Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Re: help with bodybuilding!!

I'm doing starting strength right now. Bench/Squat/Cleans/Shoulder press are my main workouts, 3x a week for squat and cleans, 2x a week for bench and shoulder press. Sometimes I also do chin ups and pull ups. I think it's pretty good so far.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    That's where I live! . I go to the UWO gym, it has the best equipment in the city and I get to go there for free since I'm a student.
    ya boiiii... link up!!

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by VishaltotheG
    I'm doing starting strength right now. Bench/Squat/Cleans/Shoulder press are my main workouts, 3x a week for squat and cleans, 2x a week for bench and shoulder press. Sometimes I also do chin ups and pull ups. I think it's pretty good so far.
    funny thing is i dont know what those things mean at all my bro agreed for me to use his UWO card so we should deff hit the gym together... PM me bro if you wanna link up

Quote Originally Posted by abdubaba
    ya boiiii... link up!!
    Sure man. PM'd.

Learning to shoot layups

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/best_newbie_workout.htm

I'd recommend something like this, a simple 3 day split, just make sure to eat slightly above your daily maintenance and get at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

The forum on bodybuilding.com is great if you wan't any additional advice, just make sure it's from legit posters.

I started with a program similar to this one when I was 152lbs, now I'm 210lbs.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by kjarnorkudori
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/best_newbie_workout.htm

I'd recommend something like this, a simple 3 day split, just make sure to eat slightly above your daily maintenance and get at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.

The forum on bodybuilding.com is great if you wan't any additional advice, just make sure it's from legit posters.

I started with a program similar to this one when I was 152lbs, now I'm 210lbs.
    There is no way in hell you gained 58 pounds of lean muscle. When did you start training? Did you dirty bulk?

Quote Originally Posted by DGARAS
    jesus christ, don't start starting strength. no beginner should start with squats or deadlifts.

go to bodybuilding.com and read some shit there. peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    This.... never start off with squats, seen so many kids in the gym who **** up their knees with poor squat form.
    If negs were still here these two posts would definitely be deserving of some. Guys like Bill Starr and Mark Rippetoe who make these beginner types of programs are not only some of the strongest people in history, but some of the most well respected names when it comes to strength training. Not to mention there are so many different resources out there to TEACH people the lifts they need to know.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

crossfit

Good college starter

Speaking of Starting Strength, is it possible for me to replace squats with some other workout for a day? 3 days a week squatting is way too much, especially compared to everything else. My legs are shot every damn day.

Speaking of Starting Strength, is it possible for me to replace squats with some other workout for a day? 3 days a week squatting is way too much, especially compared to everything else. My legs are shot every damn day.
    It isn't recommended. Squats are the benchmark in the program as a stronger squat makes all other lifts stronger as well. The volume is hard to adjust to at first especially for beginners, but just stick with it and you'll get used to it. Also look to invest in a foam roller (I got mine for $20), that's done wonders in terms of helping me recover from DOMS and the like.

Squats 3 days a week?
    Deadlifts are a good workout I guess

Squating 3 times a week is too damn high

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Squats 3 days a week?
    Deadlifts are a good workout I guess

Squating 3 times a week is too damn high
    Apparently the folks at bodybuilding.com say it isn't too much. and deadlifts work out almost the same thing that squats do, right?

Apparently the folks at bodybuilding.com say it isn't too much. and deadlifts work out almost the same thing that squats do, right?
    3X a week isn't too much. I've been doing it for about a month now and have seen significant gains, either you started too high on your weights or your form may be causing discomfort.

I just saw your thread on bb.com and see you replaced deadlifts with curls. If you're not going to follow the program then just look toward a different one that you believe fits your needs better. From personal experience and the testimony of many others, though, SS is a great building block for gaining strength.

Not trying to come off like I know everything because I don't, I'm still very new to everything as well. I've been lifting on and off for years now, but just recently hopping on one of these programs and sticking to them as written has given me the best workouts and gains I've ever come across.
    Last edited by sunsfan1357; 02-14-2012 at 06:14 PM.

I rule the local playground daballa13's Avatar

I think with you being a noob and the results that most beginners make regardless of their training approach or style is enough for you to make decent gains for a good 6-10 weeks. However, what I have seen with a couple friends is that the noob gains do happen but they aren't as vast as the noob expects. Most people get in the gym with very unrealistic goals of being able to bench 2 plates in a couple months, etc. For this reason I believe its best to start off your training with a proven program that emphasizes strength training and has continual overload as you add weight gradually on all the major lifts over time. Once you get strong you can do all the bicep curls and dumbbell fly's you want but get the strength part down first. I really recommend doing a program like Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 for a period of 6-12 months. If you want more info. on the program I can tell you, I really recommend hopping on a proven program to start your training. Regardless of your training method's, consistency is the biggest key on your quest to the physique that you want. DON'T EVER QUIT!

I rule the local playground daballa13's Avatar

Deadlifts are by no means a substitute for squats. I think SS does overkill with the squats.