Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default Why do people care about Height w/o Shoes?

Unless you're in their house and they are wearing socks there is no point in worrying about their height w/o shoes.

Although that may be a player's "actual height" it won't be their "public height" because they have to wear shoes in the NBA,so what does Carmelo being 6'6 without shoes matter?

Default Re: Why do people care about Height w/o Shoes?

I think they feel like that, because it remove possibility of players inflating their height by wearing big shoes. Personally though I think height itself (with or without shoes) is overated because you don't play basketball with the top of you're head. Standing reach is more important to me.

If the player is wearing SHOX shoes or shoes that add an inch or more to their height are able to exaggerate and possibly add 2-3 inches to their actual height.

Melo is 6'6"? Seriously? He has to be taller than that. He doesn't look 6'6" to me at all. I know Kobe is listed as 6'6" but unless if Melo's shoes are 2 inches thicker than Kobe's, I don't see how Melo could be the same height as Kobe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Melo is 6'6"? Seriously? He has to be taller than that. He doesn't look 6'6" to me at all. I know Kobe is listed as 6'6" but unless if Melo's shoes are 2 inches thicker than Kobe's, I don't see how Melo could be the same height as Kobe.
    Because Kobe probably isn't 6'6 without shoes.

Good college starter Valliant13's Avatar

Because the shoes some players are measured in, are not the shoes they play in. If all players were measured in the same shoes, than it would not be an issue...but when there can be such discrepancy, and gaming to system to inflate height, bare foot listing are more relevant.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

They don't care about it. It provides an unaltered comparison of all the players. Not every shoe adds the same amount of height, obviously. This is the ONLY reason they do it, to get a real comparison between players.

And yes standing reach and wingspan are more important.

I don't get why people would care about height with shoes.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

It also gives a truer read on length. Like the fact that Melo has a 7-0 and change wingspan means a lot more when you consider he's 6-6 and change versus being listed at 6-8 with the shoes. That wingspan/height ratio gives a better read on length.

Very good NBA starter

Kobe is not 6'6 tho, i would say hes about 6'5.

you can tell because in the finals Paul Pierce had about an inch or so on him.

NBA rookie of the year

Because someones height is their height without shoes. The in shoes measurement is stupid. They only added that to the pre-draft camp because Larry Johnson b*tched after he measured only 6'5 1/2 as did other players".

Players are given the option of choosing their heights without shoes or in shoes heights.

Some big name players choose their height without shoes aswell.

These measurements are from the pre-draft camp.

Shaq: height w/o shoes: 7'1", listed height: 7'1"
    Grant Hill: height w/o shoes: 6'8", listed height: 6'8"
    Kevin Garnett: height w/o shoes: 6'11", listed height: 6'11"
    Vince Carter: height w/o shoes: 6'5.5", listed height: 6'6"
    Elton Brand: height w/o shoes: 6'8.25", height w/ shoes: listed height: 6'8"
    Shawn Marion: height w/o shoes: 6'6.5", height w/ shoes: 6'7.75", listed height: 6'7"
    Dwyane Wade: height w/o shoes: 6'3.75", height w/ shoes: 6'4.75", listed height: 6'4"
    Chris Bosh: height w/o shoes: 6'10.25", height w/ shoes: 6'11.5", listed height: 6'10"
    Kevin Durant: height w/o shoes: 6'9", height w/ shoes: 6'10.25", listed height 6'9"

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...=0&pos=0&sort=

Then consider KG grew to 6'11 3/4" without shoes but is still listed 6'11" and Bosh grew to 6'11" without shoes but is still listed 6'10". Andrew Bynum also grew to 7'1" without shoes but is still listed 7'0". Pau Gasol is 7'0.5" without shoes too but listed 7'0".

The whole "they play in shoes" argument is stupid.

I am just under 5'8" but I work in workboots that add atleast 2 inches. So if someone at work asks me how tall I am should I saw 5'10" and use the logic "I work in these boots so it counts to my height".

NFL players play in shoes and helmets but they aren't measured in them.

With the new in shoes measurement players can wear shoes much bigger than the ones they actually play in to the pre-draft camp. Spencer Hawes measured 6'10.5" without shoes and 7'0.75" with them.

So I've seen some articles saying "Spencer Hawes measured about 7'1" at the pre-draft camp" that's misleading because if you saw a 1992 article it would say "Shaq measured 7'1" at the pre-draft camp" but they are not near the same height. Shaq is 2.5 inches taller.

