Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: How did Smashing Pumpkins become so underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by blablabla
    how can anybody like zeitgeist that album is horrible
    Doomsday clock, bleeding the orchid, tarantula, starz, bring the light, I love these songs. Zeitgeist can't even be horrible when there's nothing new in its genre to even compare it to.

They are UNDERRATED, no doubt.

Billy Corgan top 10 rocker of all-time......... nay.

Bullet With Butterfly Wings is such a good jam. I'd recommend anyone that song when they're pissed off.

Nirvana goes past music, they define a generation. When you think 90's you think grunge rock and when you think grunge you think Nirvana.

Also, for people who were growing up during the height of these rock bands Nirvana had way more credibility. Nirvana was 'cool' to a wide variety of people and the band was respected by most.
    Now the Smashing Pumpkins while they have good music and were popular in their day too, they were also kind of weak. At the time if you were rocking a SP tee that was kinda lame. The Pumpkins were more on the younger preppy/nerdy side of the rock scale.

When I think of NIRVANA, I think of OVERRATED. I'm completely aware of how 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' revolutionized rock. It did. It was a great, unique song. Like nothing else we've ever heard.

But that about does it for me. A few songs here and there I can take but that's about it. I think the overall simplicity of their songs is what does it. It's too boring for me. Cobain's voice just makes me wanna kill someone after I hear it too often.

Rolling Stones had Cobain in like their top 15 greatest guitarists of all-time... give me a break.

If you think Nirvana is overrated, then that just means that you really weren't around for it. I was 17 in 1991/92 and have a frame of reference. To this day I have never seen anything in pop culture that compares to the grunge revolution that Nirvana triggered. The rock and hair metal bands of the 80's/early 90's were killed practically overnight. Its wasn't a slow, protracted death like hip hop is currently experiencing, it was a bullet to the head.

Listening to the music today doesn't give you the full effect of those times. I understand if a teenager or twenty-something listening to Nirvana today thinks "eh, what's the big deal?" There are some things that you just need to "be there" for.

Imagine if some new band today playing a new kind of music released a single that started getting massive airplay despite not being of the typical pop styles prevelant today (basically hip hop and bubble gum pop). Now imagine if that band and its music catches fire and kicks open the door for similar bands and they start selling millions of cd's to the point that a new word (example: grunge) has to be coined to describe their sound, and that they even bring about a signature wardrobe look. And at the same time, all the pop and hip hop performers go from selling millions of cd's to selling nothing practically overnight and become the butt of jokes. If you can imagine all that, then you can possibly understand the impact that Nirvana had back in '91/92.

Also consider this: everything before "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is considerd "classic rock"" and everything since is considered part of the modern era. Truly one of the greatest watershed moments in the history of rock.
    Last edited by JohnnySic; 03-06-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Sic is wrong on many points. And if Pearl Jam, Metallica, Soundgarden, or any of those big bands would have blown their brains out their respective bands would be put in the same light.

Even then, most people are exaggerating their current influence because you grew up during that time. Most people don't give a shit about Nirvana these days. They have average airplay and catalog sales.

Sic is wrong on many points. And if Pearl Jam, Metallica, Soundgarden, or any of those big bands would have blown their brains out their respective bands would be put in the same light.
    Which points exactly?

Eddie Vedder himself once said that he doubted anyone outside of Seattle would have heard of Pearl Jam had it not been for Nirvana.

Good college starter

Tooday is da gwwweatest!!!! DAEEE!!!

Banned

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Just heard about them last week. Not impressed at all.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_chosen_1
    I agree that SP is underrated.

Comparing SP to Nirvana is kinda hard, but truth be told, while Nirvana was great their lasting power has more to due with the fact that they were breaking ground and changing our thoughts about music and of course a tragic death.

SP>Nirvana
    OMG you fakin asshole. Future negs will hunt you forever. How the **** could you underrate Nirvana that bad? Damn stupid.

Banned

nirvana is nothing but white trash depressing music. cobain moans into a mic in different tones and people think its music

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    If you think Nirvana is overrated, then that just means that you really weren't around for it. I was 17 in 1991/92 and have a frame of reference. To this day I have never seen anything in pop culture that compares to the grunge revolution that Nirvana triggered. The rock and hair metal bands of the 80's/early 90's were killed practically overnight. Its wasn't a slow, protracted death like hip hop is currently experiencing, it was a bullet to the head.

Listening to the music today doesn't give you the full effect of those times. I understand if a teenager or twenty-something listening to Nirvana today thinks "eh, what's the big deal?" There are some things that you just need to "be there" for.

Imagine if some new band today playing a new kind of music released a single that started getting massive airplay despite not being of the typical pop styles prevelant today (basically hip hop and bubble gum pop). Now imagine if that band and its music catches fire and kicks open the door for similar bands and they start selling millions of cd's to the point that a new word (example: grunge) has to be coined to describe their sound, and that they even bring about a signature wardrobe look. And at the same time, all the pop and hip hop performers go from selling millions of cd's to selling nothing practically overnight and become the butt of jokes. If you can imagine all that, then you can possibly understand the impact that Nirvana had back in '91/92.

Also consider this: everything before "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is considerd "classic rock"" and everything since is considered part of the modern era. Truly one of the greatest watershed moments in the history of rock.
    Greatest post ever.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I don't understand why bands such as Nirvana are still immortalized while even better bands like the Pumpkins are forgotten.

There's your first mistake....

Quote Originally Posted by linZoMourning
    nirvana is nothing but white trash depressing music. cobain moans into a mic in different tones and people think its music
    What are you talking about? They have great fun songs too. Lithium for example, lyrics are sad as bobcats but its still fun to listen to it.