Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Got caught plagiarizing

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    your a lucky son of bitch. most professors give you a 0 on your paper and if your really unlucky they send you to dean and you could be kicked out for a semester
    The paper was only worth 20 points out of 1000 total points for the semester. If it was a bigger paper I might have been screwed. At least I'll be more careful now.

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    The paper was only worth 20 points out of 1000 total points for the semester. If it was a bigger paper I might have been screwed. At least I'll be more careful now.

so that 2% of your total grade. yah, then i wouldnt have been that worried to begin with. a professor has to be a total dick to get serious about that.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Plagiarizing Wikipedia?

What is this? I don't even..
    This. What kind of defense is "I was going to cite Wikipedia but forgot"? Wikipedia isn't a legitimate source for a paper, and most reputable institutions have policies that align with that fact.

Next, what kind of idiot cites from the most frequently searched fact-finding website in the world?

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    so that 2% of your total grade. yah, then i wouldnt have been that worried to begin with. a professor has to be a total dick to get serious about that.
    It's not a matter of what percentage it's worth. IIRC, where I went to school, a plagiarism offense could earn you an F for the semester, regardless of what the paper was worth.

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    I'm in college and I got caught plagiarizing from wikipedia on a small assignment in one of my classes. I have to meet with the teacher. My plan is to say that I accidentally submitted an unfinished copy of my paper (it was submitted online) and that I had proper citations and quotes on my final copy. Any suggestions?
    ****ing nub.

lol. That's pathetic, really.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    This. What kind of defense is "I was going to cite Wikipedia but forgot"? Wikipedia isn't a legitimate source for a paper, and most reputable institutions have policies that align with that fact.

Next, what kind of idiot cites from the most frequently searched fact-finding website in the world?
    wow at 11,111 post. That's cool.

Anyway, the key to using wiki is to cite the sources of wiki.

-Smak

Decent college freshman

What kind of instructor allows you to cite wiki?

Great college starter Quickening's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hoopaddict08
    What kind of instructor allows you to cite wiki?
    He means citing the references at the bottom of the wiki page, as they will be links to legitimate sources.

I think.

I used to buy papers all the time. Bought one for an intro level Philosophy course and was questioned by the teacher because the paper had some seriously advanced shit in it. Forgot to proofread that paragraph I guess but I ended up bullshitting and explaining it so all worked out well....moral of the story? Proofread the purchased/plagiarized papers before you hand em in.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    How does anybody plagiarize from wikipedia when the stupid cites are at the bottom of the page. Is one more additional cut and paste too much work? If you were my student I'd fail you.
    I could be wrong, but I think you're supposed to cite your original source. For instance, say whoever wrote the article cited a source from Some Prestigious Science Journal . . except they made a typo somewhere. You copy the quotation verbatim, typo included, and include the citation mentioned in the article you read on Wikipedia. Still plagiarism and you can get busted for it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    plagiarism: the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work, as by not crediting the author
    The person or person(s) that created the Wikipedia article had to gather the information and cite them. When you cite the original source, you are attempting to imitate the thoughts/actions of the author(s) without doing the work.

Anyways, phew, didn't mean to be that long-winded or make it seem like I am coming down on you in particular. But anyone following your advice should realize that they can also get popped for that. Maybe it worked for you, but career paths can close over stuff like this.

Directed at no one in particular: Don't be ****ing stupid. Write your own damn papers. Shit, you might even learn something.
    Last edited by reppy; 02-29-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Why is it so hard just to add, or remove, or change a few words in the text? 2-3 minute job at most, and would save you all this trouble you're in.

As for what you should do now, buy kneepads.

Quote Originally Posted by ukballer
    Why is it so hard just to add, or remove, or change a few words in the text? 2-3 minute job at most, and would save you all this trouble you're in.

As for what you should do now, buy kneepads.
    im pretty sure most colleges have pretty advanced programmes that will still be able to figure out when you've copied something, even if you change bits

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    im pretty sure most colleges have pretty advanced programmes that will still be able to figure out when you've copied something, even if you change bits
    Maybe so, but even taking 10 minutes just to re-write the text completely but still have the basic principles, I wouldn't exactly consider it hard.

Banned

Plagarism is the most overrated and cryed about subject all time. I can understand it being bad to copy an artists painting exactly, but why the hell does it matter if we don't change the wording of a definition or something like that?

what if you dont plagarize, and you happen to write a couple sentences that are pretty similar to somthing else?

you cant prove you didnt plagarize, but you really didnt.