Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Apple computers...help me out..

Okay, finally thinking about making the switch. I know NOTHING about Mac's. All I know is I am in a foreign country and want to buy a mac laptop. I see people selling imacs, airs, ibooks, macbooks, all sorts of things. Don't want to spend 3 hours googlin it all and learning it if someone can help me out quickly.

Uses:
    -Plug it into my 27 inch lcd monitor via hdmi or dvi simply and not lose quality. (most important)
    -Surf the web, watch 1080p movies, do work (Excel, Word, basic programs)
    -Video and picture editing (but extremely basic)

Ideally, I want something that costs less than 700-1k max (used of course). Can you torrent files on a mac? The screen size isn't too important as almost always I'll use it just at home (with external monitor) and would rather have something small to take with me rather than something big.

What you guys suggest/why/what's a good used price for it? What's so great about apple laptops?

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: Apple computers...help me out..

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Okay, finally thinking about making the switch. I know NOTHING about Mac's. All I know is I am in a foreign country and want to buy a mac laptop. I see people selling imacs, airs, ibooks, macbooks, all sorts of things. Don't want to spend 3 hours googlin it all and learning it if someone can help me out quickly.

Uses:
    -Plug it into my 27 inch lcd monitor via hdmi or dvi simply and not lose quality. (most important)
    -Surf the web, watch 1080p movies, do work (Excel, Word, basic programs)
    -Video and picture editing (but extremely basic)

Ideally, I want something that costs less than 700-1k max (used of course). Can you torrent files on a mac? The screen size isn't too important as almost always I'll use it just at home (with external monitor) and would rather have something small to take with me rather than something big.

What you guys suggest/why/what's a good used price for it? What's so great about apple laptops?
    You can just buy the most affordable Macbook.

You can do everything you mentioned on a Macbook (or other Mac computers). Yes you can download torrents, you can run your MS suite (Excel, Word etc), if you must run some Windows only apps you can run them either natively via BootCamp or virtually with Parallels or VM Fusion.

There's many great image editing apps for OS X, and iMovie is a decent video editing app that's built into every Mac.

MacBooks usually get rated as the best Windows laptops as well. Performance in MacBooks usually beats windows based laptops with similar specs (at times beats better specced pc laptops). But imo what truly separates MacBooks vs its counterparts is the trackpad, and it's not even close. Macbook's trackpad destroys its competition.

Another reason worth getting a Macbook over another iem, is due to macbook's reliability and dependability. There's less maintenance involved as well, which makes the user's job easier.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    You can just buy the most affordable Macbook.

You can do everything you mentioned on a Macbook (or other Mac computers). Yes you can download torrents, you can run your MS suite (Excel, Word etc), if you must run some Windows only apps you can run them either natively via BootCamp or virtually with Parallels or VM Fusion.

There's many great image editing apps for OS X, and iMovie is a decent video editing app that's built into every Mac.

MacBooks usually get rated as the best Windows laptops as well. Performance in MacBooks usually beats windows based laptops with similar specs (at times beats better specced pc laptops). But imo what truly separates MacBooks vs its counterparts is the trackpad, and it's not even close. Macbook's trackpad destroys its competition.

Another reason worth getting a Macbook over another iem, is due to macbook's reliability and dependability. There's less maintenance involved as well, which makes the user's job easier.
    Okay. Thanks

What year model would be 'good enough?' I'm planning to buy used.

For example, is a Macbook Pro 2009..
    4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 500 gig hard drive, OS X version 10.7, MS Office 2011, etc. for $800 a good deal?

Is it true that mac's can't get viruses?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    FALSE, viruses are made to affect as many computers as possible.

so they are usually made for PC. its not impossible to get a virus for a mac

Okay. Thanks

4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 500 gig hard drive, OS X version 10.7, MS Office 2011, etc. for $800 a good deal?
    That's what mine has except my hard drive is the 128 gig version.

Great deal. I paid 999 for it then(which was 100 off because of my student discount)

You could probably get a mac pro for slightly cheaper, but since it has MS office that's a big plus.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    You CAN, BUT it's almost impossible I've had mine since fall 09, and haven't had any viruses or anything.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

I'm interested as well. I think I may go buy one today actually. Convince me.

I need it to surf the web and use Excel, Word etc. I assume that's not hard.
    Last edited by Balla_Status; 02-15-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Rumor has it the Mac pros are getting refreshed in a couple months, if I were you I'd wait.

iMac just got a refresh last fall, so it's good for a couple years design wise.

As for the Air I have no news for that, and I've never used one either.

Okay. Thanks

I guess it sounds like a good deal, if that's the best you can find, sure.

It all depends on your budget tho.

The thing about Macs (not Mac's people!) is that they last long, and their resale value is great.

Magic Johnson

Yes, you can do all of the above. I've got my Mac hooked up to a 23 inch Samsung LED monitor, and it's great for watching movies or just surfing the web.

I need it to surf the web and use Excel, Word etc. I assume that's not hard.

Unless you do specialized 3D graphic shit on your computer, you can do 99% of the shit you did on pc on a Mac.

Naturally, there's Mac versions of many Windows apps, and there's very good quality Mac only apps alternatives as well, for just about anything.

But like I mentioned, you can always run Windows if you have too, or Linux. But basic shit like Office, can be ran on Mac OS X natively, since Windows makes OS X versions of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Rumor has it the Mac pros are getting refreshed in a couple months, if I were you I'd wait.

iMac just got a refresh last fall, so it's good for a couple years design wise.

As for the Air I have no news for that, and I've never used one either.
    Everything gets refreshed after a couple months it seems like. It almost seems like it's never worth it to buy a prouct. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Yes, you can do all of the above. I've got my Mac hooked up to a 23 inch Samsung LED monitor, and it's great for watching movies or just surfing the web.
    Do you have Plex?

If you don't, you have to get it now.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Unless you do specialized 3D graphic shit on your computer, you can do 99% of the shit you did on pc on a Mac.

Naturally, there's Mac versions of many Windows apps, and there's very good quality Mac only apps alternatives as well, for just about anything.

But like I mentioned, you can always run Windows if you have too, or Linux. But basic shit like Office, can be ran on Mac OS X natively, since Windows makes OS X versions of it.
    Cool. I'll probably just run the office software on it. I don't want to run windows on a mac. I just want the office software.

The only thing that would be a bitch is transferring all my music to the apple laptop.

Everything gets refreshed after a couple months it seems like. It almost seems like it's never worth it to buy a prouct. Thanks for the heads up.
    I meant externally like how macbook pros are currently aluminum they may switch the casing up with the refresh, usually apple keeps the same build for their products for awhile. Just because it's a closed system they release phones, laptops, desktops, etc yearly.