Height shouldn't be subjective it should be a simple fact, measuring in shoes doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Because Kobe probably isn't 6'6 without shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
    Kobe is not 6'6 tho, i would say hes about 6'5.

you can tell because in the finals Paul Pierce had about an inch or so on him.
    Yeah Kobe has claimed to be 6'4" or 6'4 3/4".

[QUOTE]Upon meeting Bryant two Fridays ago, O'Neal Mitchell of Tenaha, Texas, surmised that Bryant wasn't as tall as advertised. Bryant, listed at 6-foot-7 when he entered the NBA and now listed at 6-6 (without the Afro, apparently), came clean with a grin: "I'm probably 6-5 in sneaks."

Bryant's wife, Vanessa, was there and had prodded him by saying she suspected the same thing

Yeah, I

Quote Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
    Because someones height is their height without shoes. The in shoes measurement is stupid. They only added that to the pre-draft camp because Larry Johnson b*tched after he measured only 6'5 1/2 as did other players".

Players are given the option of choosing their heights without shoes or in shoes heights.

Some big name players choose their height without shoes aswell.

These measurements are from the pre-draft camp.

Shaq: height w/o shoes: 7'1", listed height: 7'1"
    Grant Hill: height w/o shoes: 6'8", listed height: 6'8"
    Kevin Garnett: height w/o shoes: 6'11", listed height: 6'11"
    Vince Carter: height w/o shoes: 6'5.5", listed height: 6'6"
    Elton Brand: height w/o shoes: 6'8.25", height w/ shoes: listed height: 6'8"
    Shawn Marion: height w/o shoes: 6'6.5", height w/ shoes: 6'7.75", listed height: 6'7"
    Dwyane Wade: height w/o shoes: 6'3.75", height w/ shoes: 6'4.75", listed height: 6'4"
    Chris Bosh: height w/o shoes: 6'10.25", height w/ shoes: 6'11.5", listed height: 6'10"
    Kevin Durant: height w/o shoes: 6'9", height w/ shoes: 6'10.25", listed height 6'9"

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...=0&pos=0&sort=

Then consider KG grew to 6'11 3/4" without shoes but is still listed 6'11" and Bosh grew to 6'11" without shoes but is still listed 6'10". Andrew Bynum also grew to 7'1" without shoes but is still listed 7'0". Pau Gasol is 7'0.5" without shoes too but listed 7'0".

The whole "they play in shoes" argument is stupid.

I am just under 5'8" but I work in workboots that add atleast 2 inches. So if someone at work asks me how tall I am should I saw 5'10" and use the logic "I work in these boots so it counts to my height".

NFL players play in shoes and helmets but they aren't measured in them.

With the new in shoes measurement players can wear shoes much bigger than the ones they actually play in to the pre-draft camp. Spencer Hawes measured 6'10.5" without shoes and 7'0.75" with them.

So I've seen some articles saying "Spencer Hawes measured about 7'1" at the pre-draft camp" that's misleading because if you saw a 1992 article it would say "Shaq measured 7'1" at the pre-draft camp" but they are not near the same height. Shaq is 2.5 inches taller.

Height shouldn't be subjective it should be a simple fact, measuring in shoes doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah Kobe has claimed to be 6'4" or 6'4 3/4".

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/kob...1956078-a-wish

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/24/sp...ll&oref=slogin

Kobe and Dwyane Wade who is 6'3 3/4" without shoes

Kobe is slightly taller, an inch at most so 6'4 3/4" for Kobe sounds right and maybe even 6'4" flat.
    You

The NBA listed heights are incosistent because they aren't listing players height without shoes all the time. Some players are listed at their height w/o shoes and some are listed with inflated height with shoes.

Iggy and Childress are the exact same height but Childress is listed as 2" taller.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...15&pos=0&sort=

JJ is only 1/4" shorter than Josh Smith and Marvin Williams but is listed 2" shorter.

How many people here give out their height with shoes when people ask how tall they are?

Saw a basketball once

If everyone was wearing shoes with the same heel, it would not make a difference. The thing is some players wear shoes that give only one inch, while others wear shoes that give one and a half inches. Some players have an advantage in footwear and many fans, as well as scouts, want to know their barefoot heights.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    He also took that measurement at 19, so there's the possibility that he managed to grow slightly more after the fact (as is true with a number of players).