Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    College star

Default Re: 2012 Trade Deadline Deal: Gerald Wallace to the Nets

Quote Originally Posted by KingJames99
    Yeah exaclty.

So is this a 100% done deal? please someone tell me the nets made that pick top 14 protected and not just top 3 lol.
    Just top 3

Local High School Star

Nets have 6th worst record (half a game in front of tied 4-5th) and they hand over a top 3 protected pick in the most hyped draft in years for a rental of an injury prone guy reliant on athleticism already on the downswing and approaching his 30th birthday.
    Awesome

for Portland

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    I'm asking in that post you quoted is he gonna play the 3 or the 2. If he plays the 3, then I understand the Nets could have gone after him (for example, if he's available at their spot) and played him with Brooks. If he's more suited to being a 2guard (and I don't know his game enough to decide that) then I already have Brooks and I make another move. That's my point.

And if you're Deron, you have no interest in having a guy like Wallace? Deron Williams is a basketball player. He's not just waiting for names to show up. He wants a team. Gerald Wallace is an all-star caliber player.
    From what i can see it looks like he will play the 3 and even then Gilchrist isn't the only player they could have taken Robinson, Lamb, Sullinger and Barnes who in alot of drafts is gonna fall just outside the top 3.

As for Wallace you are right he is great but guess what he is leaving Portland after this season and he isn't going to really make a huge difference this year so why not just sign him then and draft Robinson at the pf.

Williams
    Brooks
    Wallace
    Robinson
    Lopez

Looks like a sold team to me but the nets are to dumb to do that here's hoping that pick has more protection that just top 3.
    Last edited by KingJames99; 03-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Local High School Star

I'm asking in that post you quoted is he gonna play the 3 or the 2. If he plays the 3, then I understand the Nets could have gone after him (for example, if he's available at their spot) and played him with Brooks. If he's more suited to being a 2guard (and I don't know his game enough to decide that) then I already have Brooks and I make another move. That's my point.

And if you're Deron, you have no interest in having a guy like Wallace? Deron Williams is a basketball player. He's not just waiting for names to show up. He wants a team. Gerald Wallace is an all-star caliber player.
    Gerald Wallace was a borderline all-star. And as I posted above he's in a second consecutive down year, has suffered a lot of injuries throughout his career, has been dependent on athleticism and turns 30 in the summer.

Saw a basketball once

Nets should just send williams, Wallace and Brooks to d league and tank to get a top 3 pick

From what i can see it looks like he will play the 3 and even then Gilchrist isn't the only player they could have taken Robinson, Lamb, Sullinger and Barnes who in alot of drafts is gonna fall just outside the top 3.

As for Wallace you are right he is great but guess what he is leaving Portland after this season and he isn't going to really make a huge difference this year so why not just sign him then and draft Robinson at the pf.

Williams
    Brooks
    Wallace
    Robinson
    Lopez

Looks like a sold team to me but the nets are to dumb to do that here's hoping that pick has more protection that just top 3.

Does he have a player option or an ETO? I ask because rotoworld is usually very good for contract details, but it doesn't say that he has an option for next year. What exactly is his option?

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Gerald Wallace was a borderline all-star. And as I posted above he's in a second consecutive down year, has suffered a lot of injuries throughout his career, has been dependent on athleticism and turns 30 in the summer.

He was the best player on the Bobcats and that means something, because he actually got them into the playoffs. And he's all-star caliber. I'd take him over Deng of Iguodala, at least right now. I'd take him over Granger as well and for now Rudy Gay. But that is my opinion. Either way, he's a great player.
    Last edited by Whoah10115; 03-15-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Local High School Star

Does he have a player option or an ETO? I ask because rotoworld is usually very good for contract details, but it doesn't say that he has an option for next year. What exactly is his option?

He was the best player on the Bobcats and that means something, because he actually got them into the playoffs. And he's all-star caliber. I'd take him over Deng of Iguodala, at least right now. I'd take him over Granger as well and for now Rudy Gay. But that is my opinion. Either way, he's a great player.
    9.5 mil player option.
    http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...es/blazers.jsp

Saw a basketball once

He has a player option but from what i have heard Wallace will not exercise it and will become a unrestricted free agent this of course was when he was with Portland but i expect he will still test free agency and try to get a new deal.

