Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Prime Walton vs Prime Duncan

I give the Edge to Walton.

Although statistically its very close I believe Walton at his Peak faced better competition.

Walton destroyed Prime/Peak Kareem in the playoffs which is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by 32Dayz

Although statistically its very close I believe Walton at his Peak faced better competition.

didn't Kareem averaged close to 34/20 that series?

Another 32Dayz classic.

Eh.. so maybe Kareem had the slight individual edge but Walton played better team ball / defense and still put up some beastly numbers himself and his team won the series.

Walton: 19.3 ppg, 14.8 rpg, 5.8 apg, 2.3 bpg, 51 FG%.

One of the best passing Centers ever.

Remember this was Kareem at his absolute Peak... pretty impressive to put up those numbers against him and win the series.

Eh.. so maybe Kareem had the slight individual edge but Walton played better team ball / defense and still put up some beastly numbers himself and his team won the series.

Walton: 19.3 ppg, 14.8 rpg, 5.8 apg, 2.3 bpg, 51 FG%.

One of the best passing Centers ever.

Remember this was Kareem at his absolute Peak... pretty impressive to put up those numbers against him and win the series.
    Walton IS the best passing center ever.

but back to the Kareem Walton debate, Kareem kicked that ass but didnt win because his supporting cast wasnt as good. Simple as that. Not saying Bill didnt contribute which he truly was the key to the Blazers success but are we forgetting Maurice Lucas?
    Last edited by Bigsmoke; 12-19-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke

but back to the Kareem Walton debate, Kareem kicked that ass but didnt win because his supporting cast wasnt as good. Simple as that. Not saying Bill didnt contribute which he truly was the key to the Blazers success but are we forgetting Maurice Lucas?
    Well as pointed out above. The Blazers really took a hit when Walton was out of the line up. The Blazers were a great team unit. And Walton's contribution that was huge, I don't think Lucas contribution was near that. I don't know their record when Lucas didn't play for a comparison. With those speedy Blazer guards and the their fast break philosophy, Walton was a perfect match.

Walton led that team in assists in 78 and shot a much higher fg%. I think Walton would have just stepped up more in the offense if Lucas went out and they still would have had a winning record.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 12-24-2011 at 07:54 AM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke

Chamberlain was EASILY the greatest passing center in NBA history. The man won an ASSIST title for cryingoutloud. He came in THIRD in another season. His 8.6 and 7.8 apg seasons are MILES ahead of the next best passing season by a center. He also had TWO consecutive triples-double playoff series (28 ppg, 26.5 rpg, 11.0 apg, .612 shooting, and then 21.6 ppg, 32.0 rpg, 10.0 apg, .556 shooting.) At one time he shared the post-season assist record of 19 assists in a game (a 16-30-19 game BTW.) He also had the only 20-20-20 game in NBA history (22 points, 25 rebounds, and 21 assists), as well as the most staggering triple-double game in NBA history (53 points, on 24-29 shooting, with 32 rebounds, and 14 assists, as well as 7 blocks.) And he had a playoff qaud double (against Russell no less) of 24, 32, 13, 12 (as well as series clinching game five of 29-36-13-7.). He had NINE straight triple-doubles, which is also a record.

Not only that, but his outlet passing in the Lakers' 71-72 season, led LA to an average of 121 ppg, in a league that averaged 110 ppg (and the second best team was a mile away at 116 ppg.)

And Wilt led the NBA in scoring in 65-66, at 33.5 ppg, and still handed out 5.2 apg...as well as leading the league in rebounding, and setting a then-record .540 FG% mark...all while leading his team to the best record in the league. BTW, for those that would somehow suggest that Wilt was "stats-padding" when he led the NBA in assists in '68...his Sixers ran away with the best record in the league. In fact, Wilt averaged 5.2 apg, 7.8 apg, and 8.6 apg from his '66 thru '68 seasons in Philly, and the Sixers had the best record in the league each season.

