Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    <3 LeBron <3 Heat <3 The Choken One's Avatar

Default Re: ESPN removes ***** in the armor headline, apologizes.

lol'd hard when I heard about this.

ESPN always brings the lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by The Choken One
    lol'd hard when I heard about this.

ESPN always brings the lulz.

for all of you that can have a chuckle about this. For the record, Espn should be scrutinized heavily for this.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    Maybe because of the history of the word maybe? I always get a kick out of how people get stuck on stupid when it's not their race that's being made fun of, yet pitch a b!tch when the slurs and stereotypes start coming their way.
    I think a did a bad job explaining why I thought that was funny. I just think it's hilarious how ignorant ESPN is pretending to be, and how they're acting like it was a mistake. They knew what they were doing. Anyone who's got an IQ above 10 knows what that word means.

I don't give a shit who's being made made fun of. I just think each situation should be handled the same way, and in this case I don't think it is. Like I said, had ESPN wrote, "LeBron got whipped" every damn news channel would be reporting how the world is such a terrible place.

<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3 The Choken One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by derb2k2
    for all of you that can have a chuckle about this. For the record, Espn should be scrutinized heavily for this.
    Agreed. There's no excuse for letting something like this by.

But the fact that it did...is pretty damn funny.

Magic Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    As a white person there is nothing that could be said to me about being white that could possibly offend me. Anyone who got legitimately upset about that headline is probably taking things too seriously and is no fun whatsoever.
    I don't blame Asians or even Blacks or Hispanics for getting upset. It was an ignorant thing to do and to say they're being overly sensitive is stupid. I do, however, think the situation is just hilarious because of how ignorant ESPN is acting and how every damn reporting unit seems to be pulling these types of stunts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Choken One
    Agreed. There's no excuse for letting something like this by.

But the fact that it did...is pretty damn funny.
    Yeah, the stupidity of using such a phrase by a so-called "worldwide leader in sports" is what had me laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    Move to a country where you are a minority group and I'd bet money that you wouldn't feel the same way.
    Nah, I don't give a shit about race and if someone wants to be racist towards me I'm not gonna sweat it, not gonna get mad because someone else is ignorant.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Nah, I don't give a shit about race and if someone wants to be racist towards me I'm not gonna sweat it, not gonna get mad because someone else is ignorant.
    A single person or group on the street being racist towards you is a bit different than a National Sports Network, seen and read around the world, being racist toward you. Stop being so naive.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    I think a did a bad job explaining why I thought that was funny. I just think it's hilarious how ignorant ESPN is pretending to be, and how they're acting like it was a mistake. They knew what they were doing. Anyone who's got an IQ above 10 knows what that word means.

I don't give a shit who's being made made fun of. I just think each situation should be handled the same way, and in this case I don't think it is. Like I said, had ESPN wrote, "LeBron got whipped" every damn news channel would be reporting how the world is such a terrible place.
    responses towards incidents involving different racial and ethnic groups in America will vary because of a number of factors.

Jews and Blacks have organizations that have been fighting against "situations" like this for decades.

These organizations exert different types of pressure to curtail blatantly racist media "incidents".

I'm sure organizations protecting Asians exist and exert pressure also, just not to the degree that the other groups do.(AAJA is mentioned during the whitlock comments)

You will see depictions of and slurs towards certain religious and ethnic groups in the media that just absolutely would NEVER fly about others because those groups aren't represented by organizations with power to exert that pressure.....or groups that would rather not do/say anything about it.

And because of that...there is no deterrent to prevent it from happening.

I include in that group Muslims, Catholics , Asians, Italians and Irish,,,Latinos to some extent too. I bet off the top of your head, you can think of direct and indirect disrespect shown towards these groups in print, tv and film

*Gays used to be part of the second group....now they are part of the first group.....

I don't get peopel who keep saying "Well, with my friends we joke like this". Yes, we all do. But this is not your friends. This is a national media outlet. You can say things with your friends you can't bust out in a meeting at work, and ESPN is 1,000 times that, they have to watch what they say.

Basically, for some reason it's ok for the media to make fun of Jeremy Lin by race, and that's gotta stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    A single person or group on the street being racist towards you is a bit different than a National Sports Network, seen and read around the world, being racist toward you. Stop being so naive.

I'm sure Jeremy got a kick out of it. Or at least didn't give a shit.

Rivalries Never Die Faptastrophe's Avatar

Can't wait til Team USA Basketball visits France, allowing ESPN to break out its Jay-Z/Kanye headline!

[COLOR="white"]N*ggas In Paris
    [/COLOR]

Banned

As a white person there is nothing that could be said to me about being white that could possibly offend me. Anyone who got legitimately upset about that headline is probably taking things too seriously and is no fun whatsoever.
    Wild guess here but I don't think white people enjoy being called Aryan scum or being a descendant of nazis and treated differently for it.

trailor trash and cracker ya thats not gonna offend any normal person, but nazi blood probably will.

Statement from the Asian American Journalist Association

http://www.aaja.org/news/mediawatch/2012_02_18/
    ---------------------------------------------------------

AAJA to ESPN: Saying '***** in the Armor' Is Inexcusable

February 18, 2012

Dear ESPN:

New York Knicks guard Jeremy Lin had a bad night Friday. Regrettably, so did ESPN. Using "a ***** in the armor" to describe Lin's poor performance was inexcusable.

We at the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) find it hard to fathom how such an offensive headline appeared on your publishing platforms. The phrase was even spoken on-air.

We are glad ESPN has recognized its mistake, and we appreciate the quick apology for the transgression.

Many people, not just in Asian American communities, are shocked that a news company with a long tradition of excellence would use a racial epithet. It's particularly galling because of the weeks of discussion about Lin, his heritage and even the wave of outright racism surrounding his stardom.

We are particularly concerned that an organization as large as yours did not have the proper checks in place to prevent the mistake. It is hard to fathom how editors on so many of your platforms failed to uphold your normally high standards.

Of course, it disappoints us to see one of our most valued and committed partners in diversity stumble. As you well know, this incident does not live up to the Leadership in Diversity Award that AAJA bestowed on ESPN in 2010. But we trust that you will transform this incident into a teachable moment.

We understand and appreciate that the offensive headline has been removed. But that's not enough. We would like to understand how it happened and what actions are being taken by ESPN to make sure such missteps do not recur. Your internal review could be instructive for others in our industry who want to improve the systems they have -- or need to put in place -- to ensure that fairness, accuracy and good taste are reflected in the news coverage of our communities.

As always, AAJA stands with you in our shared mission of diversity in America's newsrooms, and we welcome an opportunity to discuss how we can help you and your employees treat our communities with the fairness and respect they deserve.

Sincerely,

Doris Truong, AAJA National President
    Bobby Caina Calvan and Jam Sardar, AAJA MediaWatch Co-Chairs