thread to checkout if you're a movie buff.

Banned

Can't imagine how incredibly difficult it must've been to film this. Every single movement and tracking had to be perfectly synchronized and timed.

Orson Welles' "Touch Of Evil Opening Crane Shot"

Always loved the camera work in Goodfellas:

Bar Introductions, Tracking Shot

Spike Lee's signature shot that he uses often in films:

Malcolm X (Dolly shot starting at 7:04ish-7:17)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyConway
    Some of the best all around film work ever in that scene (direction, cinematography/lighting, sound all flawless)
    Last edited by DonDadda59; 11-16-2011 at 11:57 PM.

B-Eazy Mike Beasley MichaelCheazley's Avatar

Came here to mention this. Sir, are you a wizard?

Good High School Starter hammer2010's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus
    Vertigo's Dolly Angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je0Nh...eature=related

What else? I want several examples for various angles (zoom shot, low angle, arc angle, point of view, head on shot, long shot, over the shoulder).

If you guys have any off the top of your head, please share!
    Are you doing this for a project or a paper? Do you hope to be a filmmaker?

Because to me, if you look at the angles devoid of the other elements who cares. The angles need to serve the emotions and story. Sometimes the filmmaking itself gets in the way of that.

I would look for well directed movies. Then look for other movies by that director.

As I'm writing this, I just put the Godfather Blu-Ray in and the opening shot is one the best zoom shots in history. Actually it's so subtle you may not recognize it as a zoom.

If you want to make movies, a good exercise is to take a movie you've already seen before and watch it with the sound off. Then as each new shot comes on call it out, -long shot, medium, close-up, point of view, etc

If I was making a list of films young filmmakers should watch I off the top of my head I would say

The Conformist by Bertolluci
    Days of Heaven and Badlands....very much unlike other movies, the story is told visually ....almost poetically rather than dramatically
    The Conversation is interesting to film students because it's so interested in sound
    Taxi Driver has some great point of view shots
    Chinatown has a lot of shots that feel like pov shots but aren't.
    For difference between look at me filmmaking and a more invisible style look at the Coen Brothers' Miller's Crossing which is very stylized and No Country for Old Men which is more naturalistic.
    Henry and June
    Chungking Express
    The Killer and Hard Boiled

For older movies
    Hitchcock is always good.
    John Ford taught several generations of great filmmakers. Try The Searchers
    Sweet Smell of Success
    Sunset Boulevard

If you want one movie to get it all in one place. It's this one.

Off the top of my head, Leone's use of close-ups and long shots (my favorite would probably be the Mexican standoff in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly), the crane shot at the beginning of Touch of Evil, Citizen Kane's low angle shots, and the various camera angles in the Odessa Steps sequence in The Battleship Potemkin. There's a lot more, but that's what I have off the top of my head. You can't really go wrong with Kurosawa and Hitchcock, too. POV would seem to be the easiest, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head for some reason.

National High School Star vinsane01's Avatar

Atonement had an amazing tracking shot scene that went for 5 minutes. In it they manage to capture a lot of aspects related to the war and it lured the viewer to sort have a feel of what it's like to be in one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5dqmUgu0SI

Also i really like this scene from contact; which i thought was very cleverly done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD0_5HFMPIg

National High School Star vinsane01's Avatar

The car scene was mind blowing. I need to download this one. repped!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Are you doing this for a project or a paper? Do you hope to be a filmmaker?

Because to me, if you look at the angles devoid of the other elements who cares. The angles need to serve the emotions and story. Sometimes the filmmaking itself gets in the way of that.

I would look for well directed movies. Then look for other movies by that director.

As I'm writing this, I just put the Godfather Blu-Ray in and the opening shot is one the best zoom shots in history. Actually it's so subtle you may not recognize it as a zoom.

If you want to make movies, a good exercise is to take a movie you've already seen before and watch it with the sound off. Then as each new shot comes on call it out, -long shot, medium, close-up, point of view, etc

If I was making a list of films young filmmakers should watch I off the top of my head I would say

The Conformist by Bertolluci
    Days of Heaven and Badlands....very much unlike other movies, the story is told visually ....almost poetically rather than dramatically
    The Conversation is interesting to film students because it's so interested in sound
    Taxi Driver has some great point of view shots
    Chinatown has a lot of shots that feel like pov shots but aren't.
    For difference between look at me filmmaking and a more invisible style look at the Coen Brothers' Miller's Crossing which is very stylized and No Country for Old Men which is more naturalistic.
    Henry and June
    Chungking Express
    The Killer and Hard Boiled

For older movies
    Hitchcock is always good.
    John Ford taught several generations of great filmmakers. Try The Searchers
    Sweet Smell of Success
    Sunset Boulevard

If you want one movie to get it all in one place. It's this one.

jeesus what is this for so i can give you a better specific answer.

for my money roger deakins is cinematographer no.1. he keeps things very simple yet perfect. it seems more like you are looking for flashy or impressive long take camera work tho. what springs to mind..two of the greatest- tarkovsky and bela tarr. as for specific shots, hhmmm....

this scene in code unknown, one take used to perfection(although it is a fixed camera) perfectly conveys haneke's genuis and why he is a god like master of the medium. this scene is also everything that haneke's work represents and his ability to create anxiety on an unbelievable level. bathe in it....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5lfA7xyJQ

werckmeister harmonies- beautiful roving camera work and powerful scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRBOnJMJQzE

the player(altman) classic one take
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0epB5Z6ijpk

this is all you need.