Once again, Chamberlain was the greatest passing center (and greatest passing big man) in NBA history, and I'm sorry, it has never been close.
    Last edited by jlauber; 12-24-2011 at 11:44 AM.

I'm about to get a shit tonne of hate for this but here goes:

I have no clue how Walton played or how good he was, I just knew him as a commentator.

So based on my limited knowledge of him and his biased bitch-ass commentating, I am going to assume that he was a phony hyped up little bitch in his prime who played with a bunch of incompetent unathletic fools.

Have a nice day

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by hkfosho
    I'm about to get a shit tonne of hate for this but here goes:

I have no clue how Walton played or how good he was, I just knew him as a commentator.

So based on my limited knowledge of him and his biased bitch-ass commentating, I am going to assume that he was a phony hyped up little bitch in his prime who played with a bunch of incompetent unathletic fools.

Have a nice day
    Why would you waste your time to make a worthless, pointless, baseless, post like this?

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Why would you waste your time to make a worthless, pointless, baseless, post like this?
    Because I fvcking hated his commentating with his old-hag bias tendencies with the lakers

Fvck him

And fvck his stupid ass no talent son too

I would take TD, but its close. They would be perfect together

7-time NBA All-Star

Chamberlain was EASILY the greatest passing center in NBA history. The man won an ASSIST title for cryingoutloud. He came in THIRD in another season. His 8.6 and 7.8 apg seasons are MILES ahead of the next best passing season by a center. He also had TWO consecutive triples-double playoff series (28 ppg, 26.5 rpg, 11.0 apg, .612 shooting, and then 21.6 ppg, 32.0 rpg, 10.0 apg, .556 shooting.) At one time he shared the post-season assist record of 19 assists in a game (a 16-30-19 game BTW.) He also had the only 20-20-20 game in NBA history (22 points, 25 rebounds, and 21 assists), as well as the most staggering triple-double game in NBA history (53 points, on 24-29 shooting, with 32 rebounds, and 14 assists, as well as 7 blocks.) And he had a playoff qaud double (against Russell no less) of 24, 32, 13, 12 (as well as series clinching game five of 29-36-13-7.). He had NINE straight triple-doubles, which is also a record.

Not only that, but his outlet passing in the Lakers' 71-72 season, led LA to an average of 121 ppg, in a league that averaged 110 ppg (and the second best team was a mile away at 116 ppg.)

And Wilt led the NBA in scoring in 65-66, at 33.5 ppg, and still handed out 5.2 apg...as well as leading the league in rebounding, and setting a then-record .540 FG% mark...all while leading his team to the best record in the league. BTW, for those that would somehow suggest that Wilt was "stats-padding" when he led the NBA in assists in '68...his Sixers ran away with the best record in the league. In fact, Wilt averaged 5.2 apg, 7.8 apg, and 8.6 apg from his '66 thru '68 seasons in Philly, and the Sixers had the best record in the league each season.

Once again, Chamberlain was the greatest passing center (and greatest passing big man) in NBA history, and I'm sorry, it has never been close.
    Right, because assist numbers, particularly across eras comparing guys who played on different teams and different amounts of minutes really sum up who the best passer was.....nothing else matters, just assist numbers. Not to mention that it's well documented Wilt aimed to lead the league in assists. When you aim for a statistical achievement, it makes it hard to compare the numbers to others.

Wilt was a great passer, I'm not sure if he always was, or that he always had the ability and became more willing later, but I have no doubt that he was an elite passing big man with the Sixers and Lakers.

But to say nobody is close? Or that it's clear? If that's the case, then why do so many call Walton, Sabonis ect. the best? Because it's subjective. There have been many great passing big men, whether it's those guys, Webber, Divac or Kareem.

