Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Would Kobe ever take a 50 percent salary cut to help Lakers rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    that is just stupid. why is Kobe going to sacrifice his earnings? He earned that contract. And just so the Lakers can be better after he is gone. Just sounds like some immature reasoning.
    You're missing a key part. Kobe may still be playing for the team another 5 years. He's already upset about the Lakers having such a poor summer. A huge part of that is no flexibility due to cap restrictions. If the Lakers want to ADD PIECES TO THE CURRENT TEAM as well as be more flexible going forward a Kobe pay cut will help tremendously.

As a Lakers fan it's laughable to me that you're justifying Kobe's pay and completely okay with him tying down your cap BIG TIME. He's already mentioned taking a pay cut during CBA negotiations so why not hold him to it?
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 12-24-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Default Re: Would Kobe ever take a 50 percent salary cut to help Lakers rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    You're missing a key part. Kobe may still be playing for the team another 5 years. He's already upset about the Lakers having such a poor summer. A huge part of that is no flexibility due to cap restrictions. If the Lakers want to ADD PIECES TO THE CURRENT TEAM as well as be more flexible going forward a Kobe pay cut will help tremendously.
    No what would also help. If everyone on the organization took a pay cut. Not just Kobe, but EVERYONE. Doesn't mean that it is necessary.

Fact of the matter is that it would be stupid if Kobe did that. I would lose even more respect for him. It would prove to me that he is still a child.

He probably wouldn't but if he did. Could Amnesty MWP. Let Luke expire next year... and resign Bynum at a reasonable price. They could then have cap space with that move.

Arcadia, CA

Stupid thread, youre asking him to give up 50% of his salary..........wow really man. SMH

Is this thread serious or is there an inside joke I'm clueless on? Why would Kobe need to worry about the Lakers future 10yrs from now? Why would Kobe need to take a paycut? If he did, do others take a paycut too? Is Kobe salary that big of a deal for the Lakers? Maybe if you were looking to trade him yeah. But right now what problem does it present? If the Lakers want to improve it can do so by trading. Bynum and Gasol have value. I'm lost here.

If Kobe takes a paycut and the Lakers dont add significant pieces can Kobe get the lost millions back or he loses out? And somehow the good of the franchise 10yrs down the road is saved still?

Deandre Jordan is overpaid and not worth the deal he signed for. Couldnt he have taken less for the good of the Clippers?

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    No what would also help. If everyone on the organization took a pay cut. Not just Kobe, but EVERYONE. Doesn't mean that it is necessary.

Fact of the matter is that it would be stupid if Kobe did that. I would lose even more respect for him. It would prove to me that he is still a child.
    You'd lose respect for Kobe for taking a huge paycut to help the teams flexibility? . I have learned today that you are a Kobe fan, not a Lakers fan. If this was Blake Griffin in the future making 25+ mill a year.. I'd be saying the same thing about him. Why?

Because I'm a fan of my TEAM first.. players second. If Blake Griffin taking a huge pay cut will better the teams situation tremendously and he did.. I'd have an immense amount of respect for the selfless act.

I'm sure he gets 50+ mill a year from all combined endorsements. 30 at worst. He's not hurting for cash man.
    You're off by somewhere between 300-500%.

$10 million

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/spe...011/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Is this thread serious or is there an inside joke I'm clueless on? Why would Kobe need to worry about the Lakers future 10yrs from now? Why would Kobe need to take a paycut? If he did, do others take a paycut too? Is Kobe salary that big of a deal for the Lakers? Maybe if you were looking to trade him yeah. But right now what problem does it present? If the Lakers want to improve it can do so by trading. Bynum and Gasol have value. I'm lost here.

If Kobe takes a paycut and the Lakers dont add significant pieces can Kobe get the lost millions back or he loses out? And somehow the good of the franchise 10yrs down the road is saved still?

Deandre Jordan is overpaid and not worth the deal he signed for. Couldnt he have taken less for the good of the Clippers?
    I already specified... 10 years down the line was the LAST reason. The main reason is current flexibility. Let me ask you guys a question. Knowing Kobe do you think he'd rather finish his career with 2 more rings in 3 years at 15 mill a year salary? Or would he rather be making 30 mill over the 3 years and finish with 0 rings. If you're a Lakers fan or know anything about Kobe this is a clear answer.

You'd lose respect for Kobe for taking a huge paycut to help the teams flexibility? . I have learned today that you are a Kobe fan, not a Lakers fan. If this was Blake Griffin in the future making 25+ mill a year.. I'd be saying the same thing about him. Why?

Because I'm a fan of my TEAM first.. players second. If Blake Griffin taking a huge pay cut will better the teams situation tremendously and he did.. I'd have an immense amount of respect for the selfless act.
    there is a difference between selfish and stupid. there is also a debate about whether there are indeed selfless acts but that is beside the point.

But, back on point, that would be stupid and childish. I would lose respect for him for doing that. It would make me believe that he hasn't grown up after 16 years in the league. No legit businessman would ever do such a thing.

Oh, and calm down about this TEAM fan stuff. You didn't start posting here until Blake showed up in LAC. I on the other hand have been a huge fan of LAL since the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    You're off by somewhere between 300-500%.

$10 million

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/spe...011/index.html
    I'm gonna go with Forbes on this one... who specialize in business and finance over a sporting magazine. They reported 21 million in 2007 with an upward trend. I'm sure if I dig long enough I can find a more recent Forbes report.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB

this forum gets dumber and more immature every day.

lol at the insinuation that the lakers are in trouble, let alone that if they were to be, kobe's contract is in part to blame

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

50% might be a bit much. Especially with the Lakers usually being over the cap by more than the 15 million they would save. So he would just be doing what? saving them tax money?

I dont see that being something hes worried about. Buss has a new 5 billion dollar local tv deal on top of the fact that the lakers turn a profit even with the huge salaries.

He can afford to pay the tax if he feels like it and Kobe knows that.

Quote Originally Posted by SourGrapes

this forum gets dumber and more immature every day.

lol at the insinuation that the lakers are in trouble, let alone that if they were to be, kobe's contract is in part to blame
    . I make a serious thread and it's me being dumb and immature or trolling? You got some serious denial/bitterness going on man. This is a sincere question from me.

. I make a serious thread and it's me being dumb and immature or trolling? You got some serious denial/bitterness going on man. This is a sincere question from me.
    i don't doubt it's a sincere question from you

Quote Originally Posted by Pra
    He probably wouldn't but if he did. Could Amnesty MWP. Let Luke expire next year... and resign Bynum at a reasonable price. They could then have cap space with that move.
    Kblaze this is what I'm talking about. An example such as this one. It wouldn't immediately give cap but with right moves it would give Lakers cap next summer. Which would improve Kobe's shot at winning a couple more rings before he retires. Let's be real guys. Who honestly thinks Kobe is going to get another ring with the roster as stands??