Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Default Re: Apple computers...help me out..

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I meant externally like how macbook pros are currently aluminum they may switch the casing up with the refresh, usually apple keeps the same build for their products for awhile. Just because it's a closed system they release phones, laptops, desktops, etc yearly.
    What do you mean externally? Are you talking in terms of how a macbook looks?

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    What do you mean externally? Are you talking in terms of how a macbook looks?
    Yeah.

If that matters to you, you should wait

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Yeah.

If that matters to you, you should wait
    Yeah, it doesn't really matter to me. I know steve jobs really cares about aesthetics...for me, not as much.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Is it true that mac's can't get viruses?
    I have a feeling this question is just baiting another virus rant on Macs, but oh well...

In short...

Can Macs get a virus? Yes.

Will that happen? Highly unlikely.

Are the chances less than that of a Windows PC? Absolutely.

It's security through obscurity, but it works just fine for most users.

I've had my Macbook pro for 2 years now. Recently added an iPad 2. I'll never go back to PCs.

Macs cost more, but they give you more also. I have macbook, I even partitioned my hard drive and split it to run mac and pc. I think my mac runs pc programs better than most pcs do. It runs better than my wife's pc

if you can pay 1500 for a mac, you'll be satisfied with all that you'll get. Plus their service is great. My cord stopped working for some reason so I went to the Apple store and they gave me another one free. Macs are more simple to use also.

try a mac, you'll like it

I've always been an apple hater but I'm looking to buy a new labtop/desktop and I really like the way the new iMac looks. I can't see myself dishing out 1k+ for a desktop though.....

Macs give you less for more. You pay a premium for a dictatorship so you can gawk about being virus free or have a pretty ui because you're too big of an idiot to have the same for less on a PC.

That's great for my mom or little brother but I don't want a fischer price computer with a nice paint job.

Power is freedom and choice; gimme a pc every day all day.

My PC will smoke any Mac you can throw at it for about half the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Macs give you less for more. You pay a premium for a dictatorship so you can gawk about being virus free or have a pretty ui because you're too big of an idiot to have the same for less on a PC.

That's great for my mom or little brother but I don't want a fischer price computer with a nice paint job.

I agree with you for once. Apple is a lifestyle and Apple users don't mind paying the premium to be part of the lifestyle.

To be fair, their customer support is great from what I heard.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Do you have Plex?

If you don't, you have to get it now.
    I have no idea what Plex is... details?

Magic Johnson

Holy ****ing shit. Thanks andgar.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    Holy ****ing shit. Thanks andgar.
    They also have the mobile version as well. So you can basically stream content from your HD from anywhere with internet connection.

There's also skins that you can add to it and customize, plugins for just about anything from pron to MTV (if you like that). It's basically like XBMC, but created to run natively on a Mac.

And since you hook up your computer to the tv, I really recommend getting some apps (if you have an idevice) or a Magic Trackpad + bluetooth keyboard (I have them both along with the shit that unites them). You'd be able to control everything from your couch.

What about just trying something different?

Agreed, I have a laptop and a PC. I dual boot my laptop with XP and Ubuntu (for C programming) used it for 3 years and its still going strong. Had my PC for about that long as well, just installed windows 7 pro and installed a new bad ass video card for when I feel like gaming, no problems what so ever. If I get a virus I clear it within the day. Basically if you're at all competent and are willing to take care of your computer there is absolutely no advantage to having a mac.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALBballer
    I've always been an apple hater but I'm looking to buy a new labtop/desktop and I really like the way the new iMac looks. I can't see myself dishing out 1k+ for a desktop though.....

I was a big time Apple hater as well. Hated anything related to Apple (not sure why, I guess I hated the 'culture' around them more than anything), but everybody around me had a Mac. I stayed with my custom built pc proudly. But I kept noticing how their Macs were different, in a good way. It was simple basic stuff like installing programs, deleting stuff, the dock, and other stuff that kinda caught my attention. They never seemed to have any issues, and things just worked smooth for them. My boy convinced me to buy a Mac Mini, and I haven't gone back since.

Naturally, Windows has evolved since the XP days, and it's added more features and improved in other key areas. But I still don't see the dramatic change that'll make me wanna switch back. I tried Ubuntu briefly, but it felt unfinished overall.

Try a Mac, and if you don't like it, you can return it or sell it online. Apple products have a higher resell value. But give it a chance (around 2.5 weeks or so). It usually takes 1 week to sorta figure out the basics, and another week and a half to get used to it and some of the apps that replace your fav Windows apps.

If any of you need help, just let me know.