Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Ricky Rubio or Kyrie Irving?

They'd be a fun combo backcourt

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    They'd be a fun combo backcourt
    never thought about that but they actually would. rubio would hold it down more defensively/passing wise. irving will the better scorer/shot creator off the ball. only prob is bigger shooting guards would post up irving. though they are some of the bigger PGs, a 6'3-6'4ish backcourt is pretty small, but hey, it mostly works for portland.

i'd take irving overall but it's way closer than some people will admit. it also depends on the type of team/system you have.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    never thought about that but they actually would. rubio would hold it down more defensively/passing wise. irving will the better scorer/shot creator off the ball. only prob is bigger shooting guards would post up irving. though they are some of the bigger PGs, a 6'3-6'4ish backcourt is pretty small, but hey, it mostly works for portland.

i'd take irving overall but it's way closer than some people will admit. it also depends on the type of team/system you have.
    They wouldn't start together. There was actually some talk during the offseason that the Cavs and TWolves were negotiating a trade involving Rubio. He would be used in a Delly role. Backup PG and a guy they could use in different lineups with Kyrie occasionally ... the same way they did Delly.

The problem is, Delly was a pretty damn good shooter. As good a passer as Rubio is, he is just a horrendous shooter and those guys usually don't fit all that well alongside LeBron and Kyrie.

I also don't think it is close. Kyrie just dominated Steph Curry on the biggest stage in basketball. People are so cautious about giving him any props that I'm consistently surprised.

Minnesota just drafted a point guard. I'm not putting Rubio down, but he is more than likely going to transition to a role player off the bench soon. You're comparing that to a guy who was All-NBA in his last healthy regular season and dominated these past playoffs.