If assist numbers(without factoring in the context) prove everything, then why do I, and so many others think that Sabonis was such a phenomenal passer? After all, his high apg season was 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Right, because assist numbers, particularly across eras comparing guys who played on different teams and different amounts of minutes really sum up who the best passer was.....nothing else matters, just assist numbers. Not to mention that it's well documented Wilt aimed to lead the league in assists. When you aim for a statistical achievement, it makes it hard to compare the numbers to others.

Wilt was a great passer, I'm not sure if he always was, or that he always had the ability and became more willing later, but I have no doubt that he was an elite passing big man with the Sixers and Lakers.

But to say nobody is close? Or that it's clear? If that's the case, then why do so many call Walton, Sabonis ect. the best? Because it's subjective. There have been many great passing big men, whether it's those guys, Webber, Divac or Kareem.

If assist numbers(without factoring in the context) prove everything, then why do I, and so many others think that Sabonis was such a phenomenal passer? After all, his high apg season was 3.0.
    just curious, but who do you think is the best passing big man in nba history?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234

Statistics can be distorted to be sure. Iverson led the NBA in scoring while shooting 40%. Biedrins led the NBA in FG%, but couldn't shoot from 5+ ft. And Bowen won a 3 pt title in a year in which he shot .404 from the FT line.

Having said that, though, EVERYONE measures STATISTICAL titles based on STATISTICAL achievements. Who have been the greatest running backs in the NFL? The greatest HR hitters in MLB? Or the greatest scorers in NBA history?

Chamberlain's assists came in an era when they were considerably more difficult to come by. Teams averaged nearly as many assists, last year, as they did in '68.

Not only that, but Wilt had seasons of 7.8 apg and 8.6 apg...and there has never been another center who even averaged 6.0. Then, in the post-season he went 9.2 apg and 6.5 apg.

As for setting out with an assist title as a goal...so what? It certainly wasn't a selfish stat. His TEAM went 62-20, and RAN AWAY with the best record in the league.

And, great passing IS linked with assists. Compare the passing of Jason Williams with that of John Stockton. On occasion Williams would make a sensational no-look, behind-the-back pass. And then follow it up with a pass into the seats when he had a wide-open player under the basket. Meanwhile Stockton was less exciting, and far more efficient with his passing.

Once again, Chamberlain had STAGGERING assist numbers for a big man. You simply can't diminish what he accomplished. And he was doing so while leading his team's to the best record in the league. And his '67 post-season run was unquestionably the greatest passing ever seen by a big man in the playoffs. Two straight triple-double series, and nearly an entire post-season, covering 15 games, of a triple-double average.

And, had assists been as easy to come by as they were in the Magic-Stockton era, and there were have been a strong possibility that Chamberlain would have had 1-2 triple-double SEASONS. Especially when you consider the fact that team's generally shot much worse in the 60's than they did in the 80's.

I have always marveled at Chamberlain's 62-63 season, when along with his 44.8 ppg and .528 shooting (in a league that shot .441), he averaged 3.4 apg...and with his teammates collectively shooting .412 from the floor. How many apg did he lose that season simply because his teammates were incapable of shooting? Of course, when he was finally given a decent supporting cast, with the Sixers, he could hand out 5.2 apg while still leading the league in scoring at 33.5 ppg (and in the process, taking his team to the best record in the league.)

In any case, Chamberlain's best passing seasons stand on their own. And yes, no other center (or big man) ever came close.

Why did Wilt lead the league in assists? Was it because his was just that good? No! It was because he made it a goal of his, to the detriment of his scoring.

Like ive said to you before - from what ive seen, Wilts playmaking/passing involved getting the ball with his back to the basket 10-12 feet out, waiting for a teammate to run through a couple of screens (whilst doing his 1-handed round the head ball fake) then dumping the ball off and watching said teammate drain a 15 foot jumper.

When you consider the pace of the league in the mid 60s, and the fact that he played almost every minute of every game, it's not hard to see why he put up such impressive apg numbers.

Wilt was a great passing Centre - one of the greatest of all time, but he was not "EASILY the greatest passing center in NBA history". That distinction goes to Bill Walton.