Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Serious playground baller

Default help with bodybuilding!!

im 6.0" 165 lbs. im a skinny guy. well some think im skinny some dont. but im already all cut and all that. but i dont got no muscles

i just moved to this town called london in ontario canada. i have a 9-5 job so i got lots of time. ive never worked out before so i wanna register with a gym and get ripped.

but i dont know what to do... do i just register and then go and start lifting weights?? do gyms have personnel workers to help guys like me out?? or is there a routine out there that i can follow?

Default Re: help with bodybuilding!!

Ask Vishal, dude is ripped.

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    hahaha well where vishal atttt????

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac

For real though, if you have NO experience, then find someone in the gym who does and let them walk you through some stuff based on your goals. Don't hire a personal trainer unless you really really have no clue, but just asking some guys at the gym for advice would work.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low

For real though, if you have NO experience, then find someone in the gym who does and let them walk you through some stuff based on your goals. Don't hire a personal trainer unless you really really have no clue, but just asking some guys at the gym for advice would work.
    ight bro... i just dont know what the atmosphere is like

I rule the local playground Rojogaqu11's Avatar

Hehe, I'm about 5'11 and weigh around 145-150. I'm skinny and flabby, really don't look bad but I could be SO much better. Not in my prime anymore so it's harder to put on some muscle and I never had good workout habits. Liked sports too much but never put the time to get stronger.

My advice is to drink a lot of water, eat a lot, and lift heavy weights compound movements 3 days a week and sleep at least 8 hours a day. I never did that but heard a lot of people say that is the way to go.

5-time NBA All-Star

Don't really need to ask anybody.

Pick up a copy of Starting Strength.

Calculate how many calories you need to grow.

Get started.

3X a week compound lifts. Add isolations.

Eat a caloric surplus.

Keep it simple. I could've been a f*cking freak if I wasn't so obsessed about having a sixpack as a teen and focused no pure strength. Got ripped and got my vert up in less than a year to the point where I could block and outrebound guys 6 to 7" taller than me and 20-40 lbs more than me on a regular basis! But thankfully still 21 w/o any injuries. Going to achieve my goals in a year and maintain through mah 40s!

im a superhero

like most have said. go in 3 times a week and start off with compound movements. get someone to help you with all of these. even something as simple as bench press is done wrong by so many people.
    particularly get someone to make sure you have correct form on squats and deadlifts. once you get form down, lift heavy and short. 4-6 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by abdubaba
    im 6.0" 165 lbs. im a skinny guy. well some think im skinny some dont. but im already all cut and all that. but i dont got no muscles

i just moved to this town called london in ontario canada. i have a 9-5 job so i got lots of time. ive never worked out before so i wanna register with a gym and get ripped.

but i dont know what to do... do i just register and then go and start lifting weights?? do gyms have personnel workers to help guys like me out?? or is there a routine out there that i can follow?
    That's where I live! . I go to the UWO gym, it has the best equipment in the city and I get to go there for free since I'm a student.

Also, be patient with it. You're not gonna look like a pro wrestler anytime soon. I'm 5'9 and it took me about 3-4 years to gain 25 pounds of GOOD weight (muscle rather than fat/water weight), but the patience def pays off

Since I answered none of your questions, I will here. I've been to good life before (there are a lot of them around the city) and they tend to only have a few trainers there at a time who will not help you out unless you're paying them. The trainers at my gym are just students as well, so they will help you no problem. Instead of asking trainers though, just ask people like me who have been working out for years, we know what works and how to do it properly.

I'm 5'10" and about 180 lbs so if you want a workout buddy, I could oblige.

I'm pretty sure Goodlife costs $40 a month. Athletic Club is definitely a bit more. The UWO gym costs $20 a month for the summer, but that might be some student deal or something.

DGARAS
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

jesus christ, don't start starting strength. no beginner should start with squats or deadlifts.

go to bodybuilding.com and read some shit there. peace

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGARAS
    jesus christ, don't start starting strength. no beginner should start with squats or deadlifts.

go to bodybuilding.com and read some shit there. peace
    This.... never start off with squats, seen so many kids in the gym who **** up their knees with poor squat form.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

^ That's why they need to LEARN it. The Squat (or deads) is like the really hot girl at work - you just HAVE to do it. I am with everyone here on the fact that people should use proper form, but to say that you SHOULDN'T do squats and deads is just not right. They are some of the most functional exercises you can do and have a host of benefits to a lifter.