Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: This is why i am a vegan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Thunder
    And a bear would eat a human in a heart beat if he was hungry.
    It's carnivorous instinct, of which human beings have none. Go and catch and a rabbit and tear it apart with your bear hands and eat all flesh, innards, eyes, and bones. That's what carnivores can do.

Why do humans have to be sympathetic to other animals that we need for survival? They surely aren't sympathetic to us. They just can't kill us cause we are too smart (most of the time)
    Jesus. Re-read that, please. Why do we have to be sympathetic? Are you a robot, or just soulless? As the ones in power, it is our duty to lessen the suffering of all sentient beings. Pets are protected, why are pigs, cows, chickens, and turkeys an exception? It just doesn't make sense. And to think we need animal flesh, blood, and tendons to survive... you couldn't be more wrong. Animal products are actually killing people, while plants are saving lives. The research and facts are out there to back it up.

And exactly, we are too smart. Which is exactly why we should use our abilities to reason and feel empathy for these tortured innocent animals.

Classic case of overthinking, itt.
    Lack of thinking on your part. I am vegan because I DO think. I'm not trying to attack you, sorry if it seems that way, but the lack of empathy and compassion for innocent and suffering being fills me with rage.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle

The pigs are living in the matrix

NBA rookie of the year

It'd be senseless not to kill animals.

Ever heard of over-population? Why do you think we have deer hunting season in American? Deer are harbors for disease and dangerous (vehicle accidents being #1) to our society.
    It's a big problem with people too. To the murder mobile!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    It's a big problem with people too. To the murder mobile!

Nice straw man, but tobacco, processed foods, and motor vehicles keep elbow room in the states.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    yes but there are obviously grades of cruelty. the options aren't just "kill no animals" or "kill them all in a brutal fashion."
    I am obviously always in support of minimizing suffering, but it is still mass genocide of epic proportions.

people today have been desensitized. if you grew up on a farm and had been around this kind of thing all of your life you probably wouldn't bat an eyelid. at the very least if you were living in tribal times and had to go on a hunt you wouldn't care about killing an animal for food - the problem is though hunting food takes time and resources, a better and more efficient idea is to catch the animals and breed them for food no? and the cycle begins.
    People have been desensitized in a sense, but I guarantee 80%, it not more, of the population couldn't watch that video link in its entirety. People aren't bad (well, some are obviously) but they have blinders on. Ignorance is bliss, and there are few areas where that rings more true than factory farming.

Not to mention, factory farming contributes more pollutants than all of the automobile pollution around the world combined. And the number one reason humans are cutting down the rain forests? Factory farms.

So by eating animals products, we are killing ourselves, killing the planet, and killing the animals. It just doesn't make sense.

NBA rookie of the year

Nice straw man, but tobacco, processed foods, and motor vehicles keep elbow room in the states.
    Not as fun as the Murder Mobile though.

yummy

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    It just doesn't make sense.
    well it does, short term profit and tasty tasty meat.

but seriously i do agree with what you are saying, and i think serious reforms to the industry need to happen. however the part where i have no qualms is the simple moral question of killing an animal to eat it. disregarding industry practices and looking at it on just that level i am fine with it and i quite enjoy meat (but i don't eat that much actually).

Hume>Kunt.

Pretty sad. Still gonna eat meat though.

Immediately thought of this video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tFxMd572UwI

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    well it does, short term profit and tasty tasty meat.

but seriously i do agree with what you are saying, and i think serious reforms to the industry need to happen. however the part where i have no qualms is the simple moral question of killing an animal to eat it. disregarding industry practices and looking at it on just that level i am fine with it and i quite enjoy meat (but i don't eat that much actually).
    This is a cruel response, and I'm really not as awful as I may seem in this thread but....

Thinking economically, can the US afford such reforms at the time being? In a day where we live with the highest quality food inspection/production...can we really bootstrap the industry and kill revenue and hurt US GDP?

food for thought..

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So by eating animals products, we are killing ourselves
    Except that we are living longer than ever. Medical advances and things to keep us safe from nature in general far outdistance our unhealthy eating habits far as impact on lifespan.

And people who dont eat meat dont live longer because they dont eat meat. They livel onger because they tend to be health minded people who take care of themselves. Im quite sure the average vegan is gonna exercise more than the average american. And be less likely to smoke. And generally be a do nothing fatass. Its not the meat...its the person deciding not to eat it. People who eat meat and take care of themselves are perfectly healthy.

killing the planet
    The planet is not going to die. Worst case...we wipe ourselves out. The planet is cool.

and killing the animals.
    And? Animals are in the food chain. Have been for billions of years. Just because in the last few thousand years a few people decided not to eat meat doesnt mean its the natural order of things. We dont have canine teeth to grind up roots and our species didnt survive on eating grasses.

No we dont currently NEED meat. We dont really need any individual kind of food. But that doesnt mean we should stop eating everything but water, vitamins, and whatever bit of other matter needed to keep our hearts beating. Factory farms suck but there isnt a better way im aware of to meet the demand. If people only ate al ittlem eat as we did for generations maybe then...but not as the world is now. Not the "first" world at least.

Animals on the bottom of the food chain are prey. Always were. Always will be. If we arent eating deer something else will. They arent all nervous wrecks ready to bolt at a moment notice because they fear human hunters. Millions of years of being prey makes them that way.

The extreme majority of animals born in the wild never even grow up. Its a harsh world. But its the world we have.

It just doesn't make sense.
    Eat a nice steak. It starts to make sense.

For the record...I hate the idea of hunting for sport. hate it. Feels weak to me to take a gun and shoot something that has no idea you are there and call it sport. But im not gonna say someone who kills to eat is a bad person because of it.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 02-16-2012 at 10:05 PM.

I refuse to be a vegan and this is why:

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

No we dont currently NEED meat. We dont really need any individual kind of food. But that doesnt mean we should stop eating everything but water, vitamins, and whatever bit of other matter needed to keep our hearts beating. Factory farms suck but there isnt a better way im aware of to meet the demand. If people only ate al ittlem eat as we did for generations maybe then...but not as the world is now. Not the "first" world at least.

Animals on the bottom of the food chain are prey. Always were. Always will be. If we are eating deer something else will. They arent all nervous wrecks ready to bolt at a moment notice because they fear human hunters. Millions of years of being prey makes them that way.

The extreme majority of animals born in the wild never even grow up. Its a harsh world. But its the world we have.

Eat a nice steak. It starts to make sense.
    hmm....They were always prey, they will always be prey. Good way to solve the philosophical debate.

I don't really eat pork like that. I don't understand some people with their weird "ill pay more money if the animal lived a happier less lethal life" either ways your going to eat it hypocrite. if your truly against it then be a vegan. I'm against animal cruelty. paying for a $30 meal at a steak house and I won't eat it because the chef told me the animal was one of the above pics will I eat it? yea wtf. will it make me feel bad? yes. not to the extreme.