Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Source: Caron Butler agrees to terms with Clippers. Three years, 24M.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Why so much excitement over Butler? He's old and coming off major knee surgery... and the Mavs played better without him last year. He's an upgrade for the Clips at SF, but hardly a game changer.
    Lol at him not being a game changer. This dude is respected around the NBA by players as a star caliber player. Not saying he will make an all star team again but he is indeed a good impact player.

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Source: Caron Butler agrees to terms with Clippers. Three years, 24M.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Lol at him not being a game changer. This dude is respected around the NBA by players as a star caliber player. Not saying he will make an all star team again but he is indeed a good impact player.
    Yeah he

Default Re: Clippers agree to terms with Caron Butler

Honestly I'd rather keep Gordon+DJ+Minny pick. Imagine if team can add another young, future star to the core? Mo Williams is solid for now. No real point to trading Kaman now though since we got a good SF.

Definitely will hold Kaman I bet.
    the thing about the pick is, that this year there are almost no good pg prospects, so if pg is the one position that the clippers want to improve in, then they arent going to fill that need in the draft.

thats why i dont love this butler signing. the draft is stacked with sfs. barnes, terrence jones, quiny miller, kidd-gilchrist, all of these guys are top notch prospects.

if i were the clippers i would have just held out this off-season. this is a young team, no need to rush and sign any vets to long term contracts, let your young guys develop alongside one another, draft a sf. see where you are in a couple years, and sign vets only when your almost contending, to put you over the top.
    Last edited by chips93; 12-08-2011 at 06:23 PM.

[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Yeah he

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    the thing about the pick is, that this year there are almost no good pg prospects, so if pg is the one position that the clippers want to improve in, then they arent going to fill that need in the draft.

thats why i dont love this butler signing. the draft is stacked with sfs. barnes, terrence jones, quiny miller, kidd-gilchrist, all of these guys are top notch prospects.

if i were the clippers i would have just held out this off-season. this is a young team, no need to rush and sign any vets to long term contracts, let your young guys develop alongside one another, draft a sf. see where you are in a couple years, and sign vets only when your almost contending, to put you over the top.
    I agree it's a bad year for PG's. Thing is we can draft a SF to take Butler's position in 2-3 years.... OR we can draft best player available and trade him for a star PG. Still win win.

"According to another league source, the Spurs offered Butler a four-year, $21 million deal, the full value of their mid-level exception. The Nets went even bigger -- four years and $30 million, according to sources -- but Butler preferred to play in Los Angeles alongside Griffin and Gordon."

Banned

"According to another league source, the Spurs offered Butler a four-year, $21 million deal, the full value of their mid-level exception. The Nets went even bigger -- four years and $30 million, according to sources -- but Butler preferred to play in Los Angeles alongside Griffin and Gordon."
    WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    Nets trying to learn from lessons of last year, when they overpaid for players in free agency. They eased back on Caron Butler today.

Nets

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAssassin
    WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    Nets trying to learn from lessons of last year, when they overpaid for players in free agency. They eased back on Caron Butler today.

Nets
    Yup. I saw that too. Nets backed off today apparently. Either way he preferred Clips. Reason I said Clips were most likely ended up being true. Clippers offered him best combination of role, money+ chance to contend long term. Bulls offered him the chance to win... but not the money or role (he would be getting played out of position and all over place). Spurs offered him chance to contend short term and great role but not most money. Nets offered him most money with very little chance to contend soon and a big role.

I agree he could make an impact if he can stay healthy, 'star caliber' is a stretch. He was a star, hasn't really been one for a couple of seasons. But a strong veteran player when healthy.

Banned

Spurs fans in that other thread are mad.
    we will only be mad if we dont fill that role which we will. of course we would of loved to have caron. hes a good defender a real tough guy you guys got a good pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    I agree he could make an impact if he can stay healthy, 'star caliber' is a stretch. He was a star, hasn't really been one for a couple of seasons. But a strong veteran player when healthy.
    Yea... he will never be a star again. Capable, solid, 3rd option veteran on both ends of the floor? Definitely. He's not an empty stats player.

Banned

good to see a player not make a choice based on money. thats why I like this guy

Great signing by the Clips. People only think of Caron as a scorer, but he also does all the little things a team needs from its supporting players to win.

Wonder what happens with the center situation now. I still believe they should re-sign DJ and trade Kaman.

Most ironic thing is because it's the CLIPPERS who signed him everybody wants to talk about how overrated he is or how he's injury prone. Yet when the Spurs and Bulls were making room for him it was a GREAT move that deserved praise and respect . Funny how perceptions get in the way of facts/reality.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Great signing by the Clips. People only think of Caron as a scorer, but he also does all the little things a team needs from its supporting players to win.

Wonder what happens with the center situation now. I still believe they should re-sign DJ and trade Kaman.
    Exactly. I'm also wondering about Kaman/DJ situation. If Warriors hike price too much we need to ask ourselves if it's smart to match. If it stays under 11 mill I say you need to match. I'd say Kaman will be less likely to be trade since we have a SF now. I honestly think Bledsoe is going to show big improvements this year and shore up our PG rotation. We are better off taking the cap dump and letting Kaman walk probably.

Then we draft a SF in this super deep SF class so that when Caron does get injured or declines.. we have his replacement with someone lik Gilchrist or Barnes etc.