Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Avatar: Legend of Korra

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    After watching the first 2 episodes a second time I noticed something:

It's China is it not? More specifically Hong Kong. Now I know it isn't exactly, and that it takes place in an alternate timeline but in the first two episodes it seems clear to me that Republic City is modeled to mirror that of Hong Kong as it opened up to the west.

The currency is Yuan, the architecture is a hybrid of Eastern and Western, and the music and set up reminds me a lot of many period pieces that I've seen taking place in that era and setting.
    This is interesting because in TLAB each nation represented a different type of civilization. You had nomads (airbenders), militaristic (Fire Nation), rigid hierarchy (Earth Kingdom), village life (Southern Water Tribe), and loose hierarchy (Northern Water Tribe).

It seems like in this one you still have fringe people like the village Korra comes from, but Republic City at least seems to be a direct allegory to a specific place. We may even see an allegory play out that mirrors the xenophobic movement depending on how the anti-bending plays out.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
    i was watching an interview on this and they said they modeled republic city on industrial shanghai, although i'm sure HK is a good reference as well

Banned

just got a PS Vita, found the 1st episode as a free download

Banned

I finally watched the first two episode. I'm really impressed. The animation is sick, so is the pro-bending sport idea. Korra is cool, I don't know how I feel about the supporting characters yet so far, the antagonist is going to have be pretty bad ass if this is going to top the last airbender.

Cool to see the Zuko statue. I wonder how the hell that dude jacked Aangs ability to take away bending. i was hoping Korra would pull some avatar state epicness but it looks like she will have to do something spectacular next week.

Not overly impressed with the show so far but the modernity of republic city and the social divide between benders and people has potential.

After seeing the latest episode, I have a prediction: [COLOR="White"]Tenzen, Aang's son, will have his bending powers taken away from him. He might regain them later though.[/COLOR]

I enjoyed the third episode, look's like there aren't gonna be much filler episodes and they seem to cut to the chase.

Spoiler's about the 3rd episode:[COLOR="White"] Mako was talking about how he did some bad stuff in his past to help live, so I hope they expand on that more and we see some back story. Also Bolin is shaping up to replace Sokka's humor pretty well. ("I want... to be... on... your back!") was a funny segment [/COLOR]
    Last edited by D12"Magic"; 04-22-2012 at 10:38 PM.

The probending stuff is getting really boring. At this point, it feels like Korra being the avayar has become a side story.

Serious playground baller AboveTheRim.'s Avatar

I was really hoping to see some avatar-state towards the end of episode 6, I like how the action is starting to pick up. I think the open war between the equalists and the benders is going to be awesome.

Banned

Amon is slick, I like how he manipulates the characters. glad that other team got their bending taken away. the action on the roof was great

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Amon is a far more menacing than Zuko and the Firelord were. His foot soldiers are really awesome. Really really awesome.

I don't like Korra as much, but I didn't like Aang that much either. He was a decent character, but, and here's the problem I saw going into it, I don't see a character that can match Zuko. But I haven't seen one on T.V. in the last few years period tbh.

But a great villain usually makes for at least a good show. The mystery of Amon, and even any information on what happened after the first show, is what has us.

These guys know what the fuck they're doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Amon is a far more menacing than Zuko and the Firelord were. His foot soldiers are really awesome. Really really awesome.

I don't like Korra as much, but I didn't like Aang that much either. He was a decent character, but, and here's the problem I saw going into it, I don't see a character that can match Zuko. But I haven't seen one on T.V. in the last few years period tbh.

But a great villain usually makes for at least a good show. The mystery of Amon, and even any information on what happened after the first show, is what has us.

These guys know what the fuck they're doing!
    You have to be patient. Only six episodes have been released. I doubt they will follow a role template and have a Zuko equivalent, but who knows?

last episode was great. like u guys, i'm not impressed by korra. glad to see more of the metal bender boss chick though, she's pretty awesome. amon is an great villain. he could have destroyed korra several times now, he seems to have her number and is just toying with her. i have a strange suspicion that Amon is actually a bender himself and he just wants to remove the competition.

Yeah, Amon is the only standout character so far. Korra and the supporting characters still havent developed much yet. I agree with Timmy that no one will match Zuko but i expected that going in.

At least we got some real action this episode. So far the bending has been weak compared to the last show.

part im really interested about are the continuous flasbacks of sokka, toph, aang, and that yakon person

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    part im really interested about are the continuous flasbacks of sokka, toph, aang, and that yakon person
    Yeah, I'm anxious for some spirit world action between Aang and Korra.