So as i said not smart on the Nets part should have kept the pick and got him in the summer.

Saw a basketball once

I think they have a chance it getting into the bottom 3 the only 3 teams that are worse than them are Washington, Bobcats and Hornets.

They don't have a chance at being worse than the Bobcats but with Washington making a deal for Nene and if Gordon returns to the hornets (any news on him?) they have a legit shot at getting into the bottom 3.

This trade might just work out for the nets.

Local High School Star

He was the best player on the Bobcats the entire time he was there. And his all out balls to the wall, crazy all energy game was fun to watch and an awesome boost for his team.
    But that style has taken it's toll. To reiterate the "he's not what he used to be theme" I'll post his peak year in the main boxscore stat and then what he's giving this year.
    ppg 19.4 - 13.3
    rpg 10 - 6.6
    apg 3.5 - 2.7
    bpg 2.1 - 0.6
    spg 2.5 - 1.5
    and for what its worth
    PER 21.3 - 15.5
    If you'd take him over Deng or Iggy at this point you'd be alone in doing so.

Local High School Star

I think they have a chance it getting into the bottom 3 the only 3 teams that are worse than them are Washington, Bobcats and Hornets.

They don't have a chance at being worse than the Bobcats but with Washington making a deal for Nene and if Gordon returns to the hornets (any news on him?) they have a legit shot at getting into the bottom 3.

This trade might just work out for the nets.
    Even if they fall into the bottom 3 teams it doesn't mean that they won't necessarily end up with 4-6th pick (in fact if they're 3rd worst, off the top off my head I think they're worse than 50-50 of getting a top 3 pick). And even if the Nets luck out, I assume it just means Portland get's next years pick, presumably with weaker/no protection. And if the Nets aren't great this year, and are reportedly likely to lose Deron, well it might be even worse next year, so that pick could be even higher.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Even if they fall into the bottom 3 teams it doesn't mean that they won't necessarily end up with 4-6th pick (in fact if they're 3rd worst, off the top off my head I think they're worse than 50-50 of getting a top 3 pick). And even if the Nets luck out, I assume it just means Portland get's next years pick, presumably with weaker/no protection. And if the Nets aren't great this year, and are reportedly likely to lose Deron, well it might be even worse next year, so that pick could be even higher.
    Nope just this year's pick i hope the nets do luck out would be great to see them open in brooklyn with this roster.

Williams
    Brooks
    Wallace
    Robinson
    Lopez

Stern needs to rig it for the Nets can goto Brooklyn without a star.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Love this trade for Portland. This trade gets us a high pick in the draft most likely, and it puts Portland in tank mode, so they should have 2 lottery picks in the 2012 draft.

If the Nets end up getting a top 3 pick, what does the protection become for next year?

I think his drop in stats is more to do with where he plays.

But either way...if he has that player option...just makes no sense...I can't begin to understand that.

Local High School Star

I think his drop in stats is more to do with where he plays.

But either way...if he has that player option...just makes no sense...I can't begin to understand that.
    Partially yes (but mainly insofar as that his Bobcat's stats were inflated by their awfulness). But I still think his game was about athleticism and it will age badly (and has already started doing so)

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Love this trade for Portland. This trade gets us a high pick in the draft most likely, and it puts Portland in tank mode, so they should have 2 lottery picks in the 2012 draft.

If the Nets end up getting a top 3 pick, what does the protection become for next year?
    I wondered this, couldn't find definite confirmation but if I read the post quoted below right (it was in response to my post so in that context it seems to mean that) the pick doesn't roll over (which is pretty unusual I know, maybe they misunderstood my prior post, but maybe not)
    Nope just this year's pick i hope the nets do luck out would be great to see them open in brooklyn with this roster.

Williams
    Brooks
    Wallace
    Robinson
    Lopez

Stern needs to rig it for the Nets can goto Brooklyn without a star.